The Virtual Silver Falcons

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Raider
Taxiing
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Raider » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:44 am

The Virtual Silver Falcons aim to accurately portray the disciplined art of formation flying that is displayed by the SAAF Silver Falcons. We use DCS as our platform and we fly the PC-MKII:

The SAAF was the first customer for the Swiss Pilatus PC-7 MkII trainer when an order for 60 was placed in 1993, with the final aircraft being accepted in 2006. As the aircraft were fitted with a South African developed avionics suite, they received the local name of Pilatus Astra.

By 2006, the Astra fleet was experiencing considerable avionic obsolescence and reliability problems. The original South African avionic manufacturer was no longer in business, the front of the instrumentation had begun to delaminate and the SAAF was experiencing considerable problems in obtaining spare parts. As a result, the Astra was no longer certified to fly in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). This also impacted on the training of pilots.

This lead to the launch of Project Ithambo in October 2008 to upgrade 35 Astras and the provision of associated training aids. The contract with Pilatus Aircraft Ltd was signed on 16 October 2008. The Pilatus solution was to install the avionic suite as fitted to factory produced Pilatus PC-7 MkII aircraft which are in service with other air forces. This avionic system is certified by the Swiss Federal Office for Civil Aviation for operation under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR).

Our Pilots:

#1 Ryan "Panda" Nelson
#2 Jonathen "Predator" Stols
#3 Frank "Prophet" Moody
#4 Clint "Chosen" Troskie
#5 (Currently looking for a number 5)

https://web.facebook.com/gaming/VirtualSilverFalcons

https://www.instagram.com/virtualsilverfalcons/

http://www.nationaldefence.co.za/Virtua ... /Home.html

https://discord.gg/tefMA93kZQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author Raider for the post:
Mars
I prefer my office at 10 000ft
Mars
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:19 pm
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 215 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Mars » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:59 pm

Fantastic!
These users liked the author Mars for the post:
Raider
DipStick
Take off Clearance
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 am
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by DipStick » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:30 pm

Would love to get involved if I had the kit.
Aidan J Mills
ATPL
B737-800
L410
PC12
C208
PA34

Aviate, Aviate, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate

Look outside, lest you miss the main event!
User avatar
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7380
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:04 am
Location: FALY
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 143 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:47 am

Raider wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:44 am
The Virtual Silver Falcons aim to accurately portray the disciplined art of formation flying that is displayed by the SAAF Silver Falcons. We use DCS as our platform and we fly the PC-MKII:

The SAAF was the first customer for the Swiss Pilatus PC-7 MkII trainer when an order for 60 was placed in 1993, with the final aircraft being accepted in 2006. As the aircraft were fitted with a South African developed avionics suite, they received the local name of Pilatus Astra.

By 2006, the Astra fleet was experiencing considerable avionic obsolescence and reliability problems. The original South African avionic manufacturer was no longer in business, the front of the instrumentation had begun to delaminate and the SAAF was experiencing considerable problems in obtaining spare parts. As a result, the Astra was no longer certified to fly in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). This also impacted on the training of pilots.

This lead to the launch of Project Ithambo in October 2008 to upgrade 35 Astras and the provision of associated training aids. The contract with Pilatus Aircraft Ltd was signed on 16 October 2008. The Pilatus solution was to install the avionic suite as fitted to factory produced Pilatus PC-7 MkII aircraft which are in service with other air forces. This avionic system is certified by the Swiss Federal Office for Civil Aviation for operation under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR).

Our Pilots:

#1 Ryan "Panda" Nelson
#2 Jonathen "Predator" Stols
#3 Frank "Prophet" Moody
#4 Clint "Chosen" Troskie
#5 (Currently looking for a number 5)

https://web.facebook.com/gaming/VirtualSilverFalcons

https://www.instagram.com/virtualsilverfalcons/

http://www.nationaldefence.co.za/Virtua ... /Home.html

https://discord.gg/tefMA93kZQ
That is awesome post some videos of your flights
These users liked the author Cornell Blok for the post:
Raider
User avatar
Mrb13676
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1453
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Location: Zone outbound
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 am

Very Cool….

I keep downloading DCS and then getting stuck on the initial tutorial and the setup required for keys seems daunting - I guess what is easy when you’ve been playing MS Flightsim for 30+ years is a steep learning curve in a new sim…..
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009 “Miss Daisy”
User avatar
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7380
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:04 am
Location: FALY
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 143 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:40 am

Mrb13676 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 am
Very Cool….

I keep downloading DCS and then getting stuck on the initial tutorial and the setup required for keys seems daunting - I guess what is easy when you’ve been playing MS Flightsim for 30+ years is a steep learning curve in a new sim…..
I have the same problem DCS is hectic can only fly the P51 Mustang around bought the F14 but flip that is for really clever people :lol:
User avatar
Raider
Taxiing
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Raider » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:10 am

I prefer my office at 10 000ft
User avatar
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7380
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:04 am
Location: FALY
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 143 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Super cool !!!
These users liked the author Cornell Blok for the post:
Raider
Matthewdupreez
Take off Clearance
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm
Closest Airfield: Magalies glider club
Location: Magaliesburg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Matthewdupreez » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am

Cool... I'm going to build a scale model of the silver Falcons DC-3 that was sadly destroyed in a crash.
It will be built in honour of the amazing pilots that perished in that tragedy.
Matthewdupreez
Take off Clearance
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm
Closest Airfield: Magalies glider club
Location: Magaliesburg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Matthewdupreez » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Matthewdupreez wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am
Cool... I'm going to build a scale model of the silver Falcons DC-3 that was sadly destroyed in a crash.
It will be built in honour of the amazing pilots that perished in that tragedy.
What do you guys think of this idea?
User avatar
Raider
Taxiing
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Raider » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:31 pm

Matthewdupreez wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 pm
Matthewdupreez wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am
Cool... I'm going to build a scale model of the silver Falcons DC-3 that was sadly destroyed in a crash.
It will be built in honour of the amazing pilots that perished in that tragedy.
What do you guys think of this idea?
We considered this, however we felt like it may be overstepping the bounds a bit, to avoid stepping on toes, we decided to opt out of implementing Goony bird into our display's.
I prefer my office at 10 000ft
User avatar
Raider
Taxiing
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Raider » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:08 pm



Sneak peak at our team preparing for our Virtual December Airshow

https://virtualairfestivals.com/interna ... -festival/
I prefer my office at 10 000ft
User avatar
Raider
Taxiing
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Raider » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:12 pm

Screen_211027_005015.png
Screen_211027_010158.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I prefer my office at 10 000ft
Matthewdupreez
Take off Clearance
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm
Closest Airfield: Magalies glider club
Location: Magaliesburg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Matthewdupreez » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Raider wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:31 pm
Matthewdupreez wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 pm
Matthewdupreez wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am
Cool... I'm going to build a scale model of the silver Falcons DC-3 that was sadly destroyed in a crash.
It will be built in honour of the amazing pilots that perished in that tragedy.
What do you guys think of this idea?
We considered this, however we felt like it may be overstepping the bounds a bit, to avoid stepping on toes, we decided to opt out of implementing Goony bird into our display's.
I was thinking more of a physical model, that'll be hung up in my cousin's office (air Force).
In honour of the people that died in the crash.
Matthewdupreez
Take off Clearance
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm
Closest Airfield: Magalies glider club
Location: Magaliesburg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: The Virtual Silver Falcons

Unread post by Matthewdupreez » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Raider wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:12 pm
Screen_211027_005015.pngScreen_211027_010158.png
Beautiful, that's incredible.
These users liked the author Matthewdupreez for the post:
Raider

Return to “Virtual Aviation”