Fuel Loads

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Sidewinder
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Fuel Loads

Unread post by Sidewinder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Anyone know a real B738 pilot (or dispatchers) on here that might care to share what typical fuel loads are for, say, a typical FACT-FAOR trip? I'm talking about total fuel they would carry in the tanks.

I know weight and weather are big factors so I'm just looking for a very basic average.

I'd love to see how my flight sim habits in my sim's 738 compares. I'm purely an enthusiast so I don't even have an idea what the real things carry on such a flight. I try to consider the flight, alternate and even a small reserve with a bit of padding for taxi time. But I could be carrying way too much or too little. So I'd love to hear some real-life examples.
"We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet." -Lieutenant Cecil Lewis
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Fuel Loads

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm

.....way back on the old 73's from Wdh to Cpt/Jnb the fuel load with a relatively full load would be average 7200 kg - now idea what the newer ones burn.
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by happyskipper » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm

I don't know the B737's figures - but at Safair we would load 20 tons of fuel onto the B727 - sometimes more, sometimes less, but those three engines were thirsty, even if we beat every other airliner to Cape Town, time-wise.... :D
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
Sidewinder

Unread post by Sidewinder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks for the input so far. Both examples are personal favorites of mine and as such I have payware examples of both aircraft (especially the 737-200) and I spend a good amount of time buzzing about in those as well.

Not to push my luck too far here but - any idea what the typical alternate airports for our local airlines are? Again, don't know the official rules. For instance, flights into Johannesburg or Cape Town? Bloem and George, respectively? Or do they look at airports further away?

I'm in an inquisitive mood this afternoon.
"We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet." -Lieutenant Cecil Lewis
Cornell Blok
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Sidewinder wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 pm
Anyone know a real B738 pilot (or dispatchers) on here that might care to share what typical fuel loads are for, say, a typical FACT-FAOR trip? I'm talking about total fuel they would carry in the tanks.

I know weight and weather are big factors so I'm just looking for a very basic average.

I'd love to see how my flight sim habits in my sim's 738 compares. I'm purely an enthusiast so I don't even have an idea what the real things carry on such a flight. I try to consider the flight, alternate and even a small reserve with a bit of padding for taxi time. But I could be carrying way too much or too little. So I'd love to hear some real-life examples.
S
Just for intrest sake have you seen this great website

https://www.simbrief.com
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.travelairva.com
Sidewinder

Unread post by Sidewinder » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Great site that, yes. But I'm still genuinely interested to hear real world examples.
jaggedassasins
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by jaggedassasins » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:04 pm

I dont work in airlines but in private charter so I cant help with fuel loads.

But when we plan a FALA-FACT flight we generally will use FAGG as alternate unless weather is very bad there. In which case most probably Bloem.
Vcrit
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Vcrit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 am

Cpt Jnb 6000 kgs with FAOR as 1st altn. Trip 4100kgs
Jnb cpt 7700 kgs with FAGG as 1st altn. Trip 4400kgs

These figures are from memory, and my memory might not be be very good.
AOYB
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by AOYB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:29 am

Those figures are fairly close to what we use on average.
Had 7.4 JNB-CPT with FALW as first alternate. ZFW 56000

Then 6.8 CPT-JNB with FALA as first alternate. ZFW 55500
I am the last Cylon...
Sidewinder

Unread post by Sidewinder » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Brilliant, thanks guys. =D>

Return to “Virtual Aviation”