Moderator: Moderators

Scotsman
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Bankstown
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

James Zodiac 650 Build

Unread post by Scotsman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 pm

I have been posting my build on Microlighters for awhile now but thought that some people might be interested on this side too.

A couple of years ago I bought a kit through Philip from Bundu Aviation (now located at Zynskraal) as the South African distributor. The photo below is current state of progress on the aircraft which I am building in my garage on West Rand.

Originally I purchased a Zodiac XL kit from the States but relatively recently upgraded the canopy portion to the Zodiac 650 new standard. Although it was quite an expense to upgrade I feel that the aircraft looks substantially better with the larger split canopy. Currently I am doing a fair bit of fiddly custom work in the cabin area with ventilation and the centre console...will post some more pictures as I get the chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Roberts, Bankstown Airport, Sydney, Australia
PPL (H) and lapsed PPL (A)
cap232
Taxiing
Has liked: 0

Re: James Zodiac 650 Build

Unread post by cap232 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

lookin nice James, finally you started building again. I bought a secondhand halfbuild 601 from a guy in canda. I no now why he sold it, gonna have to redo more than half of it, fortunately the wings are still untouched. Andre
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Whereabouts are you based?
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 am

Here's a couple of the latest photos of working the cabin area. The first two of are of a bowden push pull cable arrangement which drives an RV10 scoop vent out into the airflow. With the massive 650 bubble canopy I thought that this may be necessary to keep the temps to a reasonable level in the cockpit.

The third pic is of the custom centre console that I am fabricating to be able to accept one of the lever arm style throttles...which has turned out to be a lot of work but should be worth it in the end. The last pic is one of those really well made but expensive eyeball vents that is intended to provide airflow to the face through a NACA inlet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RSH
Flight Planning

Unread post by RSH » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:04 pm

Fantastic James, excellent project, look great, what motor do you intend to install? :D
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey RSH, I am looking at putting in a Jabi 3300 if the bank manager (and wife give me an approval). I like the Jabi on the basis of the Rand to weight to power ratio...the traditional aero engines are too heavy for this bird and I am not technically adept enough to manage an auto-conversion (nor wishing to spend the extra time on the custom installation).

I am thinking of selling a half share in the aircraft when complete/almost complete to fund another project...maybe a T51 replica mustang or RV8. :P
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Caught a couple of hours in the garage/hangar recently so i finished off the last precise bending of the forward canopy tube on wooden jig in the picture below...extremely fiddly and iterative process.

Attached the forward canopy hoop to the canopy rail and drilled the canopy to the hoop. I don't like working with the canopy as one false move could crack an expensive piece of kit.

Bought a nice throttle quadrant from Aircraft Spruce that I am looking forward to installing. :roll:
conrad_cross

Unread post by conrad_cross » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:06 am

Looking good James - wish I was that far ahead... =D> =D> =D>
conrad_cross

Unread post by conrad_cross » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 am

Scotsman wrote:Hey RSH, I am looking at putting in a Jabi 3300 if the bank manager (and wife give me an approval). I like the Jabi on the basis of the Rand to weight to power ratio...the traditional aero engines are too heavy for this bird and I am not technically adept enough to manage an auto-conversion (nor wishing to spend the extra time on the custom installation).

I am thinking of selling a half share in the aircraft when complete/almost complete to fund another project...maybe a T51 replica mustang or RV8. :P
Couldn't agree more - I am also putting in a Jab 3300 with the Whirlwind prop. The fuel consumption is a little heavy, but with long range tanks it shouldn't be a problem.
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:45 pm

I see that Philip and Q have just completed the Jabi installation course in George last week so they should have lots of good direction when we both get to that stage. I have got together a plan for the instrument panel and discussed this with Q from Bundu so hopefully we should arrive at a CAD version for cutting soon.

Waiting for my iPod docking station from Airgizmos to arrive but have put a trial version of the panel together in the jpg below.
conrad_cross

Unread post by conrad_cross » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:48 am

Nice - only change I would make are the switches (I prefer the toggle type) and radio (V10 MGL). Are you going to use the turn and slip gauge on the Odyssey? Not sure how accurate it will be.. The Bundu "plug and play" panel is a great idea. I also looked at a carbon fibre covered panel online - looks very good.
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 am

Hey Conrad, they are actually the toggle type as of yesterday when I was accused of making my panel look like a Defy product! :roll:
Scotsman

Unread post by Scotsman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Spent the last few days attempting to install some form of custom flashing to pretty up the front of the canopy. The plans purely call for the front canopy hoop which is then visible through the canopy and doesn't really look great so I have been working on a fix to that. :roll:

I did not want to lose the visibility through the triangular gap between the canopy arm, instrument panel and canopy hoop so I have made a cut out in the flashing to keep this open. The interior photo gives you an idea of what I am talking about. The rubber trim on the exterior will run all the way across the front edge of the flashing (hence the gap) to ensure a tight seal.

There are a couple of cock ups on the flashing and I will remake the piece (mainly to remove both the join and cover the gap between the forward canopy arm cover and the flashing (d'oh). Think it looks good...any suggestions?
conrad_cross

Unread post by conrad_cross » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Scotsman wrote:Hey Conrad, they are actually the toggle type as of yesterday when I was accused of making my panel look like a Defy product! :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comet had some really cool switches a while back - they were backlit and changed colour between on and off. I asked about them last time I was there and apparently no-one bought any due to the price. May have to look around online to see if I can get some.
Tony4
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by Tony4 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:23 pm

WOW ! Jimbo, she is looking good. I did not know that you had got this far. The last time I saw her, was when I unloaded all the parts at your house, maybe two or more years ago. My HDS is coming on slowly, but it looks like you will be flying before me!

ps Do you still practice the "Wall" in your garage?

Tony.
Eloquence is the spidery web of ambiguity, but an action remains a fact. Tangofox.
Aspire to be more than the species definition of a human being.

Return to “Ravens”