Moderator: Moderators

wilkinwt
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Secunda
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Local composite materials for Cozy

Unread post by wilkinwt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Are the composite materials, foams, polistyrene and resins available in South Africa e.g. at AMT composites to build a Cozy?

The Whispers are built with the Ampreg 21 resin available from AMT locally.

It will be great if this is the case because importing is a huge expense.

If any Cozy or Long-Eze are flying over Secunda, please give me a call and make a landing!

William Wilkinson
Secunda
082 772 0796
Mynard
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Re: Local composite materials for Cozy

Unread post by Mynard » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:48 am

Hi William,

I'm quite sure that you'll be able to find all the composite bits from AMT.
I've done one of their courses where they show you all the do's and don'ts of composite manufacturing and vacuum bag techniques, which is invaluable when you plan a project like this.

I've done it for the exact same reason, to build a Cozy Mk IV. I managed to find a parts list online with all the foam and resin requirements etc. it was a while back so I can't recall the exact link, but I will pm it to you when I find the soft copy.

I know of a few other aircraft that is manufactured locally with resins supplied by AMT, so they are definitely your partner for your build.

My suggestion would be to find the parts list (in case I cant find the soft copy I can scan it for you)
Then book and take the time to do the composite course at AMT and at the same time consult with one of the knowledgeable guys there regarding your foams and resin requirements.
Work the budget, and start having fun building.

Regards,

Mynard..
wilkinwt
Flight Planning

Unread post by wilkinwt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 am

Mynard

Thanks for the advice!

My e-mail address: wwilkinson@mweb.co.za

Keep me updated on your progress/decision to build a Cozy.

William Wilkinson
082 772 0796
Secunda
wilkinwt
Flight Planning

Unread post by wilkinwt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:36 am

See underneath the reply from Evan Shaw of AMT on availability of the ''foam'' and epoxy to build a Cozy

Hello William

Thanks for the enquiry!

We have a few guys that have/are building aircraft locally and we have most of the PVC & Rohacell foams available, as well as the epoxy resin systems.
You can get Styrafoam from Isoboard and Urethane foam from Resichem locally

When you are ready you can bring your list of materials to us and we can quote you. But please try and convert everything to metric!

Kind regards...
Evan Shaw|Amt Composites (JHB)|Tel: +27 (0) 11 392 4232|Fax: +27 (0) 11 974 1001|Skype: evan_amtcomposites
Save resources, think before you print. Disclaimer: The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. The full disclaimer subject to this message can be viewed on the AMT website.

Return to “Canard”