BC12D ZS-VHL rebuild

The Taylorcraft Auster was a British military liaison and observation aircraft produced by the Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Limited company during the Second World War.

Moderator: Moderators

Zak
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: Eagle Creek
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: BC12D ZS-VHL rebuild

Unread post by Zak » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm

I've handed all the paperwork in at CAA the week before they closed for X-mas.

Unfortunatly for me the person dealing with this is still not back from leave, so I can do nothing but wait patiently :(

I've been at it for 5 years, so another week or two will probably not matter, just hope everything is in order.
Taylorcraft BC-12D ZS-VHL
Zak

Unread post by Zak » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Finally, the big day arrived. :D

CAA gave the go ahead on Thursday and test flight was done successfully on 1 Feb 2013.

5 years and a few months after restoration started, Taylorcraft ZS-VHL took to the air for the first time in 28 years.

Thanks to Oom Mieg du Toit for doing the test flight. He flew 3 sorties and on the fourth I went along. Handles great and engine seems to perform great, with temps end pressures well within parameters.

The realization is still sinking in, but must admit it is a great feeling :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JJS
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by JJS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Well done Zak, congrats!
FLYGUYS
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by FLYGUYS » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 am

Very well done, hope you have many happy safe Hrs of flying. She looks great.
ZS-EFI
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 496 times

Unread post by Bearcat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Where is ZU-VHL based now ?
Zak

Unread post by Zak » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:55 am

Hi Bearcat

About 2 miles east of Copperleaf golf estate (2 o'clock) is a little grass strip on John Bonnard's property.

She sleeps their.
Hilton
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Bankstown

Unread post by Hilton » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi Zak.
I read your story about your rebuilt ZS-CCW Taylorcraft. I have some info pre-1964.
My late Dad, who was a navigator in 24 Squadron during WW2 in Bostons, flew at Grand Central aerodrome (just outside Jhb) in the late 1940s. The club had three Taylorcraft— CCW, BLX and BLD. He stopped flying when I was born in 1951, but resumed in 1960. I used to go to the club with him and watch him flying those Taylorcraft.
CCW was black and white. BLX and BLD were Red.
Grand Central is 5350ft above sea level, and those planes, with their 65hp engines battled to climb to circuit height sometimes. Yours , with its 100hp engine must be fantastic!
I was just a child, but have very vivid memories of these planes. I flew in CCW when my Dad got his license. I recall a float-based fuel indicator, located on the cowling in the centre , just forward of the windscreen. It was a piece of wire bent at a right angle at the top. That was the fuel gauge!
There were no radios then. The ATC in the control tower , when operating, gave a red or green light to take off or hold!
In the early sixties, the club bought a Piper Colt— ZS-CSD. A little later, they bought Cessna 150s, and sold the three Taylorcraft.
I'm so pleased to learn that CCW ( it’ll always be CCW to me) is once again flying. My Dad would have been very chuffed to read about it. Sadly, he passed away in 2005.
I now live in Sydney Australia.
Best wishes.
Hilton.
Zak

Unread post by Zak » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 am

Hi Hilton

Thank you for the info, Its lovely to hear about the history of such a grand old aircraft and that you have fond memories of the time you flew with your dad. If you are in SA sometime, you must join me for a flip, and you will notice that it still has the same old fuel gauge as you described above :lol: .

There has been a few small upgrades, like a bigger engine, MAUW was increased and obviously a radio is now mandatory, but in essence its still the same lovely aircraft as 60 years ago.

If you have any photos of CCW during that time please post here or send them to me.

Return to “Taylorcraft”