ScUbA_fLyEr
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Race for Rhinos 2017

Unread post by ScUbA_fLyEr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am

Horace Blok wrote:Whatever happens - DON'T EDIT THE CONTENT! The colourful language throughout and situations of confusion / being unsure etc (e.g. @ 03:40) made for a highly amusing video. I think its great!

A BE58 at full ball just has to be one of the better aviation sounds . . . .
The video was made by the video production company that was covering the event on behalf of Super Sport, the official event coverage will
be on Super Sport as it was last year. So we can edit the video even is we wanted to hahaha
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:25 pm

ScUbA_fLyEr wrote:Well where does one start, i have now attended all 3 races and all i can say is that it just keeps getting better and better.

I would like to commend every single person involved in making this event as special as it is, from the organisers right through
to the race participants. It really is a spectacular event.

This is just a short clip that the video crews put together on Saturday night to give everyone an idea of what happened.
https://vimeo.com/223955981?outro=1&ref=fb-share
Scuba, after watching that video I'm officially very jealous! I am never going to miss a Rhino race ever!! That's a promise..

Like that one guy on the video: "agge nee my Bliksem"! :lol: :lol:
Segg
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Segg » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:44 pm

ScUbA_fLyEr wrote:
Horace Blok wrote:Whatever happens - DON'T EDIT THE CONTENT! The colourful language throughout and situations of confusion / being unsure etc (e.g. @ 03:40) made for a highly amusing video. I think its great!

The video was made by the video production company that was covering the event on behalf of Super Sport, the official event coverage will
be on Super Sport as it was last year. So we can edit the video even is we wanted to hahaha
Any idea on the air date?
what goes around, comes around.
Aquila
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: VHHH or FAVB
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Aquila » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Segg wrote:
ScUbA_fLyEr wrote:

Any idea on the air date?
The ATV guys mentioned something along the lines of in two weeks time but they said they should also send out an e-mail for a heads up...
Raccoon jet driver...

See Horizons!
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAVV
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by ddevos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Sorry guys, I've been very busy since getting back from Sua, so herewith the full results...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dirk de Vos

If you don't gear up your brain before takeoff, you'll probably gear up your airplane on landing.
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by wynand » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:33 pm

ddevos wrote:Sorry guys, I've been very busy since getting back from Sua, so herewith the full results...
Thanks Dirk. Fantastic job as always.

I see ZU OPS was excluded from first day, reason, to be test flown. I believe it was then test flown and handicap adjusted accordingly. Why is it excluded from the overall results? I see Jaco and Anelle flew an excellent course distance and should feature high up in the overall results.
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." -Ernest K. Gann
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by ddevos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi Wynand, it simply was an unfortunate mistake. I was asked to keep them out of the results until after the test flight. However, with all the distractions and interruptions from people wanting to charge their cell phones or buying shirts or just looking for someone, and these cell phones being charged then ringing every few minutes as well, it wasn't very difficult to miss out on something. Next year we'll just have to have a dedicated cell phone charging booth somewhere else, we can't afford this again. I'll upload the amended results as soon as I have a chance, I have to regenerate the result files to include them.
Dirk de Vos

If you don't gear up your brain before takeoff, you'll probably gear up your airplane on landing.
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:01 pm

....and for a dummy like me what does, "open envelope" means and haw do you determine that?
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by ddevos » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:59 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:....and for a dummy like me what does, "open envelope" means and haw do you determine that?
Every crew has to have all cell phones/tablets/GPSs sealed in an envelope before departure on each day. These were then checked by the same people who sealed them after returning and those envelopes that were opened before being checked meant immediate disqualification of the crew. I suppose you can guess why they were opened... :wink: :lol:

I am also uploading the amended results, which also include a change for race 7, since there was a problem with their start time on day two, which I also rectified. At least I found out what caused it and how to prevent it from happening again in future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dirk de Vos

V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:03 pm

...txs, I copy 5/5 :lol: :lol:
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 am

A question about handicaps (probably opening a can of worms here :twisted: )

The total course distance was 634.2 miles.
The guys who flew the shortest distance (638.46 miles) were placed 30th.
Jaco Scheepers flew the second shortest distance - 638.85 miles and was place 23rd.

The winners flew 654 miles - 16 miles further.

The handicaps seem to be unfair (here we go again)
Any consideration of using the formula used in the PTAR this year - it worked really well - the 4 aircraft that had handcaps adjusted upwards all ended up in the top 7.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
jurik
Steep Turn Right
Been liked: 0

Unread post by jurik » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Iceberg wrote:A question about handicaps (probably opening a can of worms here :twisted: )

Jaco Scheepers flew the second shortest distance - 638.85 miles and was place 23rd.

Any consideration of using the formula used in the PTAR this year - it worked really well - the 4 aircraft that had handcaps adjusted upwards all ended up in the top 7.
Some may have flown a longer distance because they may have climbed significantly higher to take advantage of upper winds and descend again to get to 400ft at the turning points. The race is not just about the shortest distance, but rather a combination of navigation, using the elements to your advantage and understanding / flying your aircraft better. This race specifically do not use the PTAR H/C formula. In this race aircraft of the same type get the same H/C. I agree with this. If I can polish my aircraft to fly 2mph faster than you, then this is my advantage. At the PTAR, similar aircraft are handicapped differently, and that is the part I disagree with. But of course, if you feel your handicap is wrong, you can always do a test flight before the race to get it changed. The H/C system is probably one of the main reasons why it is so well supported.
Juri Keyter
ddevos
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by ddevos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi Karl, I did an excercise last year after the PTAR to check for the least amount of extra distance flown. On day one the aircraft with the least amount of extra distance was placed 56th. On day two another aircraft with the least amount of extra distance was placed 39th. One very important aspect of racing that competitors don't think about is what it takes to achieve the least amount of extra distance. To go around turn points in the shortest distance will invariably mean having to throttle back quite a bit in order not to overstress the aircraft, meaning time lost. And the faster the aircraft the greater the problem becomes. To fly fast and spend the least amount of time to cover the course simply means extra distance around turn points to keep the speed up, the smaller amount of extra distance is by no means an indication of a good performance. That's why a trophy for the most accurate track flown is, in my view, of no use. Of course, concentrating so much on absolutely staying on track also can cost extra time. It really is a catch-22 situation. One simply has to find the best balance of turn radius for the least amount of speed loss around the turns for the specific aircraft used in the race. And crews who have to rent an aircraft obviously will be at a bit of a disadvantage if there isn't enough time for them to practise. Hope this helps...

Edit: somehow I didn't send this reply this morning before going out to a customer. And Juri is correct, as I explained above. I might just add that we used the formula in the PTAR at Bethlehem last year already, we just changed the way it was applied this year, with adjustments now done automatically.
Dirk de Vos

Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm

jurik wrote:
Iceberg wrote:A question about handicaps (probably opening a can of worms here :twisted: )

Some may have flown a longer distance because they may have climbed significantly higher to take advantage of upper winds and descend again to get to 400ft at the turning points. The race is not just about the shortest distance, but rather a combination of navigation, using the elements to your advantage and understanding / flying your aircraft better. This race specifically do not use the PTAR H/C formula. In this race aircraft of the same type get the same H/C. I agree with this. If I can polish my aircraft to fly 2mph faster than you, then this is my advantage. At the PTAR, similar aircraft are handicapped differently, and that is the part I disagree with. But of course, if you feel your handicap is wrong, you can always do a test flight before the race to get it changed. The H/C system is probably one of the main reasons why it is so well supported.
I agree with very little that you have said above. I flew the Race for Rhinos last year and will definitely do it again. The handicap is not why I flew and will again - it is the experience of the race and where it took place that attracted me.

Climbing and descending will not gain you 16 extra miles - plus it will probably cost you in speed and time.

I agree that sometimes one will lengthen your track to e.g. go around a hill rather than climb and go over it.
But it is pretty flat in that part of Botswana. Flying wider/flatter turns is better while keeping the speed up is good - I agree with Dirk here - so one expects the faster aircraft to fly a few miles further. But this year it is the slower aircraft that flew that much further than the faster one with the shortest distance (should be the other way around).
The winning aircraft did 654 miles, it is a slow aircraft.
The aircraft placed 2-13 did between 639 to 644 miles - all 10 or more miles less than the winning aircraft.
So it does not make sense.

No two aircraft are exactly the same even if they rolled out the factory behind each other - that is why I disagree with giving the same handicap to the same type irrespectively.

Last year my handicap was 170 kts for my Seneca 2 at the RFR. My actual 3D speed was 176kts. If we flew/navigated better we could easily have won, but it would not have been fair. In the PTAR this year our 3D speed was 180 kts - the fastest of any Seneca 2 in the history of the PTAR. Yet my Seneca is stock standard - nothing special about it and I did not polish it or do anything else. And no, I did not over-boost it at all.

Lastly, the question of polishing an aircraft to make it go faster is probably a bit of sales pitch from the makers of polish. For laminar flow wings it probably makes a bit of difference but people disagree if it helps much for your run of the mill Piper or Cessna. Golf balls have indentations to reduce drag and go further than smooth balls.

Not trying to stir, just some honest debate around this issue. :wink:
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
wynand
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAHT
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by wynand » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Agreed, Karl. Altitude changes and wider turns could never add that much mileage.
There are a few competitors who plainly flew very well (like Jaco Scheepers and Anelle) and their excellence is not rewarded by a high placing in the final results.

Yet, I do not envy Dirk his job. No thanks.
Hang I there Dirk. I know you're doing your best to make it a fair race.
If I knew how, I'd certainly share my plan.
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." -Ernest K. Gann

Return to “Events”