Cessna 210

The leading designer and manufacturer of light and midsize business jets, utility turboprops and single engine aircraft

Moderator: Moderators

Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Cessna 210

Unread post by Christopher » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:52 pm

SkyRaider, rather than being a means of seeing loss of pressure, I believe you'll find it is a means of detecting evidence of the tyre actually creeping around the rim...I have often seen this on aircraft, especially when new. Perhaps replacement tyres have not commonly been marked this way -- it's just a yellow (paint) mark across the edge of the rim and onto the tyre wall. I expect it may be more common on larger aircraft?

I think you're wrong about ventilation in a C210 (or 172/177/180/182/185/push-pull, for that matter) -- I'm with Pete: wouldn't you rather be sitting in the shade of a high-wing than sweltering over a low-wing design?
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
SkyRaider
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by SkyRaider » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. Think I will be buying myself a can of yellow paint. The last thing I want is to get a "gear down" indication(celebrate) and then land on a loose/flat tyre.

Nahaa mate, I would rather lie down under a Malibu wing(in the grass) with a beer than sit under a high wing 8) . But thats not really the problem...its during flight. But I still love the 210, What do you fly?
Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by Christopher » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:20 pm

SkyRaider, I am sadly no longer licenced to fly ANYthing, apart from the Avcom website, which I reckon I <glide> through, daily! I quit aviation twenty (plus) years ago; but there is hardly a Cessna I never flew (worked for Comair for years, down in Natal) and then flew some lovely old Aero Commander 500s in Botswana, later a Cessna Conquest at Lanseria, followed by a Gulfstream 695. After years of <denying> that I miss flying, I can safely tell you that I <miss it madly>! (Reading the likes of you, every day!) :)
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
TinTin
Radio Call
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by TinTin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi Lads!

I own a 1976 T210L model and love flying that machine! SkyRaider, I must agree with you entirely on the cabin ventilation though, the pilot and co-pilot get hardly ANY fresh air through those overhead vents! My pax in the middle and rear rows however never complain about the ventilation and often have to close off some of the vents as it can get to cold [especially at altitude]. Having flown a number of hours on a TR182 before stepping up to the 210 I can say that the leading edge wing vent on the TR182 delivers a much healthier blast of air to the crew than the 210's vent design!

That aside, I enjoy the whine of the 210 and it's GREAT cruising/climb performance!!

Long live the 210 ;)
Jonathan Davis
"negative ghostrider the pattern is full"
TinTin
Radio Call
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by TinTin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 pm

Coupled to the ventilation problem, the L model 210 employs a rather silly exhaust stack design which has the exhaust wrap around the rear of the engine [between the rear cylinders and the firewall]. This exhaust gets very little ram air cooling and has been squashed into that tight space between the engine block and the firewall. As a result [especially on hot days or in prolonged climbs] the heat can be felt coming through the firewall which heats your feet on the rudder pedals! I've always felt that you CAN'T forget about the cowl flaps, your feet will tell you when they're meant to be OPEN but they're CLOSED :wink:

The later model 210's had the exhaust manifold of the rear cylinders plumbed forward so as to meet up with the exhausts coming off of the middle bank of cylinders. This I believe makes life far simpler for the AMO when having to work behind the engine block as there's more space.
Jonathan Davis
"negative ghostrider the pattern is full"
SkyRaider

Unread post by SkyRaider » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:53 am

Isn't there an STC out, maybe, so that one can modify this so the ventilation is directed more to the front? Was also thinking of installing the air con kit but apparently it does not help at all...

Wonder if my amo will be willing to modify the vents(i will pay him anything he wants for this), because i know about the pax vents being more successful in cooling, there is a blanket on the back seat of mine and it gets used a lot. :roll:
Schallas
Take off Clearance
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by Schallas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:52 am

one day when im big, i wil still drool about this machine... i would absolutely love to own a 210... even if i get fried inside...

can anyone tell me how much they run per hour? and how much the average mpi cost?

And if anyone want somebody to fly with them, i am more than willing to sit in the right and observe!! Or even ferry it for you...

Schalk
Lowaldo
Left Base (unmanned)
Closest Airfield: DXB
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Lowaldo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Dis `n ongelooflike vliegtuig op alle gebiede en solank jy haar met respek behandel, sal sy jou by belangrike tye uithelp. Toeriste is ook gewoonlik tevrede met wat hulle kry na `n vlug.

Groetnis
Lowaldo
Put yourself in a position to follow your dreams to the best you can and create new reality...!!
Burger
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Oranjemund
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Burger » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 pm

This is the reason I fly a C210. This picture is of my little one & the luggage that we had with us. (That is 2 adults, 2 kids, full tanks & lots of luggage...) Not many planes that can do this and take you a long way at 160 kts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fobenoni
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by Fobenoni » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 pm

My word, is that biltong? Good man.
Burger
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Oranjemund

Unread post by Burger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Droewors - the four coolboxes in the background were all also full of meat.....
Da Vinci
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit

Unread post by Da Vinci » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:07 pm

I just started on a convex on a C210 flew only 1 hour on Sunday, and having a "Boere Boeing" Cherokee 6 300 as the biggest aerie on my license, I am still battling to come down from that cloud that flying the 210 took me on... What a machine.....just love it.
One Life - Live it
Lowaldo
Left Base (unmanned)
Closest Airfield: DXB
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Lowaldo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Great to hear Da Vinci

Best of all..it just becomes better and more fun as time goes along!
Safe flying!
Put yourself in a position to follow your dreams to the best you can and create new reality...!!
barfly
Airspeed active

Unread post by barfly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Went through Namibia with a C210, what an awesome machine. I loved the speed, and we flew 5 up with very little luggage and couldn't take full tanks due to the old weight'n balance. Nevertheless, coming back from Windhoek, made Lanseria with lots of fuel to spare due to the high speed you can fly at. Was assisted by an enormous tale wind and had 186-189 knots Ground speed all the way... What a pleasure. She chows runway at MAUW, so do your calculations nicely, though... also, she's got excellent range, which is what you need in Africa...
Da Vinci
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit

Unread post by Da Vinci » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 am

Thanks Lowaldo. I can just imagine...

Barfly which model 210 did you fly with, I am on that 3800 max all up weight , its a C210L. Will see how it performs when I do the max all up circuits next week. Cant wait.....
One Life - Live it

Return to “Cessna”