Cessna adds inspections for aging aircraft

The leading designer and manufacturer of light and midsize business jets, utility turboprops and single engine aircraft

Moderator: Moderators

Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 51 times

Cessna adds inspections for aging aircraft

Unread post by Pete » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 pm

There is a lot of confusion re the introduction of the ageing aircraft SID and some owners panicking.... sure there will be some additional costs involved but I think it is for the good and basically ensures preventative maintenance for continued airworthiness..there is not much new here anyway. 8)

Download the zip file (it is a rather large Powerpoint file +/- 30mb file) at the end and have a view of what Cessna is on about first hand without the stories that are being conjured. :shock: :wink:

Cessna Aircraft Co. will add inspection procedures to its service manuals for aircraft built between 1946 and 1986 to detect signs of problems common to aging aircraft. The inspections will focus primarily on signs of corrosion and airframe fatigue.

The supplemental inspection procedures affect 100- and 200-series aircraft. Inspections for the 200 series are to be added this month, while supplemental inspections for 100-series aircraft will be added in April 2012.

“The supplemental inspection program we've developed is primarily a visual process aimed at supporting the continued airworthiness of aging airframes,” said Beth Gamble, Cessna's principal engineer for airframe structures. “Through this education effort, we hope to answer most questions before we release the revised service manuals. We encourage owners to check in with their local Cessna service affiliate at the appropriate times to have the mandatory inspections completed.”

The criteria for initial visual inspections will vary by model and aircraft age or hours of operation. Cessna authorized service providers will have special training and access to specific equipment for the inspections and for repairs, if required.

“Corrosion and fatigue are inevitable but with early detection and proper maintenance, severity and effects can be minimized,” Gamble said. “The new inspection requirements we’ve developed are very simple, and are based on visual inspection that can be done quickly by a trained inspector during an annual inspection.”

An interactive presentation is available for download on the customer access portion of the Customer Service page of the Cessna website, and a short video explaining the inspection process is on Cessna's YouTube channel.

http://textron.vo.llnwd.net/o25/CES/rel ... snaSID.zip
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Cessna adds inspections for aging aircraft

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks Pete
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.flynationwidevirtual.com/
markus_m2
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by markus_m2 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Any news on this?
I see EASA has deemed these SID's non-mandatory - copied off another forum, letter from EASA to AOPA Germany:
Our below response addresses the case of non-large aircraft not used in commercial air transport.

We can confirm that the Cessna Supplemental Inspection Documents (SIDs) for 100/200 series are not included in the airworthiness limitations sections of the Cessna instructions for continuing airworthiness (ICA), and at this point they are also not covered by an AD. Hence, the Cessna SIDs for 100/200 series qualify as non-mandatory inspections in terms of ICA, even if they are designated "mandatory" in the revisions to the Cessna maintenance documentation. The position of the Agency is that compliance with SID for Cessna series aircraft should generally be recommended to aircraft owners/operators in line with the principles set out in M.A.302 and the related AMCs (cf. in particular Appendix I to AMC M.A.302 and AMC M.B.301(b) "Content of the Maintenance Programme", item 1.1.13a). If the owner/operator then decides not to include the optional modification/ inspections in the maintenance programme, he/she takes full responsibility for this decision.
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: FATA
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by 18436572 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:10 pm

I would like to know what our CAA is going to require here for part 91 (non commercial) operations.
This will be a very costly (and I believe unnecessary) SID that will put more nails in to the coffin of GA.

Most of these items are covered by the routine inspections anyway and on top of that we have also had the CAA mandatory x-ray inspections for corrosion done over the last 20 or so years in SA.
This was thanks to Mr Oberholzer (RIP) for this OTT local instruction that was only effective at extracting piles of boodle from aircraft owners and bore little significant safety benefits.

The international AOPA has acted very positively on this and I sincerely hope that our local team will do the same.
ScUbA_fLyEr
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ScUbA_fLyEr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:06 pm

18436572 wrote:I would like to know what our CAA is going to require here for part 91 (non commercial) operations.
This will be a very costly (and I believe unnecessary) SID that will put more nails in to the coffin of GA.

Most of these items are covered by the routine inspections anyway and on top of that we have also had the CAA mandatory x-ray inspections for corrosion done over the last 20 or so years in SA.
This was thanks to Mr Oberholzer (RIP) for this OTT local instruction that was only effective at extracting piles of boodle from aircraft owners and bore little significant safety benefits.

The international AOPA has acted very positively on this and I sincerely hope that our local team will do the same.
AOPA-SA have taken up the reigns on this SID.
they have written a letter to the current Acting Director of SACAA to start the process, and are awaiting feedback.
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks Scuba and I applaud AOPA's work here. =D>
Look forward to the reply but not too optimistic.

As an owner I am starting to think of selling all my South African registered certified aircraft, looking after these things is becoming a full time job..
Have you seen the new requirements just to renew the C of A with a mountain of substantiating paper to be submitted to the CAA. :shock: :shock:
This is untenable and now keeps our qualified engineers in the office driving a pen and photocopy machine whilst the labourer works on your aerie.

The ivory tower has lost the plot.. overregulation at its worst.. maybe it is what they want. :evil: :evil:

PS don't forget the digital thermometer in your first aid kit that will save life and limb [-X , my mate got a rapp over the knuckles this morning with a non compliance.. <<moderated - language>>!! :roll:
kosie
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by kosie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:10 am

Pete wrote:Thanks Scuba and I applaud AOPA's work here. =D>
Look forward to the reply but not too optimistic.

As an owner I am starting to think of selling all my South African registered certified aircraft, looking after these things is becoming a full time job..
Have you seen the new requirements just to renew the C of A with a mountain of substantiating paper to be submitted to the CAA. :shock: :shock:
This is untenable and now keeps our qualified engineers in the office driving a pen and photocopy machine whilst the labourer works on your aerie.

The ivory tower has lost the plot.. overregulation at its worst.. maybe it is what they want. :evil: :evil:

PS don't forget the digital thermometer in your first aid kit that will save life and limb [-X , my mate got a rapp over the knuckles this morning with a non compliance.. <<moderated - language>>!! :roll:
The form CA 21-03 has become the line in the sand. This form must be stopped in its tracks. It is non-negotiable. AOPA will not accept it and all its ramifications. Personally I view it as a full frontal attack on the existence of type certified GA. I have written to the DCA, she has acknowledged receipt and will respond in due course.
Koos Marais
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:33 am

Kosie AOPA has my full support.

If there is nothing done here to collectively assist with the formulation of a workable situation between aircraft owners and the CAA we will surely see the rapid demise of GA.

As a multiple aircraft owner for the last 33 years that is in it for the fun and recreation , the workload and cost to keep up with stuff that is not mandated in non commercial operations worldwide, is now getting past reasonable.

This can be sorted out, there must be no tail wagging the dog.. it is about partnerships, otherwise we all will be down the tubes.
martin.bevelander
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by martin.bevelander » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:59 am

are these inspections now mandatory for airworthy cert?
sound slike it as my AMO is wanting to do it ......"has to be done before June next year.."
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Pete » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 pm

martin.bevelander wrote:are these inspections now mandatory for airworthy cert?
sound slike it as my AMO is wanting to do it ......"has to be done before June next year.."
I don't know how far AOPA SA have got with our CAA with the SID requirement but just for the record both EASA (Europe) and the FAA (USA) only mandate the SID's if the aircraft is operated commercially (ie part 135).

Like service bulletins, instructions letters etc. (not AD's) they are at the owners discretion in part 91 and our regulations cater for this already.
(see attachment)

EASA comments on Cessna SID
Our below response addresses the case of non-large aircraft not used in commercial air transport.

We can confirm that the Cessna Supplemental Inspection Documents (SIDs) for 100/200 series are not included in the airworthiness limitations sections of the Cessna instructions for continuing airworthiness (ICA), and at this point they are also not covered by an AD. Hence, the Cessna SIDs for 100/200 series qualify as non-mandatory inspections in terms of ICA, even if they are designated "mandatory" in the revisions to the Cessna maintenance documentation. The position of the Agency is that compliance with SID for Cessna series aircraft should generally be recommended to aircraft owners/operators in line with the principles set out in M.A.302 and the related AMCs (cf. in particular Appendix I to AMC M.A.302 and AMC M.B.301(b) "Content of the Maintenance Programme", item 1.1.13a). If the owner/operator then decides not to include the optional modification/ inspections in the maintenance programme, he/she takes full responsibility for this decision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 am

Any news on this from AOPA ?
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.flynationwidevirtual.com/
kosie
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by kosie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Cornell Blok wrote:Any news on this from AOPA ?
At this stage we are of the opinion that it is not mandatory for Part 91. If you think you will get an answer from CAA, then you are in for a mild surprise. After all, the entire CAA is toothless at the moment. There is no legally appointed DCA and as such they can not act. The term anarchy comes to mind. If you operate under Part 135, liability may compel you to do the SIDS. If you decide to do it, you will be well advised to shop around. One AMO quoted R140 000 and another eventually did the job for less than R20 000.
We need a strong, fair and just CAA.
Koos Marais
Morphius
Priming
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by Morphius » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks for the update. However our Cessna is in for MPI, what to do. I am of the opinion to do some of the SIDs now and the rest later. The concern is exactly what was raised before, the cost and what to expect.
The need for speed, several mistakes high!
markus_m2
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by markus_m2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am

Morphius wrote:Thanks for the update. However our Cessna is in for MPI, what to do. I am of the opinion to do some of the SIDs now and the rest later. The concern is exactly what was raised before, the cost and what to expect.
Morphius, I suggest doing all the inspections at once, assuming your budget isn't too tight - not only would you potentially be doing double work if done in stages (example removing parts of interior to carry out inspections), but the management of future inspections (some 1 year, some 10 years, some 2,000hrs, etc.) would also be simplified if starting from a single "baseline" starting point.
Ballpark figure costs have been given, the scare is the costs of potential repairs on issues found - no one can predict those for your specific airframe...
Morphius
Priming
Closest Airfield: Grand Central

Unread post by Morphius » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks markus_m2 what you say makes sense. The practicality of doing them, and an AMO having time to complete them seems problematic. In addition some of them is best performed in conjunction with another inspection or routine maintenance job, like the engine mounts inspections that require the engine to be removed. I take from what you say that one should really lay them out and group structure items and interior items and others together.

My penny's worth is to do as many that can be done together now and the rest planned later. I just wish there was a clever jack, or AMO out there that could sequence and give more guidance, I am still a newbie.
The need for speed, several mistakes high!

Return to “Cessna”