Malibu Mirage

Piper Aircfaft including the Rag and Tube Club. Discuss technical matters, parts and accessories, social gatherings, restoration tips and advice.

Moderator: Moderators

87Juliet
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 36 times

Malibu Mirage

Unread post by 87Juliet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi,
I have this obsessive thing with the Malibu Mirage. Chatted to JN at FASH a while back (he maintains one ZS-ONN i think), he mentioned they're a nightmare to work on and therefore expensive to maintain. Is the flying experience worth the expense? R8m for a new Mirage is hectic, but nice 2 to 3 yr old could be had for around US$600k to US$700k.

Anyone here have experience with owning or flying one?
J
Jacques Taljard: Zero-Ate-Two Niner-4-Wun Seven-Zero-Sex-Too
Audi Centre N1 City - MrAudi has returned from the dark side!
DC872
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Malibu Mirage

Unread post by DC872 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Yeah, they are a nightmare to work on. Lots of crankshaft problems, under warranty but heavy on the downtime. Not much headroom inside, go fast, very nice to fly, easy to land.
flyboy2

Unread post by flyboy2 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:23 am

I agree!
All models have been flown by me without undue problems.
Very fuel efficient when 55% power is used.
Have flown original model from FAGM to FAPE; the Mirage from FACT to FAGM,
-all at FL250 just to see how it handles up there.
They're fine but then spare oxygen is be good to have.
Good descent planning is essential to avoid shock-cooling the cylinders or stressing the crankshaft.
Fortunately I didn't need to be involved in the actual maintenance.
flyboy2

Unread post by flyboy2 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Besides Piper's 500 shp PT6 equipped Meridian, there's also the PA-46 based "Jetprop DLX.
This has a PT6-35 with 560shp & is very powerful. It contains dual everything but still has 1 motor.
During a post-maintenance test-flight, it got us from 5500 ft ( at FAGM ) up to FL175 in the required 5 minutes climb-test required.
The climb might've been better had it not been for climb-restrictions from ATC, where I only got 2000' climb increments at a time.
What needs very careful management is not to exceed VNE of 212 kt in climb, cruise & especially during the descent !
The POH claims 260kt at FL270! A very interesting aircraft. A couple are now in SA.
bahati
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FAOH
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by bahati » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:10 pm

87Juliet

I owned and flew ZS-NTH, a 1990 Malibu Mirage for around 500+ hours all over the place. I sold it about 10 years ago. It was a pleasure to own and fly, however - fairly expensive maintenance and all too regular bulletins. That may have changed by now. It does not handle ice very well, although it is certified for known icing. Hangarage is another issue with the larger than average wing span. My biggest issue was just not enough power and a very hot & hard working Lycoming motor up front. Also, it is not a great dirt strip aircraft with a relatively small front wheel. It also takes a while getting way up in the flight levels if you are heavy. I mostly flew at FL180-FL190. That is unfortunately not a great level to fly at when the weather gets nasty as you are right in the stuff. If you have $600k-$700k to spend on a Malibu, get the JetProp. No question! I flew one in Kansas and got 255Kts at FL170. That is an aircraft I really like. Lots of power, flies high, climbs like crazy, fast and very economical. And it burns Jet, which is always available everywhere. NTH went back to the USA and was converted into a JetProp N640BD (I think!) And obviously, unless you have an IF rating, you are wasting your time with any of the Malibu's!
Johan

There are 3 types of people in life ... those who helped you in difficult times, those who left you in difficult times and those that put you in difficult times.
flyboy2

Unread post by flyboy2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:52 pm

I recently checked out the owner of a new Mirage fitted with Garmin G1000.
It flew very well and once one had sorted out the various "pages" on the G1000, all was easy.
He stated that he wasn't prepared to fork out the extra money for the Meridian !
vdWestd
Engine Started

Unread post by vdWestd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:37 pm

I recently started flying a Piper Malibu Matrix which is the same as the Mirage just not pressurized and I would say it is definetly worth the money!!! Flies very good and is very fast!

Return to “Piper”