Still using Fs9?

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you still use FS9, FSX, XP11, or P3Dv4? Interested in a FS9 group to keep it alive?

FS9
20%
FSX
34%
XP11
27%
P3dv4
9%
Yes, I am interested
11%

Total votes: 56
A51_PieFly
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Still using Fs9?

Unread post by A51_PieFly » Wed May 29, 2019 10:54 am

Good day all,
As an avid aviation enthusiast and flight-simmer, i am curious as to how many people are still using FS9?

Still today i use my FS9, and i am looking for people like myself still enjoying FS9 and create a small community in which we can share ideas etc etc and so forth. Now some may ask why didnt you switch to FSX,X- plane 11, or P3Dv4? well the answer is quite simple...over the years I have invested in alot of addons and countless hours tweaking and editing in flightsim (like the most of us have) to get the best results to my liking, and to be fair, I honestly believe that my sim can compete with FSX regarding eye-candy with exception to a few minor details of course.

But the main reason that i am still using FS9 is purely because of performance, I have a pretty decent rig at the moment (see specs below) and even with some of the detailed airports and aircraft i still get a constant 60fps locked on maxed settings + ENB (which is an absolute joy!!). I never had this pleasure of an expensive rig to run my FS9 in previous years..so i was at best flying with 20 to 40 Fps, although i wasnt fully happy with it, i had to settle for it,because that's what i could afford to keep my passion for aviation alive. I still use FS9 but sadly the addon world for FS9 is slowly dying and some big brand addons are no longer supporting the FS9 community, FSX has some great addons i do admit...but there is no better feeling than to get in Milton shupes Lodestar and taking a sunset flight...

With that said is there anyone willing to create with me a small community where the focus is FS9(FSX,XP11,P3dv4 wont be turned away,you also welcome to join :D )? I know its a long shot and FS9 users will be far and in between..but its worth a shot....i really just want to keep FS9 alive... and feel that i am not the only one.

So please if anyone is interested and is active with FS9 please drop me a message and lets see what we can do. below is a few pics of my sim and my specs.

Thanks!

Specs:

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F GAMING
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Cooler: Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 Liquid Cooling
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP EXTREME
Ram: 16GB CORSAIR Vengeance DDR4 RAM
HD #1: 256gb M.2 (OP W10)
HD #2: 480GB SSD
HD #3: 1TB HDD
Screen: DELL SE2717H 27" FHD 1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor
Case: AeroCool Quartz-Blue Front and Side Tempered Glass Mid Tower
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christo
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Still using Fs9?

Unread post by Christo » Wed May 29, 2019 11:03 am

With that rig you should have no problem running P3D, XP11 at 60FPS maybe another 16GB of memory and you'll be perfect. Remember you are sticking to a 32bit application whereas P3D and XP11 are all 64bit now using all that beautiful memory :D

If I were you I will install either one of them and gradually move over. I went completely XP11 some years ago, loosing a cr@pload of paid addons for FSX but I'm happy now and have a couple of fav aircraft I fly in XP11, the Airfoilabs King Air, FlyJSim B727, Carenado B58 with REP and the Zibo Mod B737, all of them of PMDG or A2A quality
These users liked the author Christo for the post (total 2):
Cornell BlokA51_PieFly
Due to the price increase in ammunition, do not expect a warning shot.

Sig Sauer, kinda like Glock except for men.
Fishy
Paying Landing Fees
Closest Airfield: FAMB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Fishy » Thu May 30, 2019 7:46 am

Good morning

Yes I still definitely use FS9. I also use XP11 (XP10 before that) and split my time between the two sims about 60/40 (FS9/XP11).

I also have a few sceneries, repaints and AI packages that I have released over the years. I am sure you have seen my thread at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=101683

I am definitely interested in forming part of such a community. Even if it is just the two of us we can definitely discuss more detail around what you have in mind.

I have not been able to design for FS9 for the last year due to additional studies over and above my full time job, but am hoping that when it is finished (November this year) I will get back to it again and even start releasing some of it for XP11.

Kind regards
Kobus
These users liked the author Fishy for the post:
A51_PieFly
chaos505
Finals (unmanned) for a Full Stop
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by chaos505 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Yip still use FS9, but slowly moving to FSX
Also have XP11 and a number of others thats not installed :lol:
"Engines are the hearts of planes, but pilots are their souls"
zswobbie1
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: FAYP

Unread post by zswobbie1 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm also an avid FS9'er.
For many reasons, such as:
1. Hardware requirements: FS9 works on most PC's, without tweaking.
2. Financial requirements: I'm using an i5 4GB laptop (Windows 10) .. perfect!
3. Freeware software: a huge amount, thanks to Shessi, Milton & many others that have supported us , & still do, over 15 years.
4. Multiple installs: I have 7 unique FS9 installs, such as Alaska, Vintage, Heritage, Ford Tri-Motor Project (the late Garry Smith's scenery textures), Space, (yes, a unique install for Space scenery (Carl Reddin's scenery), History & a Transload install. As well as an install for the VA I belong to, Cape Virtual, so that we all have the same planes & scenery.
>>> Why so many? because FS9 can, without any scenery conflicts & it saves on loading times.& I've customised the GUI's of all.
5. Immersion Factor: We have built an Impala sim, a Shack sim & are busy with a Harvard sim, using FS9, Aeroworx scenery & basic PC's.
No issues at all. Real pilots 'bump' in their seats, anticipating touchdown.
6. 32bit, works for us. As long as we have a decent flight model.
7. No need to keep on looking for the Holy Grail of sims, & chasing for the latest.
8. Unique aircraft, not available for any other sims.
9. For me, I prefer the older 'low's 'n slow's, props & floats, not tube liners.

So, yes, it would be great to be part of a FS9 community.
My personal opinion is that it should be FS9, as obviously there are more FSX, etc simmers out there, & us FS9'ers could be left in the dust!

Regards,
Robin
(Cape Town)
These users liked the author zswobbie1 for the post:
A51_PieFly
To the stars..... and beyond!
A51_PieFly
Wanna Fly

Unread post by A51_PieFly » Thu May 30, 2019 8:42 pm

well its good to see that there is still some guys out there still using FS9, and zswobbie your reasoning is spot on..and thats exactly what i feel...maybe i will eventually move over to xp11 or fsx...but for know fs9 is still my go to sim...i am going to create a discord and send a DM of the link for the guys interested, if anyone else is interested just give me a shout.
ou toppie
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: LEAX Aeropuerto de la Axa

Unread post by ou toppie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Good Day All remaining fs9 users. Hope I am not hijacking the thread.
I am just in the process of reinstalling fs9( have been concentrating on fsx for a while now) on my spare desktop, and have come up with a couple of problems:
I decided to try the NMG Southern Africa Terrain Mesh 2004 and find that the Madagascar and Sao Tome bgls on disc 2 will not load. All the rest on disc1 and disc2 are ok. Does any one out there have a copy of the bgls that they could attach to an email for me please?
I have also found that, when programming the buttons, the snap to panel view does not stay on the screen when releasing the key as it does in fsx. Am I doing something wrong here in the programming? It has been a long time since I last used it. Thanks to A51_PieFly for reminding me that fs9 is still enjoyable to fly and in particular a lot less finicky!!! to keep flying.
OT
ou toppie
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: LEAX Aeropuerto de la Axa

Unread post by ou toppie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:35 pm

A51_PieFly wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:42 pm
well its good to see that there is still some guys out there still using FS9, and zswobbie your reasoning is spot on..and thats exactly what i feel...maybe i will eventually move over to xp11 or fsx...but for know fs9 is still my go to sim...i am going to create a discord and send a DM of the link for the guys interested, if anyone else is interested just give me a shout.
I am interested but please explain to an old toppie what is a discord?? and a DM of the link??
Thanks
OT
zswobbie1
Power on stall

Unread post by zswobbie1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 am

OT,
It could be a problem asking for files from NMG, as they could be copyrighted.
Why not use another mesh, for example the freeware mesh from Aeroworx.. from Avsim.com
They have done an amazing range of South African scenery etc, all free.

Also, try the mesh from https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4679 ... ouncement/

Although it says that its for FSX, it works perfectly for FS2004, & is free as well.

Regards,
Robin
Cape Town
zswobbie1
Power on stall

Unread post by zswobbie1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 am

Here's the Aeroworx listing:
https://library.avsim.net/search.php?Ca ... hange+View

or just look for Aeroworx in the FS2004 Scenery search
skydancer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Rustenburg

Unread post by skydancer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Unfortunately I dont fly FS2004 anymore. Use to support both FS2004 and FSX for a long time. Until I decided that it was time to make a move, as I felt I was missing out from what Xplane was delivering. Although I must admit that FS9 and FSX have kept my spirit and enthusiasm high in the older days. But Now I feel it has kick started again since I started using XP11. So many great freeware top quality addons available already, and not to mention the aerodynamics within the sim. Great product.
These users liked the author skydancer for the post:
A51_PieFly
A51_PieFly
Wanna Fly

Unread post by A51_PieFly » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:37 pm

I will be making a whatsapp group aswell, those of you who are interested message me please so i can add you, or alernatively you can click on the following link.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/G63QM1Hq44gFOHpE9J1O5M

this can be done via desktop or phone that has whatsapp.

Return to “Virtual Aviation”