Moderator: Moderators

Eddie
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Zuikerkop lodge
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Velocity ZU-DZU project

Unread post by Eddie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:16 am

Hi All Canard fans, I recently bought a Velocity ZU-DZU and have taken on the challenge to get her airborne again. I will post my progress on here for those interested.
First some history: The Velocity 173 LW RG- Elite kit was bought in 1996 by Alfons Gessl and completed the build in 2008, test flights revealed some overheating issues because of the 210hp turbo Lycoming TIO-360 producing lots of heat. After many attempts to improve cooling, they were unable to get it right and later removed the turbo which resulted in an underpowered Velocity. The aircraft was abandoned and 8 years later she came onto the market. I have never been a canard fan, but I could not let this opportunity pass so I purchased her beginning of this year and instantly became a big canard fan...
I first just wanted to patch her up to get flying again, but soon realized that 8 years sitting took its toll and I decided to do a complete rebuild.
So far I have done the following: 3 Blade MT prop overhauled, TIO-360 engine top-overhauled and turbo re-installed, all the interior has been removed and being re-done, all instruments removed and replaced with MGL iEFIS, all rubber hoses replaced, hydraulic system for landing gear overhauled.
At the moment I'm waiting(4 months) for a big order from the Velocity factory with all kinds of replacement parts and upgrades they had over the years.
The biggest challenge will be to get that engine cooled and I'm leaving that for last when the engine is going back on.

Hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Kind regards
Eddie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Remove (ego) Before Flight
RV-10 ZU-RVI
Velocity ZU-DZU
Eddie
Rolling

Re: Velocity ZU-DZU project

Unread post by Eddie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:24 am

some more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RV-10 ZU-RVI
Velocity ZU-DZU
Lindsay Powell
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: Prince Said Ibrahim Inter

Unread post by Lindsay Powell » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:53 pm

I tried to help Alfons with this project, unfortunately life got in the way. Top overhaul is good, but you must bear in mind that the engine and propeller had some unfortunate and very severe overspeed conditions on the few occasions that it was flown. These far exceeded the manufacturers recommendations, but it is experimental, right? I am by no means criticizing Alfons or his dream, I am just giving you a heads up.
PPL, A&P, AP, AME category A & C
velocity2
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: fawb

Unread post by velocity2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:13 pm

where is the velocity based, bringing in these month similar fuselage and wings ready. have to install engine, instruments and interior. based pretoria. :D
Eddie
Rolling

Unread post by Eddie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:10 am

Hi, That is great news. that makes 3 of us... please tell more about your project.
I used to be at Wonderboom, but moved to Clocolan in the free state and brought the fuselage with me. The wings and Canard are still at Wonderboom.
RV-10 ZU-RVI
Velocity ZU-DZU
lodge
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: fabb
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by lodge » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 pm

project looks good eddie,
where did you get yours from ?
velocity2
Wanna Fly

Unread post by velocity2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:53 pm

hi there, will be based in wonderboom, but still have a lot of work, thing will be shipped by travis holland, fuselage and wings or done. getting now mounted on a doube axes trailer with a frame on tobe where the fuselage hangs in it to the harbor in Florida and on a roll on/roll of boat. busy ordering the avionics, radios etc.. at least most of the polyeter work is done, stands now in the primer. if you sent me your email i can send you some pictures. mine is jkm@belgiumcampus.ac.za
Insane
Changing Underwear
Closest Airfield: Nearest gravel strip
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Insane » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Very nice. Good luck with the rebuild!!
Never under estimate the power of a small group of stupid people!!
velocity2
Wanna Fly

Unread post by velocity2 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:12 pm

m close to wonderboom at roodeplaat, where is the plane located now?

Return to “Canard”