Xplane and South Africa

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

ZULU-ALPHA-ROMEO
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Re: Xplane and South Africa

Unread post by ZULU-ALPHA-ROMEO » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Flying around south africa in XP11 got me wondering why I wasted money on fsx and Prepar3d
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:12 am

:lol:
LegalEagle
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAVG

Unread post by LegalEagle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:45 pm

This is true.

I think what X-Plane 11 shows that with only really purchasing the base app and with a few free addons, you have an extremely competent and realistic simulator.

A couple of essentials (all free)
1. Ortho4XP
2. Zibo 737
3. BetterPushback
4. Autogate
Mrb13676
Returning to aircraft
Closest Airfield: FATA

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Does auto gate work with the NMG Sceneries??
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo
LegalEagle
Lining Up

Unread post by LegalEagle » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Mrb13676 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:45 pm
Does auto gate work with the NMG Sceneries??
As far as I know yes. FALE definitely works with Autogate.
Johan Jacobs
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Unread post by Johan Jacobs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 pm

I installed the latest version of Xplane and tried to create tiles in Ortho4XP without any luck.
Would anybody be prepared to assist me one on one to get going with creating and loading Ortho4xp tiles.
I am prepared to travel anywhere in Gauteng for assistance to get some decent scenery loaded and working.
Please PM me! Much appreciated.
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:41 am

Johan Jacobs wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 pm
I installed the latest version of Xplane and tried to create tiles in Ortho4XP without any luck.
Would anybody be prepared to assist me one on one to get going with creating and loading Ortho4xp tiles.
I am prepared to travel anywhere in Gauteng for assistance to get some decent scenery loaded and working.
Please PM me! Much appreciated.
From page 1:

Find Oscar Pilote (creator of Ortho4XP) on X-plane.org, he has a link to his Dropbox in his signature. Download all of that (just a series of files and folders) and place somewhere accessible (outside your system folders). Download and install Python.

Next go download the Height files you need from viewfinderpanoramas.org and unzip the downloaded files.

Launch Ortho4XP by clicking the EXE inside the ortho4xp/bin folder. Two windows will launch: ignore the command prompt window and focus on the large green thing.

The workflow is reasonably obvious (with a little French thinking thrown in); start at the top by clicking Earth Tile Map. Double-click the tile you want to build. Press Exit to go back to the main O4XP window. The latitude and longitude would have been filled in (for example 35 and 18).

Further down on the interface under Build Overlays select the tick box and direct to your X-Plane 11/Global Scenery/X-Plane 11 Global Scenery folder (Earth Nav Data must not be selected, but visible).

Under Build Vector Data section press Step 1. Takes a few seconds and will tell you when it's done.

Under Build Base Mesh section click the tick box and select the matching HEIGHT file (HGT file you downloaded from viewfinderpanoramas.org). Press Step 2. Wait until complete.

Under Build Tile section, press Step 2.5. When that's complete press Step 3 (this is the long stage where the application downloads all the satellite imagery). Go make tea.

Under Build Overlays section (if you want the 'autogen' trees, roads and buildings) press the (Build Overlay) button.

Copy the newly generated folder (named zOrtho...something-or-other) from orhto4xp/tiles into your X-Plane 11/Custom Scenery folder. Copy the Orth4XP-something-Overlays folder from the root directory of Ortho4XP into the same Custom Scenery folder.

Start X-Plane and Quit straightaway. This add the two new entries in the scenery.ini file (which lives in the Custom Scenery folder). Open the INI with a text editor and move the entry of the folder with tiles (i.e. ...3518) to the very bottom, and the entry for overlays one above that. Save. Fly. Curse Bing for having maps with clouds. Make more.

Disclaimer
90% of the above was written from memory (at the serious computer now), so please excuse mistakes. But the workflow seems to produce results for me. I use default settings (Bing, zoom level at 16) and am happy enough with that as file and download sizes are reasonable.
Mrb13676
Returning to aircraft

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:40 am

Has anyone been able to create error free tiles for the Durban/KZN region?
Ive tried over and over again and every time I fly in to that area I get a pop up saying that an area referred to is not available.
Have tried at various zoom levels... no joy - it doesn’t crash - it’s just annoying.
Mike
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo
LegalEagle
Lining Up

Unread post by LegalEagle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Mrb13676 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:40 am
Has anyone been able to create error free tiles for the Durban/KZN region?
Yup, no problems here. Currently running ZL18 for the Durban area created with Ortho 1.3. Running superbly smooth and with the default XP11 overlays.

Maybe try deleting the tile folder and running the creation again. Once the images are cached, the second run goes much quicker because there's no need to redownload the imagery. Copy the tile (1.3 does this automatically) and the overlay folder to your custom scenery folder and you're good to go.

LE
Mrb13676
Returning to aircraft

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks. Will give it a go. FAOR-FALE in the zibo is my favourite flight....
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo
LegalEagle
Lining Up

Unread post by LegalEagle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Mrb13676 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:33 pm
Thanks. Will give it a go. FAOR-FALE in the zibo is my favourite flight....
Good luck! Haha, yup, that is a fantastic flight, particularly in the dawn or dusk.

I've done the whole of SA in at least ZL16 with Ortho 1.3 still with some space to spare on a 500GB SSD. Around all airports Ortho 1.3 makes it ZL18, which is a nice feature. I have made certain areas ZL18 all around like Cape Town and Durban and slowly adding to the ZL18 pile.

FAOR in particular looks like very expensive payware with the default XP11 scenery and Ortho tiles.

Let me know how it goes.

LE

Return to “Virtual Aviation”