Justin's Raven Build (now engine change)

The Raven type of aircraft.

Moderator: Moderators

heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 344 times

Justin's Raven Build (now engine change)

Unread post by heisan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Just to get the Raven Topic going, I will post from my Raven build here too.

The history is on microlighters:
http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=10232

I will include the first and last few posts below.
Last edited by heisan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Re: Justin's Raven Build

Unread post by heisan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:10 pm

That is Raven with an 'e', not Ravin with an 'i'.

I have bought a partially complete Carl Babst Raven, with HDS wings (short, tapered wings). My aim is to build it up as light as possible, and to fair everything as well as possible. Hoping (yeah, I know it is not very likely) to cruise at 130mph IAS on the AeroVee engine (direct drive). If I can't get that, I will invest a bit more and fit a redrive, and VP prop.
IMG_5399.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:14 pm

and the last few posts

Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Been a slow week, or two. Had to spend time working on the house, and wasn't feeling great for a few days. To top it off, the car packed up today. Which had the advantage that all I could do, is work on the plane vhpy .

Spent a good couple of hours, and a number of dremel grinding discs, cutting up the panel, starting to fit the instruments:
dsc00273.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Ran out of Dremel blades, so I had to put the panel aside for now. Instead, I did some playing with the old cylinder heads. When I looked at them initially, it seemed there was some really bad design of the fins around the exhaust port, so I had a closer look.

There were a couple of fins that looked like they could go all the way through, but were blocked. Since the heads are toast anyway, I put a grinding bit in the dremel, and tried to open them up. Some of them were solid, but the rest went straight through. It looks like a lot of the fins are blocked off with flashing from the castings. The ones that did open up, nearly doubled the total flow area around the exhaust port. I will practice a bit more with the old heads, and hopefully do a good job on the new heads, when they arrive.

Aside from that, I carried on with surface prep for painting. I am beginning to again consider having a professional paint job done - not for the painting - just for the preparation. Wow it is a lot of hard work...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:19 pm

I will try to keep the threads in synch from now on.

Any other Raven builders out there? Start your own threads, and let's show Avcom that 'Local is Lekka'!
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Well, cricket season has started, and that is chewing up a lot of my free time. (More than you would expect, because at the moment I am so unfit, I can barely move for the next two days after any practice or game :oops: .)

Anyway, finally made some more progress today:

1) Finished off the fuel cap:
DSC00275.JPG
Came out much better than expected.

2) Started making the switch guards. One finished, and two blanks cut.
DSC00274.JPG
I actually really enjoy working with aluminium. I wish I had done some metalwork at school. It is kind of nice when you finish filing two blanks, put them on top of each other, and can barely see the seam. (Pity it doesn't always work out that well though!)

Should finish off the panel, and the basic wiring this week.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Doh. Feel like a bit of a retard. Worked out all the electrical systems, and how many fuses I would need, then fitted a fuse box with space for 2 extra circuits.

I then decided to add a transponder, which used one of the spares. And now when it comes time to hook everything up, I realised that I had forgotten all about the master bus fuse, and avionics bus fuse - so now I am short one.

I think I will have to put an extra fuse box on the center console, and make that the avionics bus.

The best laid plans of mice and men...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:45 pm

My ship has finally come in!

OK - I wish that meant that I just received a shed load of money, but unfortunately it doesn't. What it does mean in that the Aerovee parts I had containered from the states are finally here. Or close to here, at least - they should be unloaded at FAKD today. Still trying to make arrangements to pick them up though.

I need to finish with my aluminium work ASAP now, so that I can get the workshop spotless to begin the engine work.

One of these days I will be airborne!

:D :D :D
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:48 pm

One of the last bits of the panel:
DSC00279.JPG
I needed a simple latch for the cubby hole, but as usual, I couldn't find quite what I was looking for at any of the hardware stores. I had some 10mm thick alu plate left over, so I thought 'why not?' and had a bash at making one myself. 6 hours, a hacksaw, a couple of files, a drill press, a die, some blood (not much, but just enough to make the work piece slippery - and add some aggravation to injury), lots of sweat, but no tears later, this is the result. (For some scale, that is an 8mm thread on the shaft.)

Not much, but I really like it - for a man with two left hands, it almost feels like I have created a work of art. I really do enjoy working with aluminium!

This weekend should see the latch fitted, and the last fuse holders and switches installed in the panel. Panel should be ready for wiring next week (when I get the wire).
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:12 pm

As usual, I didn't get as much done as I intended... Somehow my weekends always seem to disappear before I can even blink.

Did get most of the panel finished. Decided to be kind to the neighbors, and not fire up the Dremel to cut out the last fuse holders (you can see them on the right of the cutting/drilling template).

Starting to look vaguely like an aircraft instrument panel now:
DSC00283.JPG
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 pm

And, the (nearly) finished panel:
DSC00284.JPG
Just needs two LEDs and the co-pilot's PTT fitted. Doesn't look as good as I thought it would, but functionally it is great.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Spent the past two days fixing a mistake... Just about the only welded piece on my plane is the the fuel filler neck, which is already trimmed for a flush fitting cap.

Unfortunately, what I didn't realise at the time was that the standard tank position does not leave enough space at the top for the fuel level sender. Instead of trying to move the tank, I decided to try and put the sender on the side of the tank instead. This required the fabrication of a new bracket and flange.
DSC00289.JPG
DSC00288.JPG
Unfortunately, in a fit of idiocy, I did not know know how much torque I could get out of each bolt, and how well the flange would spread the torque. So I just put the bolts as close as practical - and ended up with 22 of them! Required an entire evening to drill, tap and clean all those threads.

Seems to work quite well though, as it produces a water tight seal, even without a gasket.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Leak tested the fuel tank today. Seems to have many pinhole leaks. Some through rivets, some through welds (of course no leaks in my stuff - fuel cap, level sender flange, and fuel strainer :D ).

Need to look into the best way to fix these leaks...

Also made attempt #2 at a trim control. I would like to move the trim control to the center console, so that it can be used from both seats. I really like the crank handle use in the Piper Tri-Pacer, so I tried something similar here. Unfortunately, I could not find lead screws anywhere, so I used a stock metric thread. That means you have to spin the crank 50 times to go from full down to full up! Actually not a major issue, as the trim stays near the middle most times anyway. If I can find a proper leadscrew though, I will use that.
DSC00291.JPG
The trim cable goes right through the middle of everything, and gets clamped in the center piece. Still need to add steel cable guides to the top and bottom plates.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
dolfie
Aircraft in Hangar
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by dolfie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Justin, All instuments on the right hand side. Are you goiing to fly it from the right? Or some secret in the cubby hole :oops:

Return to “Ravens”