Travel waterproof lightweight canopy cover - SNUG AS A BUG!

The Raven type of aircraft.

Moderator: Moderators

Keep them level
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: Saldanha West Coast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Travel waterproof lightweight canopy cover - SNUG AS A BUG!

Unread post by Keep them level » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Travel Cover for Raven Z090

by Keep them level » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi
I am looking, wishing to make a light weight water proof Travel Canopy cover for my Raven Z090.
Does anyone know where same could be purchased or have made up.
I'm up the West Coast.
If nobody can help, please inform where I may obtain the above A/C cover material so as to attempt to have it made up locally.
my cell 082 925 3821
attachment=0]ZU-FBL Raven.jpg[/attachment]
AttachmentsZU-FBL Raven.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 65 timesKeep them levelAircraft in Hangar Posts: 18Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:53 pmLocation: Langebaan Western Cape

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Travel Cover for Raven Z090

by heisan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Oldtimer here on Avcom does them. I believe he may have Raven templates already.

For those of you that do not speak Japanese, heisan is pronounced 'hay-san'!

Justin Schoeman

heisanToo Tousand
Posts: 2236Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pmLocation: Pretoria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Travel Cover for Raven Z090

by Keep them level » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Much appreciated.
I will search Avcom for his contact details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raven ZU-FBL
Keep them level
ATC Delay

Re: Travel waterproof lightweight canopy cover - SNUG AS A B

Unread post by Keep them level » Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm

After weeks of perseverance with templates, finally have ZU-FBL canopy cover,
:D
Raven ZU-FBL
Scotsman
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Bankstown
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Scotsman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:02 pm

cover looks nice. I will need one for my zodiac. If you don't mind me asking how mauch did it cost you (assuming that you bought it as opposed to having made it yourself)?
James Roberts, Bankstown Airport, Sydney, Australia
PPL (H) and lapsed PPL (A)
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 127 times

Unread post by Induna » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Dave,

Waar het jy die cover laat maak? Ek sal graag n hele set, wingcovers, ens, wil laat maak...

Jacques
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
ZU-RHT | Magni Gyro M18 Spartan
Keep them level
ATC Delay

Unread post by Keep them level » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:38 am

Hi J
Ek het self die temples gemark dan toe n plek oorkant die Weskus Mall laat klaar mark.
Wanneer kom jy terug die kant? Ek is onder in Kaapstad en sal eers 3rd Feb weer tuis wees.
Mooiloop
Dave
Raven ZU-FBL
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:21 am

Hi Dave, being a pommie my Afrikaans is not great at the best of times but google translate is giving me a vague idea. Do you know whether your templates will fit the Zodiac 650 which has the larger split bubble canopy? The material that you have used with an inner lining looks perfect for what I am looking for to protect the canopy.
Keep them level
ATC Delay

Unread post by Keep them level » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi. The canopy design between that of my Raven and the Zodiac 650 are different. Also my Raven canopy was made larger than the standard i.e. For bigger built pilot and pax. There again will not fit the standard Z090 Raven for those other Raven aviators perusing this thread. In the end I made a purpose fit templet using see through dustbin bags(not the black) which each bag I cut open to end up as a single open sheet of plastic. It is static and clings perfectly to the aircraft. Just what you want. Spread each bag until it is smoot over the area you wish to mark. THEN take a Black Perminant marker pen and carefully mark each panel where you wish to JOIN(SOW) ea panel together. Then scissor cut exactly on this black line. Take this panel back to aircraft and "cling" it in place.NOTE at this stage we have not added any extra edge for a hem. We are for now only trying to find what the finished seam line product will look like. The Raven has it's Main Tank between the Firewall and the Instrument Panel. This is where I started to put panel for panel design together. If you peruse the photo, panel 1 is between firewall and the bottom edge of the windshield and also runs over to the black fastening strap and then likewise also turns to end up at the forward leadind edge of the doors( "U" shape so to speak ) Panel 2 is the front windshield only. Panel 3 is the area that runs from the pilots left buttock area, running over the left shoulder, the head then over the pax head, right shoulder and ending at pax's right buttock area. The last panel followed the same routing idea as over pilot and pax. Note also due to the widening and also narrowing of the fuselage.you would need to either cut little "v" in the edges of each smooth splastic templet. Also, when moving towards the rear of the aircraft, pull equal plastic material (pilot side and pax side) upwards so that you end up with once again a smooth equally hanging sheet over the rear area of the aircraft. Pin along this new line(seamline) That's it. All panels are done (mine only required only 4 panels) Now all panels hug(cling) to a perfect form over aircraft. I took an old sheet and placed and pinned each exact panel to it. Marked the cutout panel with a "Pencil". After the pencil marking has been done, THEN and ONLY THEN did I add abouts 20mm extra for a hemb("little v's may in some areas be needed to follow design for flatness") I did each panel like this - machine stitched it together. Back to the aircraft. Checked where it needed tweaking. Called the Upholster in to inspect my templet and gwalajingarny - snug as a bug. The material is UV protected. And the "second inner skin" is soft fleece finish. I could find out exactly what was used if you come unstuck
Raven ZU-FBL
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 am

Thanks for taking the time to run through this in such detail. I will definitely be using your procedure to make the canopy cover. The 650 canopy is massive and I have already managed to get scratches on it which I will have removed so I end get a cover sorted.

Return to “Ravens”