Most cost effective homebuild?

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 337 times

Re: Most cost effective homebuild?

Unread post by heisan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:39 am

Nut Behind The Wheel wrote:I have done a search on "Liberator" but didnt find anything unfortunately. I know that the Zenith 601 had some issues with the wing and/or failures thereof. Apparently they have changed the design somewhat to resolve this. Does anyone know if the Raven has this same issue?
Dang. must have been a classifieds thread (they get removed after 90 days 0 activity)... You can contact Carl Babst directly for more details on plan and kit availability: 0 eight three 285 2525

And the 601HD has had no problems. It is only the 601XLS that had wing problems (and those have apparently been solved).
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: EGSU
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by heinrich » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 am

So if someone manages to find the plans that were for free, can they please post it here or mail it via PM? Would be nice seeing it has 2 seats. Any sites I can go read up on the design/build that anyone knows of?

Thanks
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:30 am

I think I am correct in saying that this is a version of the Raven in question? Have a look on the Microlighters forum here: http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=10232
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 am

Yep.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
hangerchaser
Been liked: 0

Unread post by hangerchaser » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:04 pm

What about a tripacer project? Lots of parts around,univair support parts and a great little bird
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by Theuns v V » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:32 pm

hangerchaser wrote:What about a tripacer project? Lots of parts around,univair support parts and a great little bird
Jislaaik ou, 4 mande geregistreer en net 1 post ! :shock: :lol:
I have to agree with the idea of a PA-22 for a rebuild project.Sure it may not be the best looking little aerie, but they can carry a load (just ask hangerchacer :wink: ) and to maintain them is not to bad. Usually the fabric or the timex engine is the issue.
Hangerchacer has LOTS of spares. I would not mind to build a PA-20/22 as a family plane, but allas the $................ :oops:

Theuns
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:05 am

Here is an interesting option http://www.beliteaircraft.com/ I dont know if anybody in SA has gone this route as yet as there are many options here and it looks cost effective. From my lack of experience perspective, the biggest problem with tube constructed fuzz' is the welding cert in SA, where as in the uS it seems anyone can happily weld away!
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by Theuns v V » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:33 am

What you could do it to tack the tubes together and get a coded welder to do the full welds ,this will save his expensive time and your $

T
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 am

Silly question though. There were/are rumours about the SA CAA 'shifting' to the US' FAA system? Not sure if that is still going to happen when Oom Colin's not there anymore.

Will that have an impact on this? Not that I'm a good enough welder mind you. But at least it'll "open" up that range of aircraft to the homebuilder and maybe make it slightly cheaper to build/maintain?
Nut Behind The Wheel
ATC Delay

Unread post by Nut Behind The Wheel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am

Ja, the subject of welding is a difficult one. I TIG weld most days whilst fabricating goods for my customers. I am not a coded nor cert welder but have good understanding and experience in welding. As a result, I cannot build a tube structure under the CAA rules. Having said that, I do see pathetic welding attempts by DIYers that I wouldnt even put my chickens in a cage that these chaps have made. This obviously is the reason why the CAA are so cautious on this subject, however, if your CAA inspector monitors your welding and proceedures and they are within the desired specs, why not?
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pete » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:35 am

As Angelwings suggested in an earlier post I would certainly choose the Sonex if you want the best bang for buck. Also a very useable little tourer. Sonex is well proven, and you are assured excellent support... I admire the talent and innovation of John Monnett

Two seater, very simple to build with most materials available locally (there are a lot of prefab options as you budget allows) and a number of engine choices. Mine would be the Jab 2200 or best the 3300 as a practical two seater at the higher density altitudes or if you have eaten a potato or three too much like me! :lol:
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread post by heisan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:24 am

Pete wrote:As Angelwings suggested in an earlier post I would certainly choose the Sonex if you want the best bang for buck. Also a very useable little tourer. Sonex is well proven, and you are assured excellent support... I admire the talent and innovation of John Monnett

Two seater, very simple to build with most materials available locally (there are a lot of prefab options as you budget allows) and a number of engine choices. Mine would be the Jab 2200 or best the 3300 as a practical two seater at the higher density altitudes or if you have eaten a potato or three too much like me! :lol:
Although materials are available locally, Sonex will not sell/approve plans outside of the US. We can only build from kits here...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
icemanza
Been liked: 0

Unread post by icemanza » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Although it is a single seat the new hummel H5 Looks interesting.

http://flyhummel.com/

http://flyhummel.com/img/H5.jpg

Any thoughts on this one ?
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Ok we all probably came across the affordaplane at some point and I think IIRC someone has mentioned on here that they are building one. (Much in the same vein as the airbike.)

Anyway, what I only realise now is that there is no welding to be done. (Still readin the site again so don't hold me to that.) I believe the ali frame (6061?) is pretty much bolted together.

Will this not make for a more affordable (pun!) plane with very little (if any) welding to be done?

Comments, suggestions, abuse?
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by heinrich » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Ok we all probably came across the affordaplane at some point and I think IIRC someone has mentioned on here that they are building one. (Much in the same vein as the airbike.)

Anyway, what I only realise now is that there is no welding to be done. (Still readin the site again so don't hold me to that.) I believe the ali frame (6061?) is pretty much bolted together.

Will this not make for a more affordable (pun!) plane with very little (if any) welding to be done?

Comments, suggestions, abuse?

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”