Moderator: Moderators

Donovan
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

velocity V-twin

Unread post by Donovan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Has anyone looked at the new v-twin? Man it looks like a dream machine!
Carlsin commuter (ZS-UTS): My work in progress
Wish list:
Kitplanes for Africa Xpedition 4: because Africa was made for bush flying!!!
Albatros: You have to the share the love of flying.
Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wings Park
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: velocity V-twin

Unread post by Steve » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 pm

http://www.velocityaircraft.com/airplan ... vtwin.html

I saw an example at Oshkosh - looked very nice :D
Steve Onions

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
maruli
Preflighting

Unread post by maruli » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:30 pm

The Velocity is always a nice looking plane - not sure if the twin is the answer to current economic times as you have more cost in engine and fuel! Also the drag of 2 x extra engine cowlings makes it quite a bit less efficient than a single engine Velocity! :(

The comparison between the TWIN COMANCHE and the V-TWIN (on the factory site) shows a good advantage, but It would be interesting to see the comparison between a twin and single engine Velocity of equal (total) horsepower.

The main reason for the V-TWIN (according to the factory) is safety during an engine out - (especially at night)!

Maybe a similar design to the Rutan Defiant http://www.337skymaster.com/defiant.htm would have been a better option?

I still prefer a single engine Velocity - maybe a ballistic parachute would give you that extra degree of safety during an engine out! :D

Regards Maruli.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake? (Leonardo da Vinci)
sabrejet

Unread post by sabrejet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:18 pm

I learned from Duane Swing at Velocity, whose idea the TWIN is, that they initially had twin Rotax in mind but then opted for the 160s. My interest lies with Rotax twins as I believe a market for a 4 seater reliable low-maintenance unit with twin engine redundancy does exist. (At Oshkosh Ken Krueger from Vans reckoned me 'no') Note that DynAreo who developed the excellent DynAreo Twin recent went bankrupt. Duane furnished a guestimated kit price of US 178,000 and US 350,000 for a 'Fly It Home' version. An AirCam (1680 lbs gross weight) (twin Rotax 912s) on takeoff or A36 Vulcan (2 seater - loaded) with on one enigine out will not 'fly you to the scene of the accident'. A Velocity Twin with Rotax turbo 914s may be well underpowered as the current version weighs in on gross at 3,200lbs - heard someone propagating 180hp recently.
maruli
Preflighting

Unread post by maruli » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:03 pm

sabrejet wrote: My interest lies with Rotax twins as I believe a market for a 4 seater reliable low-maintenance unit with twin engine redundancy does exist.
The XL Velocities need 300 hp but you could look at the SE Velocity that requires only 160+ hp - maybe Duane could tell you if they
would do a twin kit for the SE (to accommodate the Rotax twins) - this would also be cheaper.

Another option would be the 170 hp Austro Engines AE 300 FADEC turbo diesel - as diesel is more economic and more readily available in
Africa as Jet A fuel.

Regards Maruli.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake? (Leonardo da Vinci)
sabrejet

Unread post by sabrejet » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Maruli - Duane at Velocity reckons that to deliver on a Velocity SE TWIN with Rotax 912s will require in excess of US 500,000 development cost and then questions the marketability of such. He clearly opted for the top end of the Velocity range for this short-term development vision competing in an established market - and we wish him well. If one ever considers acquiring an affordable light Rotax twin you will have to hang around till the bankrupt DynAreo factory - which was taken over in January - gets going again with their very neat TWIN.
maruli
Preflighting

Unread post by maruli » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi Sabrejet,

I can understand that Duane is looking at his top end market - understandably the XL has been his best seller in the past years - but with the global economic crises
there may just be a market for a "baby twin" especially in Europe - anyway I guess we need to respect his decision - and they also need to get some
flying time on the V-twin to see how well it does as it seems to be a mini Starship!

Regards Maruli.

Return to “Canard”