C210 Hotstart

The leading designer and manufacturer of light and midsize business jets, utility turboprops and single engine aircraft

Moderator: Moderators

Lowaldo
Left Base (unmanned)
Closest Airfield: DXB
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

C210 Hotstart

Unread post by Lowaldo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 am

[
Morning everyone
Hope you are fine today!

It would be interesting to hear from guys with 210 experience and their teqniques on how to hot-start the 210's in different conditions etc please. Talking to people, each one has a diffrerent perspective to this. Then you get different pilots from different companies etc! Hope to hear from you!Thanx!

My teqnique: Throttle open, mixture closed, fuel pump on for a few seconds untill it sounds like the vapor is gone ( not a fan of doing it for 30sec, sounds like you are hurting the aircraft), mixture in untill stable fuel flow! Fuel pump off, mixture closed. Throttle inch or so inward, mixture being turned inwards as you crank! Furtheron I would use the fuel pump if she is struggling. Then again conditions change and aircraft are different. Shutting down the engine by closing the tanks, also helps with the start...they say!!

Regards
Lowaldo
Put yourself in a position to follow your dreams to the best you can and create new reality...!!
Jan
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: COVES
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: C210 Hotstart

Unread post by Jan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:07 am

Man now you have opened a can of worms. A friend got stuck in Botswana somewhere when his 210 had a vapour lock and I got stuck in Hentiesbay with the same. Just could not get the fuel flow going with the pump. In the end I took the cowls off, loosened and then tightened all the fuel connections and finally found the vapour lock at the "spider".

I believe there is a hot start and there is a vapour lock situation. Totally different to solve. I was taught to "prime" the motor with cold fuel after shutdown in order to try and eliminate the dreaded vapour lock. So then you should have a normal (if one can call it normal) hot start to contend with.

I only have about 50 or so hours on a 210 so I will sit back and see what the uber pilots come up with. :lol: :lol:
Flying is about discipline!
AP325
kosie
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by kosie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:17 am

Two methods. 1. Mixture cut off, throttle open fuel pump on for 18 seconds, prime and normal start. 2. Mixture rich and crank, fuel pump momentarily on and off (listen to the engine) and lean mixture quickly. Watch out. When I was unexperienced I started an engine fire on a taxi way and had all the emergency guys rushing in to help me. Very embarassing.
Koos Marais
Lowaldo
Left Base (unmanned)
Closest Airfield: DXB
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Lowaldo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:35 pm

"I will sit back and see what the uber pilots come up with."
I will join you with this one Oom Jan!! :D
Put yourself in a position to follow your dreams to the best you can and create new reality...!!
Burger
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Oranjemund
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Burger » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm

I have owned C210's for the last 9 years, and always use the following for a hot start:

1) Mixture full rich, full throttle
2) Fuel pump on "high" for a few seconds, until you get some fuel flow
3) Fuel pump off
4) Mixture to idle cut-off
5) Crank the engine with one hand on the throttle
6) The moment the engine fires, reduce the throttle to idle
7) Advance the mixture to full rich
8) Once you have oil pressure, lean the mixture for taxi

It works every time...
George
Has liked: 0

Unread post by George » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Burger wrote:I have owned C210's for the last 9 years, and always use the following for a hot start:

3) Fuel pump off

It works every time...
This was way I was taught (stock standard hot start) used every time for injected lycons as well. I have very low hrs on 210, but all starts have been hot for some reason :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jan
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: COVES
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Jan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 am

Burger - I fully agree with you.
The important part is to see that you get some fuel flow. :D
Flying is about discipline!
AP325
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Pete » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:29 pm

On the 200 series Cessnas (prior to 1982) they have two header tanks that are under the cockpit floor to which hot purged fuel is returned to from the corresponding selected tank.

So once you have run the boost pump with the mixture at ICO and throttle fully open (very important otherwise fuel will not circulate drawing off the heat) you should select the opposite tank just prior to start in order to draw cool fuel from that header tank.

Here is an interesting article from the CPA that confirms this.

I have never had hassels with hot starts on Continental injected Cessnas 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
epstar
Engine Run ups

Unread post by epstar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi Folks,

I've been flying 210's and C206's almost everyday for the last 2 years and can't say I have had a great deal of trouble getting them started when hot. Based in Uganda, it is always hot and our turn around times are usually very quick (10 - 15 minutes or so).

With a hot start we normally use the following procedure:

1) Mixture rich.
2) Throttle fully open.
3) Prime using the aux pump on "high" until the fuel flow comes up to around 12 - 15 gph
4) Throttle set just slightly open.
5) Crank immediately while the fuel is still cool in the lines (or at least that is the theory).
6) Once she fires assist with aux pump if necessary.

This has worked well for me. The above article is an interesting read. I have not tried the procedure of 'circulating' fuel through the line with the mixture in ICO and then changing to the opposite tank to start but the theory does make sense. Might give it a try next time. 8)

Mike E
Mike E
Christopher
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by Christopher » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:18 pm

Lowaldo, I was taught as Burger has described and never had any problem; but the real answer to your question is -- consult the POH: it is all in there! Cessna handbooks are complete in their scope -- normal, cold-engine starts, hot-engine starts: all there in black and white.

By the way: as far as I remember, I have used that same technique for <any> hot, fuel-injected engine.
Christopher Godfrey (always missing aviation!)
Swampdonkey
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by Swampdonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:41 pm

Now you need to ask yourself why this system works. the reaso is that because the a/c has been standing for a few minutes, the fuel distribution system (commonly called the spider) becomes heat soaked and the fuel begins to vapourise in the lines causing bubbles. That's why you use ICO mixture when you run the pump, because it purges the hot grungy bubbly fuel back to the tank, and brings in cool fuel to cool the whole shebang down a bit. now once that' happened you can use the normal procedures as described above. The comment you make
( not a fan of doing it for 30sec, sounds like you are hurting the aircraft)
, is based on the pump running at varying speeds while you clear out all the bubbles etc. You wont hurt it as long as there is fuel running through. Always remember to keep the mixture at ICO else you'll flood her.
"Excuse me while I kiss the sky!" ---Jimi---1967-
Centurion210
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: FACT
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Centurion210 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:56 pm

George wrote:
Burger wrote:I have owned C210's for the last 9 years, and always use the following for a hot start:

3) Fuel pump off

It works every time...
This was way I was taught (stock standard hot start) used every time for injected lycons as well. I have very low hrs on 210, but all starts have been hot for some reason :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was also taught this way and it always works.
daynem
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: FARB

Unread post by daynem » Sat May 14, 2011 11:44 pm

When I did my rating,

The instructor, a very experienced man, taught me a very different method to what I'm used to that he says can be applied to most fuel injected engines.

1. Throttle closed
2. Mixture full rich
3. Pump on high for 15seconds ( fuel will cycle through the fuel lines and get cold fuel into them from the tanks and to get rid of any vapour lock )
4. Throttle full for a few seconds just to get fuel pressure.
5. High pressure pump off and low pressure pump, leave on
6. Mixture cut and Throttle cut.
7. Crank and advance Throttle till the engine fires, when it does leave the throttle where the engine fired and quickly advance the mixture.
8. Bring the RPM back and pump off.

This was a C210T but I use the same technique in a normally aspirated C206 and hot start at high airfields this works everytime like a charm.

P.S. If the engine dies after it fires a quick touch of the high pressure pump should catch it.

Let me know what you think,
Dayne
In the centre of every black-hole is a little man with a torch looking for a circuit breaker ---- Lets all look for something positive instead of just accepting the darkness.
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Mon May 16, 2011 6:54 am

You also need three hands :lol:
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.flynationwidevirtual.com/
daynem
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: FARB

Unread post by daynem » Mon May 16, 2011 2:09 pm

I thought so too the first time i heard the guy explain it to me but when you do it there is plenty time
In the centre of every black-hole is a little man with a torch looking for a circuit breaker ---- Lets all look for something positive instead of just accepting the darkness.

Return to “Cessna”