Motorav engine

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:09 pm
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Location: Preferably under a swashplate
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Motorav engine

Unread post by Pete » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm

I see there is an interesting engine in the 100hp bracket that was exhibited at Sun n Fun
Based on the VeeDub layout. The company doing it seems to be fairly substantial. =D>
http://www.motorav.com/
User avatar
Flooi
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 am
Closest Airfield: FAHG
Location: Nigel
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Motorav engine

Unread post by Flooi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:39 pm

It's going to take a lot to dethrone the well known leaders of the pack....
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3041
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm
Closest Airfield: FASX
Location: Barrydale Western Cape
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Motorav engine

Unread post by Jean Crous » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Flooi wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:39 pm
It's going to take a lot to dethrone the well known leaders of the pack....
Very true Flooi. Revmaster is probably the oldest, been around since 1960 ties .
Jean
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5259
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Motorav engine

Unread post by heisan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Been around for a long time. Will be interesting to see if they actually do get a product to market.

The big advantage of this one is that they did not try to maintain VW compatibility. Everything is redesigned for aviation use. Nice big #4 bearing cast in. Single piece crank. Bottom exhaust and intake ports. Basically addressed many of the weaknesses of the VW as an aero engine.

Could be interesting in seeing it head to head with the new Revmaster R3000 (also completely redesigned).
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
okflyer
Airspeed active
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:10 pm
Closest Airfield: EDFZ
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Motorav engine

Unread post by okflyer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 pm

heisan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 pm
Been around for a long time. Will be interesting to see if they actually do get a product to market.

The big advantage of this one is that they did not try to maintain VW compatibility. Everything is redesigned for aviation use. Nice big #4 bearing cast in. Single piece crank. Bottom exhaust and intake ports. Basically addressed many of the weaknesses of the VW as an aero engine.

Could be interesting in seeing it head to head with the new Revmaster R3000 (also completely redesigned).
If you read the background (VW) it sound impressive. But when you look at the specs in terms of TBO, requirement of 100 octane fuel and consumption ( 22-30 Liter /Hour at 100 horses), King Rotax does not need to be concerned at all. Looks like the hired Lycoming consultant was too much looking north instead of the places that really fly LSA and where avgas is hard to get or expensive like hell.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything.
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5259
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Motorav engine

Unread post by heisan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 am

okflyer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 pm
heisan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 pm
Been around for a long time. Will be interesting to see if they actually do get a product to market.

The big advantage of this one is that they did not try to maintain VW compatibility. Everything is redesigned for aviation use. Nice big #4 bearing cast in. Single piece crank. Bottom exhaust and intake ports. Basically addressed many of the weaknesses of the VW as an aero engine.

Could be interesting in seeing it head to head with the new Revmaster R3000 (also completely redesigned).
If you read the background (VW) it sound impressive. But when you look at the specs in terms of TBO, requirement of 100 octane fuel and consumption ( 22-30 Liter /Hour at 100 horses), King Rotax does not need to be concerned at all. Looks like the hired Lycoming consultant was too much looking north instead of the places that really fly LSA and where avgas is hard to get or expensive like hell.
Yeah. AVGAS could be an issue. Should be possible to release a low compression version, which would produce around 95hp on 93 octane fuel.

TBO is always low on first release (see Rotax 915 which also has 1200hour TBO), and will likely increase as fleet hours are built up. Fuel consumption pretty much identical to 100hp Rotax.

Could be a very good option, at the right price.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Jean Crous
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3041
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm
Closest Airfield: FASX
Location: Barrydale Western Cape
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Motorav engine

Unread post by Jean Crous » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm

The right price.... :wink: :wink: Revmaster has their R2300 turbo engine at $500 less and at 105hp, even at high above sea level, and is rated to run on both Mogas and Avgas, or a mixture of the two.
The Revmaster even weighs less with all it`s accessories , the Motorav still needs an oil cooler, exhaust ,and intake filter plus alternate air source with filter. Add that to the engine`s weight,......and see where the weight is at then.
Not knocking it, just saying...... :mrgreen:
Jean
Cubby Aircraft Factory
New front seat solo Cubby MK2
Powered by a Rotax 912 engine
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”