New to Mooney Fraternity

Founded in 1929, the Mooney Airplane Company has delivered more than 11,000 aircraft worldwide.

Moderator: Moderators

pieter001
Power off Glide
Closest Airfield: NZWN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

New to Mooney Fraternity

Unread post by pieter001 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:04 am

Morning,
I'm now the proud owner of ZS-CBW: '64 Mooney M20E. Barros was the previous owner and had taken good care of CBW. Naturally I'm very excited and look forward to meeting all fellow Mooney pilots over the next years!
Currently I'm SPL in solo, but will now do dual again to get behind the yoke of my own plane and complete my PPL on it. Will also be good to get some hours on type and confidence in flying her. I'm currently training on the PA-28-161, so there is a learning curve ahead. I'm of the very careful and cautious type, so no hurry to get comfortable and confident on my new, high performance, complex Mooney.
Just had to share :D
Happy Mooney-ing,
Pieter Visser
PS: All change my signature now :wink:
ZS-CBW Mooney M20E - Plane Jane -> Sadly she is no more
Building a Whisper X
pieter001
Power off Glide

Re: New to Mooney Fraternity

Unread post by pieter001 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:32 am

Well I want to see if we can breath a bit of "life" into this Mooney thread :D

Yesterday my instructor did his conversion to the M20 on my M20E and it went very smoothly, but then he's an experienced instructor with 1700+ hrs, so it came very naturally to him... I on the other hand have made a lot of mental notes, as there are a lot more things to remember in the Mooney vs Piper!

What a lovely day it was too!

So I'm now planning to do many dual hours and to get really comfortable with all the new checks and procedures. Naturally super excited to get started, so I'll put a message out here every so often.

I've no idea why people are so hesitant to get behind a Mooney a/c controls? I can't wait :D
Building a Whisper X
flashfly
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Has liked: 0

Unread post by flashfly » Sat May 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Welcome Pieter to our club :). Unfortunately haven't checked this forum
For a while so haven't seen your posts. I own a m20J model. You based at
Wonderboom right? Regards, Nick
If you let something bother you, IT WILL BOTHER YOU!!!
pieter001
Power off Glide

Unread post by pieter001 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the welcome :D
This Mooney forum is very quiet... Hope we can change something in this regard.
I'm based in Heidelberg GP. This Saturday the 26th I'll move my plane to Heidelberg from Springs, as our runways in Heidelberg is being upgraded and will be reopened on the 25th.
Great to meet more Mooney folk :D
There are quite a number of Mooneys out there judging by the register, but I just don't see them in the air that much. Well, then, I don't get much out at present as I'm still doing my PPL...
Hope to meet some day.
Regards,
Pieter
Building a Whisper X
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Lood » Wed May 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Pieter,

I'm also guilty of not checking this thread :oops: Anyhow, a warm welcome and happy landings in your Mooney. I'm sure you already understand what Mooney's are all about. There just nothing comparable. I don't get up north much, but will let you know when I do and whenever you come by Colesberg/Gariep Dam, you're welcome to pop in.
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
pieter001
Power off Glide

Unread post by pieter001 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Lood,

Thank you for the invite. I certainly plan to fly that direction once I'm confident behind the yoke. My folks lives in Struisbaai and visiting them was one of the strategic reasons for getting a PPL and a plane, specifically the Mooney for this purpose.

So I'll try all and various routes in flying from Heidelberg to the Cape and I'll certainly let you know when I route your way.

Will also be nice to say 'hi' up here, so whenever you come this way, let us know :D

regards,

Pieter
Building a Whisper X
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm

So Pieter, we haven't spoken for quite some time now and I am rather curious about your progress with CBW and if you're still happy with the Mooney :?: I saw that you agreed with me about the Mooney on another thread, but unfortunately, the original poster there seems to have been convinced to go for a Jabbi instead. :roll:
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Flyhi
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: FANS

Unread post by Flyhi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Pieter,

I'm very interested in your decision making to buy a plane while you still in training, I've just got my SPL, and soon will go solo. Although I've given life after PPL a lot of thought I've not made up my mind on the way forward yet. My future requirements will be a 4 seater with say 500lbs load capacity (full fuel), but I'm not sure to first go a hour builder route of a non certified like a Jabbi or even a smaller certified C172, Piper 161 etc?

There is a nice M201 (M20J) available, and I must say I am tempted to just go BIG, and get it over with - your experience?

Kind Regards
Rather wish you are flying, than wish you are on Terra Firma!
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Jacques Strydom wrote:Hi Pieter,

I'm very interested in your decision making to buy a plane while you still in training, I've just got my SPL, and soon will go solo. Although I've given life after PPL a lot of thought I've not made up my mind on the way forward yet. My future requirements will be a 4 seater with say 500lbs load capacity (full fuel), but I'm not sure to first go a hour builder route of a non certified like a Jabbi or even a smaller certified C172, Piper 161 etc?

There is a nice M201 (M20J) available, and I must say I am tempted to just go BIG, and get it over with - your experience?

Kind Regards
Hi Jacgues,
If I may, most M20J's will carry a payload of 500lbs with ease and to top it, it will cruise at 155 - 160kts burning only 38 liters of fuel/hr. In fact, most "4 seater" airplanes will even carry more than that, but none will do it Mooney speeds and fuel burn.
Most M20J's have a useful load of around 950lbs and carry 64 gal of Avgas.
Flyhi
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by Flyhi » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Lood,

Thanks I take it you are a HUGE Mooney fan..........great to hear the passion! :D I must say I looked at a Jabbi 430, but I'm not convinced that we will enter into a long term relationship, she seems a bit unreliable in certain areas.

Back with Mooney, are service back up and AMO's still available in abundance for them, and is the M20F's still a good buy, or should one rather focus on getting a M20J?
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Jacques, I am indeed passionate about Mooney's and not without good reason. It fits my personal mission and requirements like a glove.

Regarding the Jabbi's, I test flew a four seater Jabbi at the factory some time ago with a friend of mine that was interested at the time. I must admit that I was rather impressed, but I still prefer bigger, more solid and heavier airplanes. The Jabbi is not a four seater and I do not want to be in it should conditions turn bad along the way. But that's only my personal opinion.

Mooney service and back-up is ops normal and will be for a long time to come. There are many, many Mooney's flying all over the world. Think about the Piper Comanche. They stopped making them in 1972, but there are still many around and nobody seems to compain about lack of service of spare parts.
Locally, SA Mooney is most probably as good as you will get.
In terms of efficiency, the M20J is definitely unmatched - not only by other Mooney's but also any other TCA airplane in that category. In general, they are very well equipped ITO instrumentation and avionics, but good examples with low hours still come at a hefty price.
Factors that make the M20F very attractive is their price. A very good F can be bought for around R500k. The manual undercarriage and flaps are basically fail safe, fool proof and maintenance free and of all Mooney's, the F model has the best payload.
Mooney's are a delight to fly and I use mine out of farm strips all the time. It handles that like a breeze and I still cruise in the 140 - 150kt range burning not more than 38 liters of Avgas/hour.
If I have the money, I will most certainly buy a J model (it goes 15 kts faster at the same fuel consumption), but for the time being, I am more than happy with my F.
Flyhi
Engine Still Cranking

Unread post by Flyhi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Thank you Lood,

I will definately broaden my search to include a Mooney, and if you don't mind I will probably revert back for some input and well appreciated advise.

Kind Regards
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:03 pm

You're welcome. :wink:
Dak Man
Rolling from unmanned

Unread post by Dak Man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Is that M20 painted like the flag of Texas still in SA?, was owned in the mid 90's by Riaan Swart [sp], can't remeber the ZS....
Carlsberg don't do Pilots, but if they did, they would probably be Dak Drivers!
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:47 pm

IIRC, Fritz Odendaal also owned it, after Harold Bloch - if we're talking about the same Mooney. I also don't know the registration, but I think it was an M20K. :? Don't know whether it's till around though.

Return to “Mooney”