Piper colt Generator to alternator help

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

hencohco@icloud.com
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Piper colt Generator to alternator help

Unread post by hencohco@icloud.com » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 am

Hi guys.

I bought a bobcat altinator to replace the generator. Didnt have time to replace it for about a month then a week ago i had a mag drop. So i desided to replace the spark plugs and while i am there open the cowelings and do the altenator.

After a struggle its in. I want to know if i have wired it correctly.

The alti has three conection.

Battery
Light
Ignition

In connected the battery to the old thick geni wire. Removed then wires from the regulator and joined the two thick wires together that goes intothe cockpit.

Then connected the ignition and light wire to the back of the ignition fuse where the power comes from the mains.

And connected the the light wire back onto the alti

I switched the mains on and main light shined and the alti light shined dim

Now all the cowlings are off and the prop is also off. I just connected the flywheel.

I primed and tried to start. But it would not start. The starter solinoid kicks in but it sound like there isnt enough power in the battery. I then got my booster pack out and tried again. Solinoid kicks in turns 1/4 and stops then i cab hear the stater trying to turn but not enough power? Thats not the case there is enough power.

After 2 failed atempts i disconnected all the wires to the altinator. Tried to start and same thing.

Would a engine start without a prop or does it need the inertia from the prop to overcome the compresion?

After 2 more tries i loosened starter the bolts that connect the alti to the starter thinking the alti is bending the starter (Which is highly unlikely) And then when i went back to start. Tried it one more time. Same thing.

Then the last blow is the main fuses blew.

Could anyone help. Is what i did correct? Can an engine start without a prop. And what could blow the fuses?
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Piper colt Generator to alternator help

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am

....I must be dumbest ass when it comes to electrics so I could not say if the wiring is done properly, what I know is that a prop must be fixed when running an engine - hope you get some feedback otherwise contact TOFFS her on the forum, he is a nice and knowledgeable guy!
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:09 am

...is it a non certified Colt - NTCA
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by heisan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 am

Depending on the engine model, you could actually do significant damage starting it without a prop...

Since you will need an AP to sign out the work anyway, pop around to Kevin at Skyworx, and get the job done properly by someone who knows whaat they are doing.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”