Anyone want to share orthophoto tiles? (XPLANE)

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

LegalEagle
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FAVG

Re: Anyone want to share orthophoto tiles? (XPLANE)

Unread post by LegalEagle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:49 am

PatrickJames wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:21 pm
Hi legal eagle, keen to colab. I have contacted Mike also about this. Let's do this together. I am learning Ortho4XP am on a mac but have parallels.
You keen? Ilive in CT and want to do the coastal region from CT up to Durban. Maybe we can split up the task between the 3 of us and cover SA and MOZ?
Hi Patrick, apologies for the delay. Was out of the country. For sure. Lets do this. I think we should have a bit of a strategy in terms of how we go about this. How we can share the files etc. I see online that many people share and upload these tiles, so I don't think there is much of an issue with regards to that.

I basically do this.
Base zoom level: 17
Around airports: 19 (for about 2 - 4 nm around the airport in a rectangular box aligned with approach)
OSM: currently using the XP11 standard, but exploring using World2XP with varied levels of success.
Size: tiles are about 5Gb (I think)
Special: If there are spectacular natural features (Table Mountain etc.) that is also ZL19.
We can also update as we go. My dropbox has a 1Tb limit (paid), so should fit the entire SA pretty easily.

Let me know what you think.
LegalEagle
Lining Up

Unread post by LegalEagle » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 am

Hi All,

Just to update. I've been using Ortho4XP 1.3 with great results.
There are quite a few changes to the software, which makes it quite cool from an efficiency point of view so I am recreating all my tiles using 1.3.

My strategy is as follows:
Base zoom level: 16 as a base (might update areas I fly regularly to 17 if I notice anyting that bugs me, but 16 is incredibly good for VFR levels even)
Around airports: 18 (1.3 automatically creates higher ZL imagery around airports through a setting in the app)
OSM: currently using the XP11 standard and looks great!
Special: If there are spectacular natural features (Table Mountain, Drakensberg etc.) ZL 18 as that is where 1.3 seems to max out.
Files: Tile sizes are anything between about 1GB to 8GB. Ranges pretty spectacularly with the average being 2,3GB.

LE
LegalEagle
Lining Up

Unread post by LegalEagle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:36 pm

csparksfly wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:08 pm
Out of curiosity, could you perhaps attach a sample of what the scenery looks like ?
Thanks
Hi csparksfly,

I just took a couple of quick images to show you around the Drakensberg and Cape Town. Cape Town you can see the overlay of the roads and buildings etc a bit better.

Basically, this is stock standard X-Plane with the ortho tiles. Basically just replacing the standard X-plane textures with actual satellite imagery. All freeware (except for X-Plane).

Have a look.

LE
F-4_13_result.jpg
F-4_12_result.jpg
F-4_11_result.jpg
F-4_6_result.jpg
F-4_5_result.jpg
F-4_3_result.jpg
F-4_2_result.jpg
F-4_1_result.jpg
Baron_58_5_result.jpg
Baron_58_3_result.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
csparksfly
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread post by csparksfly » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:08 am

Wow, thank you very much - it is really amazing! I can actually recognise the CapeTown harbour :lol:

This is a great way to "pre-fly" an unknown route.
Skill and luck - always have enough of both
Andycap737
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Unread post by Andycap737 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm

HI all

I've built the three tiles around East London. Base is ZL16 with coast and city at 18 and approach to FAEL 29 in ZL19.

You are free to download them here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... s=5bdefe8c

Best wishes

Andre
pcdriver
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by pcdriver » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi Andre,

Thanks a million for allowing us to download those tiles, you are a star! Please could you tell us how to install them into X-Plane, I can't wait to try them! Thanks again! =D> =D> =D>
Andycap737
Wanna Fly

Unread post by Andycap737 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi PCDriver

1. Unzip each zip file in the ...X-Plane 11/Custom Scenery directory and you'll get a folder called zOrtho4XP_-XX+0YY where XX and YY are Lat and Long of the left top corner.
2. Run X-Plane and then shut it down. Edit the ...X=Plane 11/Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.cfg file in NotePad. The new scenery directories appear near the top of the file as entries that look like:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_-27+028/

3. Cut and Paste all these entries to the bottom of the file and save.
4. Restart X-Plane

And that should do it. Let me know if it works.

Andre
pcdriver
Rolling

Unread post by pcdriver » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:26 am

Andre, thanks for the quick reply, I'll try it this evening and let you know how I get on! This has made my day! Thank you!
pcdriver
Rolling

Unread post by pcdriver » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi Andre, I've installed as you advised and it all works perfectly - I am blown away at how incredible it is! Unfortunately I am not on fibre so I can't really contribute to compiling files unless you have a way that I can do it practically and effectively..... I would give anything to have Johannesburg and the surrounds with the same detail..... thank you so much for making East London possible!
Andycap737
Wanna Fly

Unread post by Andycap737 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi pcdriver

So happy it worked. I grew up in East London so love flying up and down the coast looking at all the lovely places we have camped. I'm working on Johannesburg and Pretoria and should have it done by the weekend, I'm trying a few different things to optimise the scenery so the reporting points in the Special Rules Area are obvious.

Where do you stay, maybe I could drop off a USB drive if the downloads take too long. I have 50M fibre so coping up and down is no issue for me :-)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Andre
ou toppie
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: LEAX Aeropuerto de la Axa

Unread post by ou toppie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi Andre,
Hope you don't mind me tagging along in the back ground. I have been wanting to download and install Orthophoto for a while now but have always stopped short because, for an old toppie like me, it looked too complicated.
Your offer is just great and I hope you don't mind me following along with what you are doing. As you can see I am in Spain and have a decent download speed most of the time so I can manage 1.5 to 2 gig downloads reasonably comfortably.
I have done a trial with your -30+30 and enjoyed flying the area very much.
One thing came to mind whilst watching the scenery was that the vehicles driving the highways seem odd. The heavy trucks were all on the outside lane!!! Is this Ortho?
Keep up the good work
Mike
pcdriver
Rolling

Unread post by pcdriver » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Hey Andre, that really is good of you, thanks for your kind offer, I would really appreciate it!!! I live in Sunninghill but fly out of ORT so I would be only too happy to bring a flash drive over to you and then collect it when you are finished! I cannot say thank you enough, I am over the moon with the look of XP11 with Ortho scenery, I wish you could see the smile on my face! My cell number is oh eight three two five nine 8306. Give me a ring when it suits you! Many thanks again! Brian :D

Return to “Virtual Aviation”