Closest Airfield: Fape
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 3 times

SAWS becoming Unafordable

Unread post by Chris » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:10 am

R250 per month for VFR pilots :shock: :shock:
http://www.weathersa.co.za/web/AvChoice.asp
Chris Booysen
A ship is safe in a harbour, but that is not what it is built for.
StuartA
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Pietermaritzburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: SAWS becoming Unafordable

Unread post by StuartA » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:42 am

I'd love to know how many have actually subscribed. My guess is very few.

All that happens is that we make do with getting weather from other free sources and safety is compromised.
Stuart
nevilledp
Frequent AvComer
Location: In the sky - or on the ground looking up at the sky ... :-)
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by nevilledp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:09 pm

I will rather search for an alternative aviation weather website and take my chances, buy myself a barometer and do my own forecasting, or phone MET and have them read me the METARS and TAFS for me, than pay that amount for the 2 VFR flights I undertake per month. Ain't gonna happen.
George

Unread post by George » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Full Wx station from USA for R1500....
nevilledp
Frequent AvComer
Location: In the sky - or on the ground looking up at the sky ... :-)
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by nevilledp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 pm

George wrote:Full Wx station from USA for R1500....
Equivalent of 6 months SA weather website subscription. Bargain !
CloudDancer

Unread post by CloudDancer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:41 pm

And not only that, pathetic service! Check which Radars are actually working :evil: When you need them, useless! SAWS, please wake up, CB's are here if you did not notice and you want to pay for this useless piece of crap service!
bear
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FASH
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by bear » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:39 am

I think its unacceptable - one can apply for free memership if you a section 21 etc. They say being a taxpayer is no justification as if you flying then you are well off and can afford it.

That however, is the exact opposite of how it should work - the more tax one pays, the more services one should receive.
FAPE
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Port Elizabeth

Unread post by FAPE » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Bear wrote:
They say being a taxpayer is no justification as if you flying then you are well off and can afford it.
Where are thse wealthy pilots? 60% of student pilots in SA are not even local citizens. They typically walk/cycle to the flying schools. Who said this and is their proof of this?

:oops:
Deon van der Mescht
deon.vandermescht@gmail.com
bear
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FASH
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by bear » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Well here is text from website:

Please further note that we screen out any applications using the inconsidered argument "I am a taxpayer". Generally, a person that can afford access to an owned or leased aircraft does not fall into any income category where that person is dependent on the state for anything. We provide public good services for those individuals that cannot afford services.

They say this regarding student pilots:
•◦Evidence of financial need; either 3 months of bank statements, else a sworn affidavit that the applicant earns under R6,000 per month
◦A 2 to 4 page type written motivation for access, specifically evidencing financial need, and explaining how access will be used in a manner that does not lead to the applicant's ultimate financial gain (eg studying to be a pilot will not qualify, unless the student can evidence that they will ultimately be working for a VA of Section 21 entity, and are being sponsored by that entity)
◦For students training for their PPL, free access will only be granted if you can evidence that the course if being funded by one of the above VA or Section 21 entities, and that you obtained the sponsorship through an open and fair bursary process.
Warbirdsfly
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB FAWK
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Warbirdsfly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:07 pm

The full story - when you try to go into the aviation section..

http://www.weathersa.co.za/web/AvChoice.asp
We have 2 different options for aviators. Please select your prefered optionVisual Flying Rules
Directly through this site, for a R10 per day subscription (R250 per month by CC or EFT), pilots get a wealth of Visual Flying Rule products, all of which will work on the better mobile phones. A pro subscription also gives you access to the R6 per day premium benefits, primarily animated radar and 48 hour graphs. Click here to access, but note that you need to be a subscriber to get further than the aviation alerts page.
Instrument Flying Rules (CAA pilots only)
The commercial aviation industry (large airlines operating in SA) funds, at great expense, a site for Instrument Flying Rated pilots. Click here to go to that page, but note that you need a login and that we have cleared the database to ensure that future logins are only provided to Commercial Aviation registered & employed pilots.
Apply for free accessIf you feel that you should have these premium services for free, please click here to mail us and provide a full justification. Below we have provided some guidelines of the items that you must include to avoid your application being rejected by an admin department in the first screening round
Please note that SAWS is a Government funded department, but that funding is very specifically allocated to basic services. Aviation services have to be funded by the users, such as the Association of Commercial Airlines, and individuals seeking aviation-specific products. The burden of proof lies firmly with the applicant to show why the average taxpayer should fund the applicant's access.

Please further note that we screen out any applications using the inconsidered argument "I am a taxpayer". Generally, a person that can afford access to an owned or leased aircraft does not fall into any income category where that person is dependent on the state for anything. We provide public good services for those individuals that cannot afford services. A list of requirements when applying for free access follow. Scanned copies are sufficient for the application, but once screened, applicants are required to courier certified copies to our offices in Pretoria before the application will progress:
•VA's (Non-profit organisations under Act 71 of 1997, excluding trusts which are specifically excluded from applying). Please note that all of the following are public documents for VA's as per section 25 of the NPO Act. ◦Either an NPO certificate, else a SARS tax exemption certificate. Anything provided under the out-dated Fundraising Act is no longer acceptable, as only the NPO Act specifically covers a list of checks and measures to curtail the appropriation of profits from an NPO
◦Organisation's Constitution
◦A list of board members, with full name, ID number, compensation derived from the VA, and list of all companies of which they are a shareholder or director
◦A 1 to 2 page explanation of how members are screened into the VA, and how the VA will avoid financially stable individuals from benefitting from free access. One needs to specifically demonstrate that the VA cannot be used as a channel for wealthy individuals to access services and burden the taxpayer base unnecessarily.
◦A 1 to 2 page explanation of what the organisation does, and why it feels access should be free. One needs to specifically address the issue of for-profit schooling and training centres, and show that the VA is not a student body within such a centre. Please ensure that there is no conflict between this and the VA's registered constitution
◦Audited financial accounts for at least one full tax year
◦A SARS tax clearance certificate

•Section 21 registered companies
◦CK1 and CK2 documents
◦Section 21 registration document
◦ Shareholders Agreement and Articles of Association. Both must be signed and registered with CIPRO.
◦A list of board members, with full name, ID number, compensation derived from the company, and list of all companies of which they are a shareholder or director
◦A 1 to 2 page explanation of how company will avoid financially stable individuals from benefitting from free access. One needs to specifically demonstrate that the company cannot be used as a channel for wealthy individuals, or any other company, to access services and burden the taxpayer base unnecessarily.
◦A 1 to 2 page explanation of what the organisation does, and why it feels access should be free. One needs to specifically address the issue of section 21 schooling and training centres, and show that the company does not benefit fee-paying students. Please ensure that there is no conflict between this and the Articles of Association.
◦Audited financial accounts for at least one full tax year
◦A SARS tax clearance certificate
•Individuals ◦ID document proving that the applicant is over 21
◦Evidence of financial need; either 3 months of bank statements, else a sworn affidavit that the applicant earns under R6,000 per month
◦A 2 to 4 page type written motivation for access, specifically evidencing financial need, and explaining how access will be used in a manner that does not lead to the applicant's ultimate financial gain (eg studying to be a pilot will not qualify, unless the student can evidence that they will ultimately be working for a VA of Section 21 entity, and are being sponsored by that entity)
◦For students training for their PPL, free access will only be granted if you can evidence that the course if being funded by one of the above VA or Section 21 entities, and that you obtained the sponsorship through an open and fair bursary process.
Warbirdsfly

Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own - Chuck Yeager

In the end everything will be fine. If its not fine its not the end
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 247 times

Unread post by Roger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:10 pm

The mobile free stuff was closed off on the weekend. Suppose only days now till the free access from PC is also removed.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
jab2
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by jab2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Please further note that we screen out any applications using the inconsidered argument "I am a taxpayer". Generally, a person that can afford access to an owned or leased aircraft does not fall into any income category where that person is dependent on the state for anything. We provide public good services for those individuals that cannot afford services.
So, since the 80% bottom earners pay no tax and thus have no need for the SARS officials that do our tax returns, does it mean we will have to pay SARS in future to do our tax returns, since we can afford to?

Where is this country going? 8-[ 8-[
Post Take off checks

Unread post by Sig_ZA » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Skybound wrote:The mobile free stuff was closed off on the weekend. Suppose only days now till the free access from PC is also removed.
Mobile stuff still works for me.
This weekend they changed many of their links and also their homepage.
Gliding.
Rob K
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Rob K » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 pm

I subscribed in the beginning hoping to get access to the old SATELLITE VIS and RADAR pages but no such luck.

Eventually politely declined - from what I see there is still no improvement and the info is pathetic from an aviation perspective.

Anybody see it differently?

Rob
SAFETY FIRST AVIATOR
Romeo E.T.
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 289 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Skybound wrote:The mobile free stuff was closed off on the weekend. Suppose only days now till the free access from PC is also removed.
Rob K wrote:I subscribed in the beginning hoping to get access to the old SATELLITE VIS and RADAR pages but no such luck.

Eventually politely declined - from what I see there is still no improvement and the info is pathetic from an aviation perspective.

Anybody see it differently?

Rob
I got the same message when accessing the old mobi site, then redirected to the new site, and now you can get satellite images as well as all the radar images of Irene75/Irene300 etc etc....site seems a bit more complicated and a bit slower but has more information available and all is for free
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz

Return to “SAWS”