ADS-B Tail light!

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 39 times

ADS-B Tail light!

Unread post by Pete » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 pm

The modern tech is just amazing. 8)
Here is an ADS-B transmitter that can be fitted to replace the tail light in less than 10 minutes!
They are busy with the TSO
https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeacon/

Edit: Mmm see it only works in the US at the moment (UAT 978MHz)
These users liked the author Pete for the post:
steverowe
Sundownerman
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Lanseri
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: ADS-B Tail light!

Unread post by Sundownerman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi Pete,

Very interesting tech solution - HOWEVER .....

Guys - Don’t Just go online and buy one 👎
I sent this link on to Clinton at Aeronautical for his comment

Be Aware, Boys and Girls - this unit will only work within US Airspace - it operates on the 970 MHz frequency within the terrestrial systems there

Which we don’t have here

Keep your credit card in your wallet - for now 😳
ZS-FZE - Mooney M20
"The White Man measures time - the Indian enjoys it" from an old American Indian saying. As an Aviator it's worth considering isn't it ? Enjoy every flying minute, and enjoy every minute flying with your fellow aviators too!
wingmanC210
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by wingmanC210 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:30 am

This Portable ADS-B In and OUT costs GBP450 and works on 1090MHZ. As I understand, Most ADS-B receivers (receiving only i.e. IN only) receive on both 1090MHZ and 978MHS.
SkyEcho 2 is a portable ADS-B receive and transmit solution. With 20W transmit power, your 1090MHz ADS-B signal can be received up to 40NM away. Transmit functionality can be enabled or disabled depending on your flight location. The ADS-B receiver capability includes both 1090MHz and 978MHz UAT. Portable ADS-B transmit capability is currently only approved for use in the United Kingdom under CAP1391.
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 146 times

Unread post by heisan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:36 am

wingmanC210 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:30 am
This Portable ADS-B In and OUT costs GBP450 and works on 1090MHZ. As I understand, Most ADS-B receivers (receiving only i.e. IN only) receive on both 1090MHZ and 978MHS.
SkyEcho 2 is a portable ADS-B receive and transmit solution. With 20W transmit power, your 1090MHz ADS-B signal can be received up to 40NM away. Transmit functionality can be enabled or disabled depending on your flight location. The ADS-B receiver capability includes both 1090MHz and 978MHz UAT. Portable ADS-B transmit capability is currently only approved for use in the United Kingdom under CAP1391.
That is a 1090-EC device, so not compatible with the minimum standard that would be required under the ATNS proposal. Be very careful when importing devices to make sure that they are compatible with local regulations...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Mrb13676
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 am

TO echo what has been said above... ATNS hasn’t even published a standard yet. There are devices which MAY be compliant depending on what standard they settle on. I for one wish they’d get on with it because I think the advantages in terms of traffic identification aNd situational awareness that ADS-B out provides are obvious.

It seems likely we’ll use a space based system so most likely a 1090–ES system will work but we aren’t sure which SIL will be required. Whether we will need diversity or not is as yet unclear from what I’ve seen.

I’d sit tight for the moment. There are lots of options and the uAvionix looks like a good one. They also have a wingtip light replacement unit for those aircraft without tail lights...
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Guys, our very own local brand MGL avionics will have available soon a ADSB transponder same panel size as their V16 radio and I believe the price is very affordable.

Last I spoke to Renier a few weeks ago it was going into production shortly.

Now you could afford a tail light and transponder :D
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong