Dents/nicks on Composite prop

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 42 times

Dents/nicks on Composite prop

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 am

How significant are these?
I was trained on an aircraft with conventional metal props and any dents had to be filed out/repaired. My current aircraft has an air master composite prop with 2 dents about 15mm from the tip on one of the blades. The dents are about 1-1.5mm deep - I’m told that these are not important at all but wanted to assess the opinion of the hive-mind..

Thoughts?
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: Dents/nicks on Composite prop

Unread post by heisan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:03 am

Mrb13676 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 am
How significant are these?
I was trained on an aircraft with conventional metal props and any dents had to be filed out/repaired. My current aircraft has an air master composite prop with 2 dents about 15mm from the tip on one of the blades. The dents are about 1-1.5mm deep - I’m told that these are not important at all but wanted to assess the opinion of the hive-mind..

Thoughts?
Contact AirMaster and find out. They will have specific limits for specific areas of the blade.

That said, 1.5mm is barely through the skin, and unlikely to directly affect the strength of the prop. It could however expose the core material to atmosphere, which may be a problem for some core materials. Always best to seal such chips immediately with a good epoxy.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Flooi
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAHG
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Dents/nicks on Composite prop

Unread post by Flooi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:51 am

Fix it. Even a microgram uneven balance will, in time, cost you more than just a vibration.. [-X

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”