Painting tips ... ?

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

CharlesDavis
Rolling

Painting tips ... ?

Unread post by CharlesDavis » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 pm

I need to prime and paint my control-surfaces prior to balance. Construction is Foam and fiberglass - (Spar, ribs & skin ... not a block of hot-wired foam, if that makes any difference ). At this stage, the surfaces have been 'microed and sanded to contour, then skim-coated with plain resin/hardner, and re-sanded to 800 grit

First question - I don't have much experience with spraying, although I have spray-painted a couple of farm tractors over the years - Is there success to be had when using a roller ?

I have seen somewhere a comment by someone who suggested thickening 2K MS Primer with micro-baloons - is there any merit in this ?

After priming, i plan to do one coat of white and one or two coats of clear 2K - is this overkill ? - the plans do not say anything other than to paint before balancing !

If there is an on-line resource for all this, please point me to it ... Ta
Real men build their own aeroplanes. ;-)
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Rand

Re: Painting tips ... ?

Unread post by Theuns v V » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:34 pm

I use MS primer om my composite models and use it as is, I rather put on 2 or so coats and sand then try to do all the filling in one go.
As for a roller, cant comment on that.
2K white on its own will be fine, no need for clearcoat over it.

Theuns
crunchie
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: Fly Inn

Unread post by crunchie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 pm

CharlesDavis wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 pm
I need to prime and paint my control-surfaces prior to balance. Construction is Foam and fiberglass - (Spar, ribs & skin ... not a block of hot-wired foam, if that makes any difference ). At this stage, the surfaces have been 'microed and sanded to contour, then skim-coated with plain resin/hardner, and re-sanded to 800 grit

First question - I don't have much experience with spraying, although I have spray-painted a couple of farm tractors over the years - Is there success to be had when using a roller ?

I have seen somewhere a comment by someone who suggested thickening 2K MS Primer with micro-baloons - is there any merit in this ?

After priming, i plan to do one coat of white and one or two coats of clear 2K - is this overkill ? - the plans do not say anything other than to paint before balancing !

If there is an on-line resource for all this, please point me to it ... Ta
You can happily get away with a 400 grit finish before adding primer. 600 - 800 grit preparation is good for final paint.

MS Primer can be painted with a brush, roller (A foam roller would be recommended) or with a spray gun. Spraying with a gun is first choice. Primer is relatively easy and forgiving to spray. 2k paint takes lots of practice to get a good finish from the gun.
The only downside to painting primer with a brush/roller is that it will increase the amount of sanding required.

I wouldn't bother adding micro to the MS primer, as it is already filled with fillers.

When it comes to final paint, try paint without the use of clearcoat. Stick to a 2k finishing coat. You do not need to paint clearcoat over that. Paint adds weight quickly.
Gregory Clegg
CharlesDavis
Rolling

Unread post by CharlesDavis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks Theuns & Crunchie ... that seems the way to go.
Real men build their own aeroplanes. ;-)

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”