What can I fix on my NTCA

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Mrb13676
Helicopter getting close
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Zone outbound
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times

What can I fix on my NTCA

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi
I have a Sling - I’m confused as to what maintenance I can actually do on the aircraft.
For example - I’m having an issue with the autopilot and have been advised that the bolt attaching the elevator servo to the pushrod may be loose. Assessing this requires removing the back seat and inspecting the connection.

Am I, as the owner allowed to do this? Can I fix it if it is loose? Or can I only discover that is is or isn’t loose and then take it to an AMO?
I know for TCA there is very little owner maintenance that can be performed....
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5324
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: What can I fix on my NTCA

Unread post by heisan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Mrb13676 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm
Hi
I have a Sling - I’m confused as to what maintenance I can actually do on the aircraft.
For example - I’m having an issue with the autopilot and have been advised that the bolt attaching the elevator servo to the pushrod may be loose. Assessing this requires removing the back seat and inspecting the connection.

Am I, as the owner allowed to do this? Can I fix it if it is loose? Or can I only discover that is is or isn’t loose and then take it to an AMO?
I know for TCA there is very little owner maintenance that can be performed....
Actually, with TCA the owner can do a lot of maintenance. With NTCA the owner can do nothing without an AP signing it out.

I don't know what it involves to remove and replace the seat back on a Sling - but it is unlikely to be considered to be maintenance of any sort. So having a look should be OK - but you should get an AP to inspect any repairs you make.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
Mrb13676
Helicopter getting close
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Zone outbound
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: What can I fix on my NTCA

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Lekker. Thanks @heisan
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo
grounded
Preflighting
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:48 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What can I fix on my NTCA

Unread post by grounded » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Does your Sling have an Amatuer built or Production built ATF ?

If Production build.........dont touch !!, let the factory fix, or your ATF will be downgraded to Amateur Built
User avatar
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5324
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: What can I fix on my NTCA

Unread post by heisan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:03 pm

grounded wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:32 pm
Does your Sling have an Amatuer built or Production built ATF ?

If Production build.........dont touch !!, let the factory fix, or your ATF will be downgraded to Amateur Built
Where do you get that? The regulations make no distinctions about maintenance on production built aircraft.

There are two possible issues though:
1) modifications - any modification which is not covered by the type approval will invalidate the production built category.
2) aircraft operated under Part 96 must be maintained by approved maintainers as per the Part 96 approval.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
User avatar
stefan
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:15 am
Closest Airfield: FARA
Location: Petit (FARA)
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: What can I fix on my NTCA

Unread post by stefan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 pm

See attached. CATS


CARS
44.01.4 (1) No person may carry out maintenance on an amateur built aircraft or a production-built non-type certificated aircraft, or any component thereof, unless such person—
(a) is appropriately rated or approved on type by the Director or the organisation designated for the purpose in terms of part 149, as the case may be, to carry out maintenance; or
(b)carries out the maintenance under the prescribed supervision of a person authorised by the Director or by the organisation referred to in paragraph (a). A dual check of the maintenance carried out must be performed by a person referred to in subparagraph (a); or
(c)is the owner of the aircraft provided that an appropriately rated approved AMO, AME or Approved Person, rated in accordance with subpart 4 of part 66, performs a dual check on the maintenance which was carried out; or
(d)is an appropriately rated approved AMO, AME or approved person, rated in accordance with subpart 4 of part 66.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Mrb13676
Helicopter getting close
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Zone outbound
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: What can I fix on my NTCA

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 pm

stefan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 pm
See attached. CATS


CARS
44.01.4 (1) No person may carry out maintenance on an amateur built aircraft or a production-built non-type certificated aircraft, or any component thereof, unless such person—
(a) is appropriately rated or approved on type by the Director or the organisation designated for the purpose in terms of part 149, as the case may be, to carry out maintenance; or
(b)carries out the maintenance under the prescribed supervision of a person authorised by the Director or by the organisation referred to in paragraph (a). A dual check of the maintenance carried out must be performed by a person referred to in subparagraph (a); or
(c)is the owner of the aircraft provided that an appropriately rated approved AMO, AME or Approved Person, rated in accordance with subpart 4 of part 66, performs a dual check on the maintenance which was carried out; or
(d)is an appropriately rated approved AMO, AME or approved person, rated in accordance with subpart 4 of part 66.
Thanks.
I think that quite comprehensively puts the issue to bed.
Much obliged.
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”