Xplane and South Africa

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Xplane and South Africa

Unread post by lupedelupe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Cralis
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: YBBN
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Cralis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Supurb.
Cralis
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: YBBN
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Cralis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 am

Hey, lupedelupe - is that XP11 with some sort of weather add-on? For me, if I use default weather, and not 100% clear, I land up with strange looking clouds, and a drop from 35fps average, down to close to 20fps (So I lose real time). Your weather looks impeccable.

Nice image though!
jafrix
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by jafrix » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42 am

NICE!! What airport scenery and ortho base source do you use?
Kobus777
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Henley

Unread post by Kobus777 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi there,
I stay in Heidelberg Gauteng and am very interested in what you achieved with Table Mountain scenery. If you would be kind enough to supply me your cell number, i will be in contact.

Kpobus van Graan
071 1122 909
Kobus.vangraan@wkc.co.za
Kobusvolgraan@gmail.com
Zigi@riebenshost.co.za
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:58 pm

I use mainly SkyMaxx Pro, but understand that Rex is bringing Active Sky to XP (which will likely be better, but only time will tell). The limitation with SkyMaxx Pro is that clouds all look similar (although have incredible 3d qualities – flying through them is great), and that they will not extend to the horizon. The default clouds are not bad – and can be improved with various FlyWithLua scripts – but I dislike the all-clear-all-white-all-clear effect of flying through them; this is where SlyMaxx shines.

The scenery is the standard mesh available from viefinderpanoramas.org, with Arc maps at (only) 16. This was generated some weeks ago, but I believe some refinements have been made to the mesh (not sure if SA is affected by this or not).

Kobus, I've sent you a PM.
Screwbottle
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo

Unread post by Screwbottle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:16 pm

lupedelupe wrote:I use mainly SkyMaxx Pro, but understand that Rex is bringing Active Sky to XP (which will likely be better, but only time will tell). The limitation with SkyMaxx Pro is that clouds all look similar (although have incredible 3d qualities – flying through them is great), and that they will not extend to the horizon. The default clouds are not bad – and can be improved with various FlyWithLua scripts – but I dislike the all-clear-all-white-all-clear effect of flying through them; this is where SlyMaxx shines.

The scenery is the standard mesh available from viefinderpanoramas.org, with Arc maps at (only) 16. This was generated some weeks ago, but I believe some refinements have been made to the mesh (not sure if SA is affected by this or not).

Kobus, I've sent you a PM.
Ummm!!! Lupedelupe, correction REX has nothing to do with Active Sky, they are a different company. Active Sky is a product of the HiFi Simulation Technology company, and yes you are correct here that HiFi is porting Active Sky to X-Plane which is a weather engine, NOT REX.

There are two competitive products for X-Plane at the moment, X-Aviation's Skymax Pro with an addon called Real Weather Connector, and XEnviro. I have tried both and in my opinion I find SMP with RWC better than xEnviro, and overall cheaper with two products. Here is default pictures, running SMP and RWC only, otherwise all stock XP11, when I got my tin from Aerosoft a few days ago. They supply a ninth disc with three extra Aerosoft payware quality airports to add.

For those interested I am running an average of 80FPS, on the hardware listed in my signature, 5th gen.

Over KSEA with freeware X737 project
XP11 Screenshot 01 737.jpg
Landed at KSEA
XP11 Screenshot 06 737.jpg
Taking off from Toulouse, home of Airbus, with payware Bombardier CL-300, and one of the airport addons from Aerosoft, again SMP and RWC working, otherwise all default.
XP11 Screenshot 17 Bombardier CL-300.jpg
Weather rolling in behind while flying over Toulouse
XP11 Screenshot 22 Bombardier CL-300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703/openSuSE LEAP 42.2 x64, i7 4790K 4.6GHZ OC, GB Z-97X-Gaming 5, 2 x AMD R9 280X 3GB in Crossfire, 27" x 3 1920x1080 HD panels, Corsair 32GB DDR3 mem, 1TB Boot, 2TB Data, 1TB Linux SATAIII Hybrid SSHD's, Coolermaster 750W PSU
Screwbottle
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo

Unread post by Screwbottle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:36 pm

To help those get a better idea of default scenery in X-Plane 11, with the original OP's post using OrthoXP, here is some screenshots I've just taken South African time 16H15. The haze is real as it is the current weather over CT at 16H15 and being pulled in by my previous post mentioned RWC and represented by SMP.

Cape Town is a payware addon from NMG, just updated for XP11, but the rest of the content, including the Baron is default XP11. The only addon from my side is my Ysterplaat I am building up, not ready for release as freeware yet, as I have located it incorrectly on the wrong GPS co-ordinates, by quite a few feet in real world standards, and being new to Overlay Editor, World Editor etc. I need to figure out how to move the entire airport to correct GPS, and not start over. I am also going to finish off the Table Mountain Cable car, as I see that in XP11, they have located the lower station correctly as per the GPS co-ordinates, why they did not add the top station, lines and cars I would not know!!!!!

This is my birthplace and home for 22 years, where I learned to fly in the real world, so know this scenery like the back of my hand, even by today's standards. Now Gauteng (aleng) has been my home for the past 36 years.

NMG Cape Town Airport
XP11 Screenshot 27 Baron_58.jpg
Now what's wrong with that default Table Mountain and city, over a heavy OrthoXP. You will see on the left edge Ysterplaat I am working on
XP11 Screenshot 28 Baron_58.jpg
Signal Hill in a fairly accurate rendition, just needs the gun battery camp placed on top of it. Lions head to the right needs work, not quite right. And the Green Point stadium needs to be realised in the marks of it on the ground, bottom left of pic.
XP11 Screenshot 29 Baron_58.jpg
The V&A waterfront is plausable as Austin Meyer likes to use in describing his scenery.
XP11 Screenshot 30 Baron_58.jpg
Another view of Ysterplaat off the port wing in the distance, not the closer repesentation of Paarden Eiland
XP11 Screenshot 34 Baron_58.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Screwbottle

W10 Pro 1703/openSuSE LEAP 42.2 x64, i7 4790K 4.6GHZ OC, GB Z-97X-Gaming 5, 2 x AMD R9 280X 3GB in Crossfire, 27" x 3 1920x1080 HD panels, Corsair 32GB DDR3 mem, 1TB Boot, 2TB Data, 1TB Linux SATAIII Hybrid SSHD's, Coolermaster 750W PSU
Johan van Wyk
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASK
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Johan van Wyk » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:13 pm

For the vintage fans, this is coming to X-Plane soon...

Douglas C-47 with a highly detailed 3D cockpit, this one being tested in X-Plane 10. Beta in the 8th week now and we are also doing a 80% scale real cockpit utilising Teensy and Arduino.
"When people move up in the world into X-Plane they will get the 'moving from high school into paid work' feeling and we who have been here for a while will get deja vu."... AND NO BUGS IN THE SDK!

Johan van Wyk
RuanS
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 9 times

Unread post by RuanS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Some more X-Plane 11 pics.
Hoekstes
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FYML

Unread post by Hoekstes » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm

lupedelupe wrote: 5
Under Build Tile section, press Step 2.5. When that's complete press Step 3 (this is the long stage where the application downloads all the satellite imagery). Go make tea.
Hi Lupedelupe, (classic handle btw)

Is there a way to see what the max available LOD is? For instance, how do I know if I will be able to download LOD18 for a specific region?

Thanks!

Hoekstes
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Hoekstes, no idea ... build some tiles and test (and let us know :wink: ).

Johan van Wyk, is that the new LES DC-3?
roycda
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: fysm

Unread post by roycda » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 am

I`m a avid xp11 user and in combination with Garmin pilot on my iPad I can easily spend hours exploring the virtual skies.
Johan van Wyk
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASK
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Johan van Wyk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:13 pm

lupedelupe wrote:Hoekstes, no idea ... build some tiles and test (and let us know :wink: ).

Johan van Wyk, is that the new LES DC-3?
Sorry for the late reply, but no, it is the Aeroworx reworked P3D Manfred Jahn C-47 for X-Plane 10/11.

You can get it from the links below, already had 1200 downloads in 48 hours and number 2 on the X-Plane Leader Board.

Be advised, it is still a beta and treat it a beta...

X-Plane 11 Download

X-Plane 10 Download
Last edited by Johan van Wyk on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When people move up in the world into X-Plane they will get the 'moving from high school into paid work' feeling and we who have been here for a while will get deja vu."... AND NO BUGS IN THE SDK!

Johan van Wyk
lupedelupe
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lupedelupe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 am

Thank you ... have it ... impressed. :wink:

Return to “Virtual Aviation”