heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 344 times

Flying Ravens - Trim forces?

Unread post by heisan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:01 pm

I am still faffing with the trim system on my Raven. For simplicity, I am contemplating using an electric trim. It seems a R150 RC servo has the same thrust and motion specs as a R2000 Ray Allen servo, and I am looking at the pros and cons of using one.

My primary concern would be that a failure in the servo not endanger the flight in any way. I have flown a Tecnam with the trim stuck full forward, and although my arm hurt like hell the next day, the excess stick force did not affect the flying in any way.

I would like to know if the same applies to the Raven. Back of the envelope calcs say the stick force at full trim should be around 20kg @ 150mph, decreasing rapidly as speed reduces.

Is any current Raven owner willing to test how much stick force full forward, and full back trim induce in level flight in the cruise? No numbers needed, just a basic 'Can I easily control the aircraft even with these stick forces?'

Thanks,
Justin
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
dolfie
Aircraft in Hangar
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Flying Ravens - Trim forces?

Unread post by dolfie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Justin, testing my Raven with ful manual trim forward and backward. Could maintain straight level flight, but forward presure on stick to keep nose down more than back force to keep nose up. Did not look at speed and turns.
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 344 times

Unread post by heisan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:30 pm

dolfie wrote:Justin, testing my Raven with ful manual trim forward and backward. Could maintain straight level flight, but forward presure on stick to keep nose down more than back force to keep nose up. Did not look at speed and turns.
Excellent. Thanks for the info. Looks like I get to experiment with electronic trim systems now ;-) .

Thanks,
Justin
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
JontyE
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by JontyE » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:05 am

The Raven trimmed fully forward and/or fully back will not hurt your arm at all, the Raven is sensitive in the pitch which will allow for full control with slight pressure to maintain flight.

I have over 900 hours in the Raven's, I fly one myself ZU-DHA.

I am also an A grade instructor based in JHB.

Send me a PM if you want my details.

Jonty

Return to “Ravens”