Fsx gold edition

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

RudiErasmus
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Fsx gold edition

Unread post by RudiErasmus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi all,

Is there maybe someone that can assist me in sharing fsx gold edition disks through drop box etc? I have not bused my original in a while and I only have disk 2 with the license keys.

Microsoft can not help me and said I must purchase a new copy😡.

Assistance will be much appreciated

Thank you.
Rudi Erasmus
RuanS
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Fsx gold edition

Unread post by RuanS » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi Rudi,

Maybe buy a digital copy on steam? That way you can always redownload it and not worry about license keys.
FSX is currently R94 on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3141 ... m_Edition/
skydancer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by skydancer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:55 pm

RuanS wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm
Hi Rudi,

Maybe buy a digital copy on steam? That way you can always redownload it and not worry about license keys.
Im not happy with steam my honest opinion.a friend of mine bought games over his steam account,and somehow his account was hacked and a few of his games were stolen.Yes if it was safer i would have recommended it too,but i myself am not too keen about steam.
RuanS
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 12 times

Unread post by RuanS » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:22 am

skydancer wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:55 pm
RuanS wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm
Hi Rudi,

Im not happy with steam my honest opinion.a friend of mine bought games over his steam account,and somehow his account was hacked and a few of his games were stolen.Yes if it was safer i would have recommended it too,but i myself am not too keen about steam.
Understood. I know steam has had some issues but it was addressed with new security features.
I have all my sims on Steam (Even got one for free on steam) and have had not any issues.

I might have a digital copy somewhere but, I am busy relocating to cape town and everything is packed away in boxes. Uploading it to Dropbox might be another problem due to the size.
jvdl
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FABL
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by jvdl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:29 am

skydancer wrote:
his account was hacked and a few of his games were stolen.
Could you elaborate on this? Steam does not allow the transfer of games between accounts.

I currently have 384 games on Steam, and multiple high-value items in games like DOTA, and have never had any issues with the security of my account.
"A man provided with paper, pencil, and rubber, and subject to strict discipline, is in effect a universal machine." - Alan Turing

Open Aircraft Register: https://aircraftregister.co.za <-- :!: Intermittent uptime due to load shedding :!:
LegalEagle
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by LegalEagle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 pm

I tend to agree with jvdl,

As long as you have safe password practices etc, Steam is the way to go.
skydancer
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by skydancer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm

jvdl wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:29 am
skydancer wrote:
Could you elaborate on this? Steam does not allow the transfer of games between accounts.

I currently have 384 games on Steam, and multiple high-value items in games like DOTA, and have never had any issues with the security of my account.
Well a friend of mine has been on Steam for 13yrs and this was also the first for him. He mentioned to me, that he simply received an email from Steam services that his account might have possibly been hacked, he had to try and log in and change his password. Thats all info I have so far.
Look if the security measure is good then I suppose for some its the way to go perhaps, in terms of digital backups and redownloading it again when needed. But hey, hackers around the world always tend to have a way around anything, even when we sometimes think its impossible.
jvdl
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by jvdl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:30 pm

skydancer wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm
jvdl wrote:
skydancer wrote:

Well a friend of mine has been on Steam for 13yrs and this was also the first for him. He mentioned to me, that he simply received an email from Steam services that his account might have possibly been hacked, he had to try and log in and change his password. Thats all info I have so far.
Look if the security measure is good then I suppose for some its the way to go perhaps, in terms of digital backups and redownloading it again when needed. But hey, hackers around the world always tend to have a way around anything, even when we sometimes think its impossible.
I understand that a Steam profile can be hacked (which is why it's so important to enable 2FA everywhere), but I don't understand how his games were "stolen". The games can't be transferred away from his account, nor can keys be reused on a different account. All he needs to do is reset his password via the email address registered to his Steam account, and add 2FA. That's it.
"A man provided with paper, pencil, and rubber, and subject to strict discipline, is in effect a universal machine." - Alan Turing

Open Aircraft Register: https://aircraftregister.co.za <-- :!: Intermittent uptime due to load shedding :!:
skydancer
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by skydancer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:50 pm

jvdl wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:30 pm
skydancer wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm
jvdl wrote:

I understand that a Steam profile can be hacked (which is why it's so important to enable 2FA everywhere), but I don't understand how his games were "stolen". The games can't be transferred away from his account, nor can keys be reused on a different account. All he needs to do is reset his password via the email address registered to his Steam account, and add 2FA. That's it.
No I agree with you on that,and im not sure what kind of security software he has in place to prevent hackers from attacking.
But from what he has told me it does sound secure enough to prevent hackers from copying or transferring games from one account to another. But still, for me and maybe im old school, but I generally like the idea of having all my discs closeby in case I need them and have as little as possible on my pc, only the essential ;-)
snoopy
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by snoopy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Steam linked multiplayer games get hacked. I've had to reinstall steam games from scratch as a result.

The problem with putting FSX on dropbox is twofold -

1 It would be illegal
2. The content is huge to upload to and to download via dropbox.

Rather try buying a used box of FSX Gold. If you dont still fly FS9, then FSX Gold would be the next best version to own.

I know you can still buy it on ebay. If I still had old stock of it - I would offer to sell one new set to you - but all sold out. :arrow:

I see there are also 2 box sets left on Amazon (non Steam edition)
Vivere come se mai dovessimo morire
jvdl
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by jvdl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:55 pm

snoopy wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:13 pm
Steam linked multiplayer games get hacked. I've had to reinstall steam games from scratch as a result.
The mind boggles, but I'll bite. Somebody "hacked" your games... and corrupted your game files to require a reinstall? :? What on earth do you people do to your computers?

snoopy
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by snoopy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 pm

jvdl wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:55 pm
The mind boggles, but I'll bite. Somebody "hacked" your games... and corrupted your game files to require a reinstall? :? What on earth do you people do to your computers?
I'm surprised you are so surprised and that you think the cause is on a users computer side :lol: - Steam itself is a hack-able platform mate...do some research. Its a P2P network. At one stage 77,000 steam accounts were hacked monthly. :idea:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/19618/
jvdl
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by jvdl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 pm

snoopy wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 pm
I'm surprised you are so surprised and that you think the cause is on a users computer side :lol: - Steam itself is a hack-able platform mate...do some research. Its a P2P network. At one stage 77,000 steam accounts were hacked monthly. :idea:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/19618/
No, let's take a step back... Why did a Steam account hack require you to reinstall the games? What happened to the game files? How is it possible that an account hack (username/password combo) could physically affect the files on your computer?

snoopy
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by snoopy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:37 pm

lets just take the reality - removing the game software, and steam - and doing a fresh install - sorted out the hacked files (externally modified code that destabilized the game itself) ;not viruses -The only external access to those files were via steam multiplayer ports. As simple as that. Steam runs updates itself as we all know - a lot of it is advertising to buy into other games on its platform , it appears to be more secure these days, but once bitten twice shy. I've been using it for ages, yet only have one multiplayer game left on it. But not FSX.

Steam itself recommends this in terms of your firewall...."Give Steam executables permission for all TCP and UDP ports"

If hackers can post this on the net - "free steam hack that gets u all games" (on steam). You still so confident about Steam itself being bulletproof? No. :arrow:
jvdl
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by jvdl » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm

snoopy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:37 pm
lets just take the reality - removing the game software, and steam - and doing a fresh install - sorted out the hacked files (externally modified code that destabilized the game itself) ;not viruses
No need to do that. Steam can check the files against the expected checksum indices and replace any that don't conform. In fact, Steam will do this automatically for damaged/corrupted files that do not have the expected checksum.
snoopy wrote:
The only external access to those files were via steam multiplayer ports. As simple as that.
Not quite that simple. An open port does not automatically mean all-encompassing remote file access/execution. In fact, exploits allowing remote file access are rare and difficult to execute, and usually only done via back-door / trojan. There seems to be a misconception in this thread that hackers are omnipotent and this is just not true. Gaining this level of access is difficult, and near impossible when the only advantage the hacker has is a random open port.
snoopy wrote:
Steam runs updates itself as we all know - a lot of it is advertising to buy into other games on its platform , it appears to be more secure these days, but once bitten twice shy. I've been using it for ages, yet only have one multiplayer game left on it. But not FSX.
Ads are just image files loaded on Steam startup, hence daily ad changes without updates to the Steam platform itself. Ads are not part of the Steam package updates.
snoopy wrote:
Steam itself recommends this in terms of your firewall...."Give Steam executables permission for all TCP and UDP ports"
There is no reason why a trusted application should not be granted permission to bind the ports it needs. I don't see why this is a cause for paranoia or concern.
snoopy wrote:
If hackers can post this on the net - "free steam hack that gets u all games" (on steam). You still so confident about Steam itself being bulletproof? No. :arrow:
Well, if you can't tell the difference between hackers and just plain old scammers... :lol:

Return to “Virtual Aviation”