Xplane and South Africa

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Cralis
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: YBBN
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Xplane and South Africa

Unread post by Cralis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:43 am

X-Plane is now in version 11, with beta releases, and I just wanted to show how awesome Cape Town looks.

The realism, visually, is getting pretty good! The guys who get to fly around here in real life can spot all the issues, but for us PC guys, virtual aviation is coming along nicely.

This is me in my little Cessna 172SP, somewhere over Table Bay, with Table Viewto my left, I'd guess.
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Xplane and South Africa

Unread post by lupedelupe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 am

Well, to be fair, X-Plane 11 with Ortho4XP.
Cralis
Post Take off checks

Unread post by Cralis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 am

Sorry, wasn't aware it was unfair not to list the free add ons. There's a few more I use, plus loads of graphics settings to achieve this - but my point is how far PC based flight simulation has come along. The visual realism is pretty impressive.
These users liked the author Cralis for the post:
bensieweke
BallsOfFire
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by BallsOfFire » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Looks really great.

Can you share rhe add-ons used and also where did you get the RSA scenery?

Rgs
BoF
"Learning to fly is easy.....it's learning when not to fly that's the hard part"
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Cralis wrote:Sorry, wasn't aware it was unfair not to list the free add ons. There's a few more I use, plus loads of graphics settings to achieve this - but my point is how far PC based flight simulation has come along. The visual realism is pretty impressive.
:D
Sure! Just don't want folks to expect that out the box (so to speak). What other graphics add-ons are you using?
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:54 pm

BallsOfFire wrote:Looks really great.

Can you share rhe add-ons used and also where did you get the RSA scenery?

Rgs
BoF
X-Plane 10 pr 11 (11 has far, far more realistic lighting) plus a free bit of software called Ortho4XP. O4XP vacuums down satellite images and generates the scenery code for X-Plane. The whole lot lives quite comfortably under the plethora of other scenery layers (think airports and autogen). Works incredible well, with so far the only caveat being somewhat patchy South African sat images (using the default source available in O4XP), but still quite amazing to fly over actual roads and other VFR features. Each 'tile' (one degree N/S by one degree E/W) comes to about 1,5 to 2 GB at default resolution (which is ample).

Height references for buildings are still missing in XP11 (but rumoured to follow), so South African cities look very flat.

Let me know if you need quick-start instructions for Ortho4XP – it can be a little intimidating at first.

@Cralis, apologies for butting in, but I find this as amazing as you do. Really has transformed the VFR experience. By all means we are all ears if you want to elaborate.
pcdriver
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by pcdriver » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Please can you post the quick start instructions for Ortho4XP - would really be appreciated!
Cralis
Post Take off checks

Unread post by Cralis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:44 pm

I used this video and it worked perfectly.

https://youtu.be/z-bgtLuKdlU

I was the same settings as him. 17 resolution and 3.5gb per tile..Ahhh. :)
BallsOfFire
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by BallsOfFire » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:19 pm

I think I neeed a step by step guide :)
"Learning to fly is easy.....it's learning when not to fly that's the hard part"
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:07 am

Find Oscar Pilote (creator of Ortho4XP) on X-plane.org, he has a link to his Dropbox in his signature. Download all of that (just a series of files and folders) and place somewhere accessible (outside your system folders). Download and install Python.

Next go download the Height files you need from viewfinderpanoramas.org and unzip the downloaded files.

Launch Ortho4XP by clicking the EXE inside the ortho4xp/bin folder. Two windows will launch: ignore the command prompt window and focus on the large green thing.

The workflow is reasonably obvious (with a little French thinking thrown in); start at the top by clicking Earth Tile Map. Double-click the tile you want to build. Press Exit to go back to the main O4XP window. The latitude and longitude would have been filled in (for example 35 and 18).

Further down on the interface under Build Overlays select the tick box and direct to your X-Plane 11/Global Scenery/X-Plane 11 Global Scenery folder (Earth Nav Data must not be selected, but visible).

Under Build Vector Data section press Step 1. Takes a few seconds and will tell you when it's done.

Under Build Base Mesh section click the tick box and select the matching HEIGHT file (HGT file you downloaded from viewfinderpanoramas.org). Press Step 2. Wait until complete.

Under Build Tile section, press Step 2.5. When that's complete press Step 3 (this is the long stage where the application downloads all the satellite imagery). Go make tea.

Under Build Overlays section (if you want the 'autogen' trees, roads and buildings) press the (Build Overlay) button.

Copy the newly generated folder (named zOrtho...something-or-other) from orhto4xp/tiles into your X-Plane 11/Custom Scenery folder. Copy the Orth4XP-something-Overlays folder from the root directory of Ortho4XP into the same Custom Scenery folder.

Start X-Plane and Quit straightaway. This add the two new entries in the scenery.ini file (which lives in the Custom Scenery folder). Open the INI with a text editor and move the entry of the folder with tiles (i.e. ...3518) to the very bottom, and the entry for overlays one above that. Save. Fly. Curse Bing for having maps with clouds. Make more.

Disclaimer
90% of the above was written from memory (at the serious computer now), so please excuse mistakes. But the workflow seems to produce results for me. I use default settings (Bing, zoom level at 16) and am happy enough with that as file and download sizes are reasonable. And if you like low and slow look at SkyMaxx Pro.

I'm slowly building the Western Cape, Northern Cape and southern Namibia. Hours of fun to drift over the detailed landscape with something like a Cub (well Super Cub, I'm not that patient). Let us know how it went, and share your screen shots here.
pcdriver
Rolling

Unread post by pcdriver » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 pm

A million thanks for taking the time and trouble for that, much appreciated! :D
BallsOfFire
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by BallsOfFire » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Thank you, I am busy with this :)

Rgs
BoF
Johan van Wyk
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASK

Unread post by Johan van Wyk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:18 pm

In due course Bing, OSM, Yahoo, Nearmap, etc will also block the download of this... as they did with another similar program G2Xpl.

Google Maps and MapQuest have already started to block this type of mass downloads, soon we will be getting this message for all the other:
Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page appears automatically if it detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests.
Please keep your files, we might one day be able to swap out some files.
"When people move up in the world into X-Plane they will get the 'moving from high school into paid work' feeling and we who have been here for a while will get deja vu."... AND NO BUGS IN THE SDK!

Johan van Wyk
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Yep. Scrambling IP should work though.

BoF and pcdriver: please show us what you have.
pcdriver
Rolling

Unread post by pcdriver » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I unfortunately won't be able to do anything for the next few weeks as my time is seriously limited. I'm also waiting for XP11 DVD release, only running the beta demo at the moment. Once I have a chance to experiment I will post pictures. :D

Return to “Virtual Aviation”