Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Afrikaburn** who's flying?

Unread post by Whirly » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:36 am

If it means we are going to fry "Zoompies" then I am there!

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Sommerveld
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by wingnutzster » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:07 am

I'll be setting up a little drawing board and caricaturing all event with the aviation contingent, looking for a ride in if anyone has a seat open? Will pay my way
"They that wait on the Lord shall mount up on wings as an Eagle"...Isa40
Hennie Louw
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FASH
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Hennie Louw » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:26 pm

I will be flying charters into the Burn. Last year they started charging landing fees and pax tax. This year the landing fees are R1085 per landing for a C206. Caravan is almost double that.
He who rows the boat is too busy to rock it
Segg
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Segg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Hennie Louw wrote:I will be flying charters into the Burn. Last year they started charging landing fees and pax tax. This year the landing fees are R1085 per landing for a C206. Caravan is almost double that.
Thats ridiculous :evil:

I'd rather pay a friend to collect me from the tented camp a couple of KM away (AFAIK the main Tankwa airstrip is used?)
Tankwa.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
what goes around, comes around.
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 328 times

Unread post by Bearcat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Hennie Louw wrote:I will be flying charters into the Burn. Last year they started charging landing fees and pax tax. This year the landing fees are R1085 per landing for a C206. Caravan is almost double that.
Thats sad and extortionist :( . The Burn started out with great intentions but now it seems its potentially turning into a money making racket
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by wingnutzster » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:32 pm

I disagree, you'll excuse me if I'm missing something (this will be my first Burn) but in having been in touch with several of the key managers of the different departments I'v found their 'plug and play' concept to be quite fair and inclusive. I know that there have been in past events, abuse of certain systems and what they're presenting now involves many skilled professionals and in my opinion is very carefully thought out.

One initiative for instance that impressed me was the 'airspace' space on social media (I encourage you to look it up) where concerns like this can be discussed and addressed and it's a great platform for getting to know the key players as well as those who will be attending who may have similar questions/concerns. I don't think the prices are over the top considering what it is you would be a part of and there are many like myself who consider this a unique opportunity that ties creativity, art and aviation like no other.

Admittedly I won't be flying my own aircraft up with all the expenses that entails but honestly I can't wait.
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by wingnutzster » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Hennie would you mind messaging me with the details and costs?
Aspen20
Rotating
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Unread post by Aspen20 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm certain I can offer charters on a King Air to Afrikaburn at an exceptional rate. Is anyone interested in such a thing? Not looking to steal any work, just fishing.
Urgently Seeking Employment: B190, BE20, BE F90, BE90, C208, BE58/55, AC50, various other's.
Segg
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Segg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Aspen20 wrote:I'm certain I can offer charters on a King Air to Afrikaburn at an exceptional rate. Is anyone interested in such a thing? Not looking to steal any work, just fishing.
If you contact the organizers they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Funny thing is last I checked their website they were asking for volunteers to manage the airfield, so I' having a hard time understanding where those ludicrous landing and pax fees come into play. I'd rather spend that sort of cash doing a touch and go at FAOR :) Besides, there's not even any facilities available?
what goes around, comes around.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Fransw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:25 am

Are there still tickets available? Don't think so..
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Lood » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:35 am

Aspen20 wrote:I'm certain I can offer charters on a King Air to Afrikaburn at an exceptional rate. Is anyone interested in such a thing? Not looking to steal any work, just fishing.
Well, if they do charge more than R2k plus for a C208, I can just imagine what a ball they're going to have with a KA ... :?
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by Roger » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 am

wingnutzster wrote:I don't think the prices are over the top considering what it is you would be a part of....

Admittedly I won't be flying my own aircraft up with all the expenses that entails but honestly I can't wait.
Wings, that does seem to be a little contradictory.

For some, R1085 landing fee would be a significant cost of attending by aircraft. This must be a record fee even for a private strip.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
wingnutzster
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by wingnutzster » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:53 am

Roger wrote:
wingnutzster wrote:I don't think the prices are over the top considering what it is you would be a part of....

Wings, that does seem to be a little contradictory.

For some, R1085 landing fee would be a significant cost of attending by aircraft. This must be a record fee even for a private strip.
Not contradicting myself just saying that while I am aware of the costs of bringing an airee and landing it there, enough so to form the opinion that the fees aren't unreasonable, I won't be doing so myself this year. If you load up a Caravan with fee paying pax there and back surely you mitigate the expenses? I imagine the casual fliers coming up in LSA's etc will feel it most but this is no country lodge or breakfast fly-in, it's the Burn! I believe there are still tickets and as far as I know the camp manager position has been filled as I understand it by a very competent individual. See you there, or not
Hennie Louw
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FASH

Unread post by Hennie Louw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:03 pm

AfrikaBurn airfield
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who rows the boat is too busy to rock it

Return to “Events”