Moderator: Moderators

PhoenixRock
Rolling
Closest Airfield: FAPP
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

"Maiden" Record Attempt

Unread post by PhoenixRock » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:00 am

Over the last couple of weeks we have tried to find out what the current “maiden record” is on a single day by members of a single club in South Africa. As we were not able to find anything on the net, we have decided to lead the way in setting the bar. We have asked about the meaning of “maiden” and had some good opinions and discussions with members on Avcom. We also took the matter up with several RC safety officers, full size pilots, as well as SAMAA. A rather grey area… as everybody has a different opinion! We all do understand that actual meaning of the word “maiden”, but we wanted an opinion of what it would mean in our “RC World…”

As there were no definite parameters for an attempt like this, we have decided to divide the attempt into two main categories.

Category #1:
Will be known as AM (Aircraft Maiden), which will be for an airplane / helicopter’s very first flight under own power (as per dictionary meaning).

Category #2:
Will be known as PM (Pilot Maiden), which will be for a Pilot’s first flight with an already flown plane / helicopter, as per Category #1. This category will primarily include second hand acquired planes / helicopters, where a complete new setup had to be done. Some people (including RC safety officers) see it as a maiden and some people don’t. Therefore, we have decided to slot it in a separate category.

We have also looked at an option for “rebuilt maidens”, but this field is so wide open and grey, that we have decided not to include it in our attempt.

Our attempt will take place at the field of Area 51 Radio Flyers, based in Polokwane, on Saturday 4 July 2015 at 08:00.
Bob Skinner will attend our attempt as judicator, authenticator and representative of SAMAA.
Photos and video of our attempt will be posted ASAP after the event.
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me there...
BobD
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Closest Airfield: rand airport

Re: "Maiden" Record Attempt

Unread post by BobD » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:16 am

Phoenix I applaud your effort on this one but next time give us a few more days notice. I would love to have driven up from the big smoke to add another maiden.
Good luck with your record. If I had one week more my wonder would have been ready.
Cheers
Dylan
Natural stupidity beats Artificial intelligence every time
PhoenixRock
Rolling

Unread post by PhoenixRock » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks Dylan,
Thank you very much for your supportive message! =D> =D>
We'll spread the word earlier next time!
Check the pictures out next week...
Regards
Phoenix
PhoenixRock
Rolling

Unread post by PhoenixRock » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Herewith some feedback on the record attempt by Area51 RC Flyers in Polokwane:

We have managed to "maiden" the following number of planes, per category, as described / categorized in original post:

Category #1: Aircraft Maiden: 30 Brand New planes were maidened,

Category #2: Pilot Maiden: 15 Second hand acquired planes were maidened.

Bob Skinner and Noël Booysen were the judicators for our attempt. A big thank you to them for the scrutineering of all the planes before they took to the air! =D> =D>

We want to thank all members who participated, in whatever way, to make this attempt not only possible, but one huge success!

The photographer is caught up with another project at the moment and videographer is still busy with the editing of the video.
Hopefully all will be available by the weekend after which we'll post some pictures as well as a link to the video on youtube.
Rudi Pretorius
Power off stall
Closest Airfield: Polokwane

Unread post by Rudi Pretorius » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:38 am

Where are the proof.....sorry I mean photo's

Rudi
ZU-DHA
ZU-CPY
ZU-FFZ
ZU-CUJ
Love flying Ravens

Rudi Pretorius
0664752466...productionmanager@limpopodoors.co.za
PieterB77
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Pietersburg Civil

Unread post by PieterB77 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Go to our facebook page. Area 51 rc flyers.

Return to “Our Record Attempts”