Piper DLX Jetprop

Piper Aircfaft including the Rag and Tube Club. Discuss technical matters, parts and accessories, social gatherings, restoration tips and advice.

Moderator: Moderators

MilesvdM
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Piper DLX Jetprop

Unread post by MilesvdM » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 am

ZS-SWX (Ex ZS-TWZ) with its new reg and at its new home
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
87Juliet
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by 87Juliet » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 am

MilesvdM wrote:ZS-SWX (Ex ZS-TWZ) with its new reg and at its new home
Congrats Miles! Come and show off at FASH sometime!
Jacques Taljard: Zero-Ate-Two Niner-4-Wun Seven-Zero-Sex-Too
Audi Centre N1 City - MrAudi has returned from the dark side!
MilesvdM
Incipient Spin

Unread post by MilesvdM » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

Hi All

I have flown the Jetprop a couple of times now and beginning to get the feel of it. Did my training with the RRR last Saturday and I have flown 4 legs at altitude since then.

First the niggles:

The nose wheel steering is more sensitive than I am used to. On the ground steering forces are quite high and at pre-rotation speeds it’s easy to develop a bit of an oscillation. A substantial amount of rudder input is required on the take-off roll and with the small pedals real care must be taken that you are nowhere near the brakes (more of a trick than it sounds). After rotation once nose wheel steering is lost even more input is required to keep the ball centred but as the aircraft accelerates the control forces normalise. The rudder trim is the ‘spring on the pedal’ type rather than a tab and really isn’t much help until you get going.

With your feet positioned nowhere near the brakes for take-off and so much rudder input required I haven’t worked out how to elegantly touch the brakes before retracting the undercarriage. If you take your foot off the rudder at this point in the proceedings the amount of yaw is quite disconcerting so for now I just retract the wheels with the tyres turning.

The aeroplane doesn’t feel happy at low indicated speeds. Although the book says rotate at 80 with a Vx of 90 knots I would say you should leave it on the ground till 90 and get above 100 as soon as you can. The aircraft accelerates quickly so it only takes a few seconds. Equally on the approach you don’t want to be below 100 knots until you cross the fence, even with full flap landings.

At high altitude cabin heating is stretched. With the sun coming in through the windows its comfortable but after sunset it gets cool.

And now for everything else:

The aircraft is quiet and comfortable with almost no vibration. General handling qualities in the air are good. Stalls are average with a slight wing drop. Controls are balanced and forces required for manoeuvring are surprisingly light. The STC is executed superbly and you don’t feel like you are flying 2 different idea’s in one package but rather a well thought out aeroplane. Fuel flows are as advertised and at FL270 240 knots will cost you about 28 gallons per hour. You can go a little faster if you choose but fuel and overhaul costs go up.

System redundancies are surprisingly good. Some of the systems require some time to understand but a good level of automation make the day to day use really easy. The annunciator system is good and gives you the info you need. The pressurisation system is comfortable and doesn’t spike.

Gear and first flap speeds are high (169 kts. This is helpful into airports where you need to keep your speed up on finals. You can fly down the slope at 170 knots and start slowing down at 2nm. This means the aircraft can be sequenced with jet traffic without difficulty.

The avionics and integration between the autopilot and the other systems is brilliant. If you are a lazy pilot like me the aeroplane will fly itself home, fly and arrival and an approach and all you have to do is land it. Wx radar is an option and commonly fitted. Most are equipped for known ice.

Overall I find it to be a very impressive aeroplane. If you are looking for reliable transport that’s fast enough to compete with the airlines on regional sectors then it’s a real option. I flew CPT-JHB in 2:45 in zero wind, and even with another hour for before and after flight routines it still is around the same total trip time as Commercial. However you get to leave when you like, miss the joy of airport security and can take the border collie along. You get all weather capability and turbine reliability for less money than anything else I could find without going 2 decades older. Its not an aeroplane for everyone, but if those are your requirements there aren’t too many options out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
87Juliet
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by 87Juliet » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 am

Overall I find it to be a very impressive aeroplane. If you are looking for reliable transport that’s fast enough to compete with the airlines on regional sectors then it’s a real option. I flew CPT-JHB in 2:45 in zero wind, and even with another hour for before and after flight routines it still is around the same total trip time as Commercial. However you get to leave when you like, miss the joy of airport security and can take the border collie along. You get all weather capability and turbine reliability for less money than anything else I could find without going 2 decades older. Its not an aeroplane for everyone, but if those are your requirements there aren’t too many options out there.
And that's exactly why I want one too....
MilesvdM
Incipient Spin

Unread post by MilesvdM » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks 87

Any excuse to head to your part of the world. Will be heading that way towards to end of the year, will let you know when I'm inbound.
87Juliet
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by 87Juliet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

MilesvdM wrote:Thanks 87

Any excuse to head to your part of the world. Will be heading that way towards to end of the year, will let you know when I'm inbound.
Hey Miles, tick tock tick tock tick tock.... *grin*

Looking forward to seeing your beauty!
MilesvdM
Incipient Spin

Unread post by MilesvdM » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:46 pm

It's not fair, they have been making me work! I mean really, how unreasonable!

I will be in your neck of the woods from the 24th to the 26th. You around?
Skinny
Take off Clearance
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Skinny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi Miles,

I find your experience of the take-off interesting. I have done about 20hrs now on my 6XT (not in the same league, I know) and my initial experience was very similar, how do I keep my feet off the brakes, huge right thigh required and slightly higher speeds than the book. I am used to it now and don't notice it as much. Landing, I find I use about 5kn less than the book, though. Overall, I find it very stable and a real pleasure to fly, a bit like driving a Range Rover after a series 1 or 2 Land Rover!
Piper Cherokee 235 PA28 - 235 ZS-DXM
Cheetah XLS ZU-FBZ
Piper PA32 - 301XTC 6XTurbo N330MA now C-GFMM
RV 9A C-FUHD
Murphy Elite Amphib C-GPGM
MilesvdM
Incipient Spin

Unread post by MilesvdM » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Obviously I did have a pretty stiff tailwind but still a nice speed to see.
Lindsay Powell
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: Prince Said Ibrahim Inter
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Lindsay Powell » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Pretty little machine. I know she will treat you well.
PPL, A&P, AP, AME category A & C

Return to “Piper”