1/2" 82 degree countersink?

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 323 times

1/2" 82 degree countersink?

Unread post by heisan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 am

Now why, oh why do the Americans have to use different standards from everybody else?

To perform an SB, I need a 1/2" 82 degree countersink. Is there any place in SA that I can buy one? Preferably a 'hardware store' countersink (carbon steel) - I don't necessarily want to invest $$$ in a tool to countersink 8 holes in aluminium.

Also looking for a 1/16" NPT tap (carbon steel), if anybody has seen one of those around?

Thanks,
Justin
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 1/2" 82 degree countersink?

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:53 am

Try any of the following:

The Tool Shop - 011 792 4185 Ask for George

For taps try:
Goliath 011 792 5659
FEW 011 886 5200 www.few.co.za
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks, started there and called everybody they referred me to. No luck yet :( . One guy even laughed and said 'Good luck!'. Seems imperial is not popular in SA!

I did find www.somta.co.za - they actually manufacture imperial size countersinks, but export all stock to the US. None available locally, and next batch only being produced next year.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:26 pm

possibly ask Placo to bring in for you from Aircraft spruce?
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by flysouth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:50 am

A well equipped machine shop may have such an item - especially if they have been in business for many years and have collected much kit over the years.

I have used Quintro Machining in Lazer Park, Honeydew - Google it for the tel number and speak to Willem, who has stuff made before the Wright Bros flew!

To buy such an item if you can find it will probably cost hundreds of rands and for a once-off use hardly worth it.

BTW the Yanks do not do things differently from everyone else - especially in aviation terms - it is we who moved away from the accepted imperial standard.
cvh
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FASY

Unread post by cvh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 am

You join your local EAA Chapter and ask the person who possesses this if you can borrow the tool ...

that usually works.

best of luck
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:04 am

Nut Behind The Wheel wrote:possibly ask Placo to bring in for you from Aircraft spruce?
Thanks - I see ACS has them listed for USD 3.60... I am probably going to a meeting in Boston early in Jan, so I will pick one up then.
flysouth wrote:A well equipped machine shop may have such an item - especially if they have been in business for many years and have collected much kit over the years.

I have used Quintro Machining in Lazer Park, Honeydew - Google it for the tel number and speak to Willem, who has stuff made before the Wright Bros flew!

To buy such an item if you can find it will probably cost hundreds of rands and for a once-off use hardly worth it.

BTW the Yanks do not do things differently from everyone else - especially in aviation terms - it is we who moved away from the accepted imperial standard.
Thanks. I have tried a number of engineering firms, but no luck so far. May still give Quinro a call if I get a chance to head Jhb side before I leave.

And yes, the imperial system was the original one, but it is still a pain in the *rse, and it is still fun bashing the yanks :twisted: .
cvh wrote:You join your local EAA Chapter and ask the person who possesses this if you can borrow the tool ...

that usually works.

best of luck
Yeah. Last chapter meeting for the year was in November, unfortunately... Most of the members who are likely to be able to help hang out on Avcom though.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
danieP
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Been liked: 0

Unread post by danieP » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:02 pm

hi , any engineering firm can that has a drill grinding tool can grind any angel , if you give them a 60deg coutersink thy will grind it to a 82 deg.
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Heisan, did you come right here? I may have a solution for you!
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Nut Behind The Wheel wrote:Heisan, did you come right here? I may have a solution for you!
A friend is comming back from the US on Friday. He picked one up for me in the local hardware store, for a grand sum of $3.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”