C150 high oil temp

The leading designer and manufacturer of light and midsize business jets, utility turboprops and single engine aircraft

Moderator: Moderators

kluytsaa
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

C150 high oil temp

Unread post by kluytsaa » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Have just had carb overhauled on C150. Now has excessively high oil temperature. Carb heat has been overhauled and checked for leak. No change. What is the cause? What is solution?
C Africa
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: C150 high oil temp

Unread post by C Africa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:18 am

The first point of call whenever your engine is running hot is the mixture.

You say the carb has been overhauled, so maybe the amount of fuel delivered at the same settings as before is now different enough to cause high temperatures.

I assume you run this engine rich of peak, so to drop the temperatures, you simply have to feed it a little MORE fuel.

If you are running the engine too lean, you could also cause valve burn.

If you feel that your fuel consumption is even a tad better than it was before the overhaul, then running the engine too lean is definitely the problem.

C
kluytsaa
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by kluytsaa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:24 am

Thanks C. I have already tried rich ending mixture to full rich, which made no difference. Engine baffling for cooling has also not changed from before carb overhaul. Oil temp goes to hot stop on gauge after a 10 minute climb after take off. Oil pressure drops to below green. Any other ideas?
C Africa
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 98 times

Unread post by C Africa » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:49 pm

The only other thing I can think of is that with the overhauled engine you are now delivering more power than before. So two things happen:
1 The engine is working harder than before
2 Because you're experiencing more power, you may be climbing steeper than before, putting even more strain on the engine.

Both of these will cause temps to rocket during the climb.

Try to climb at a slower rate (i.e. go for a cruise climb instead of a maximum rate climb), although I know in a 150 there is precious little difference between the two :shock:

A shallower climb angle will let the engine workload reduce AND give a bit more airflow over the engine during the climb.

C

Iedit: In my 172, I also reduce power during the climb, but I doubt there is much to slack off in a 150.
Lousha
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Lousha » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Did you manage to sort out the problem?

If so was it a vernatherm valve?

Cheers

Return to “Cessna”