Sad KR2

Kend Rand designed his KR-1 in 1972, he also pioneered a state-of-the-art foam-and-fiberglass composite construction method which has now become standard in homebuilt, commercial, and military aircraft.

Moderator: Moderators

Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Sad KR2

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:25 pm

Hello chaps

I found this very sad and neglected KR2 in someones garden in the south of Johannesburg. I couldnt find any markings and it has been left outside and the elements are taking their toll. Anybody know anything about this one?
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Sad KR2

Unread post by giarc64 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 pm

wow that depresses me. You can throw it away now. The wood must be so vrot by now. wouldn't mine taking the wheels .

maybe carlton or norman may know,
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 416 times

Unread post by heisan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:09 pm

giarc64 wrote:...wouldn't mine taking the wheels .
Great minds think alike :twisted: .
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Ok, so I have done some digging and I have located the owner. He was not the original builder but bought it from someone who had done some work. He then carried on with the project. It apparently flew once from Boksburg to Vereeniging and was registered as ZS-WEA He believes it is de-registered now. It has a VW 2.0L motor and from what I saw very marginal instrumentation. The prop is definately U/S. The wings have been stored in a garage and apparently are in good condition. He would like to sell if anyone is interested at R30K and you can contact him directly. His details are: Hardy 083 708 3411
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by giarc64 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm

there is no way that kr is worth 30k. It has been sitting out in the open and the wood must be totally effed from rain and the elements. The owner would be robbing someone blind if he managed to sell it . It needs to be scrapped. :cry:
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Any gut feel on the "Right" price?
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by giarc64 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Nut Behind The Wheel wrote:Any gut feel on the "Right" price?
sorry boet i am not trying to be nasty but having worked on a kr2 for the last 6 months , i think i have a fairly good idea of the value. The fuse might aswell be scrapped, the undercarriage,canopy, engine mount,engine case and header tank if fitted may be salvageable.

The wings as you say are stored indoors and depending on the weight could be used again.

value as it stands +/- R8000 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:15 am

Appreciate your honesty Craig, I dont see you being nasty here! I dont believe I am in the market for this baby but someone else might be and if your input has prevented someone from paying too much then AVCOM has done it's job. The bits you mentioned above may be of value to a builder of some other type of aerie, thats if the owner is prepared to let it go for the market (and condition) related value. To be honest my gut feel was R5K!!!!
ZU-EUF
Priming
Been liked: 0

Unread post by ZU-EUF » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 pm

I bought ZS-ULW back in the day for R2000.00 it was also left to the elements, when i got her home she was still full of water.
In my opinion the motor, mount, wheels are of the most important. the wing as Craig has said would be of some value if they are built light, if not the spars could be salvaged......
I found one that is hanging the store on a farm the owner reckons it is worth a fortune, guess we'll have to go give him some coffee, to wake up and smell the roses......

As with any experimental it is worth what ever the buyer feels it is worth to him.....
George

Unread post by George » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:22 pm

I bought WPI in 2001 FLYABLE for R28K cash. The KR's are labour intensive, but value once left outside is ZERO.....

I would agree with R5K.

I will pay R3K to mount it on a pole at our estate as gate guard, but I doubt the developers will let me....
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by giarc64 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Hey Norm

Guess its time to go and pay this oke a visit and buy the KR2 to prevent someone else buying it and trying to fly this water logged tub :mrgreen:

you know what i mean :twisted:

cheers
Craig
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
giarc64
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by giarc64 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:28 pm

George wrote:I bought WPI in 2001 FLYABLE for R28K cash. The KR's are labour intensive, but value once left outside is ZERO.....

I would agree with R5K.

I will pay R3K to mount it on a pole at our estate as gate guard, but I doubt the developers will let me....
ha ha ha George nice one :mrgreen:

did you see my post on cubby loving under cubby section, took some vids of Shaun flying her late avie. very lekka, shame you gonna wanna buy a cubby again
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
ZS-WPX (KR2)
George

Unread post by George » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:31 pm

The J3 full size is helping fight the Cubby urge at the moment.....

They are IMHO best bang for the buck aeries (omdiedammers) available in SA today.
FlyKR
HASSELL checks

Unread post by FlyKR » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm

I just could not help myself :cry: this KR2 is now in my hangar and I've started striiping it to see if it can be rebuilt. Looks like the original builder did a nice job but some backyard builders have also had a go at it :( ....Will post some pic's later on the progress.
Only real pilots can fly KR's
George

Unread post by George » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Eish. ANOTHER ONE>... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Enjoy...

Return to “KR”