Scam Alert

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

RickduPreez
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Scam Alert

Unread post by RickduPreez » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 pm

I recently got scammed by someone who used the name of Benjamin van Straaten (probably a stolen identity) I unfortunately gave this crook a copy of my driver's licence. He is now using my credentials to try and scam other victims. I bought a Bose A20 set from him, which was non existent.

I found a newly created profile closely matching mine. My profile is "RickduPreez" (created in 2016), the new profile uses a combination of my name and surname, but was created in 2019. I do not want to mention the possible scamming user directly, but I have opened up a case of fraud with the police.

I feel really dumb for falling for a deal that is too good to be true. I don't care about the money, but do care about protecting my name.

Please be on the lookout for anybody using my name to sell products and services on Avcom.

He will either use "Benjamin van Straaten" or my name "Rick du Preez". He will provide you with a copy of my driver's licence to secure the deal. Don't do it!
jaxx_za
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Scam Alert

Unread post by jaxx_za » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Sorry to hear Rick.

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest you create a similar thread on Carbonite and AVForums SA.

Seen similar MO from scanners on Carbonite, so there's a good chance they'll try to use your ID there. Infact search for the Groenewald brothers on Carbonite - they are known scammers and might even be the same guys that conned you.

Good luck.

EDIT TO ADD:
The only time I saw a need to share ones ID with seller was when I was asked to ship via RAM with ID verification upon delivery, in which case RAM wanted a copy of the ID when booking the courier. In such a case however, it would be safer for the buyer to arrange courier.

There should never be a need to share a copy of ones ID otherwise when dealing online.

Return to “Virtual Aviation”