Mauler
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Vans
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: FutureForesight - background

Unread post by Mauler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:39 pm

tanglefoot wrote:In 2008 FF say that General Aviation will not be affected. (See Barry Gonin quote in first post)

In 2010 FF say that General Aviation can Fit in or <<moderated - language>> off.

What will FF say in 2012 :?:

Watch this space :!:
And now?

Anyone know who the owners/directors of Weather Intelligence Services are?
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:07 pm

In November 2010 it was as per my post on page 2
tanglefoot wrote:Guess what,

The Directors of WIS are

Barry Gonin
Christopher Barker
Richard Tyrer

Now WHY couldn't they just say so in the first place :roll:

Now if WIS has the contract WHAT is the role of FF :?:
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:34 pm

I would have to check back but I am happy to be corrected. FF was started by 2 ex McKinsey employees. Chris_Wis and another partner (female) whose name escapes me. She obviously had a conscience :|

Here is a quote that reflects what I believe about management consultants:
management consultants in general, and McKinsey consultants in particular, have made their entire business out of exploiting the moral grey zone surrounding confidential information.
http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2 ... d-culture/
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Looks like the wheel of fortune is starting to turn :!:

The MTN debacle in Iran is coming home to roost. The strong reliance of FF on their MTN connections and their stated full and complete involvement in setting up the Iran bid makes one think that whatever went wrong in Iran must have been influenced by Future Foresight. After all, they compiled the documentation. They compiled the consortium. They provided the BUSINESS MODEL. Above all, Future Foresight LED MTN :shock:

The question that must again be asked. Where is FutureForesight LEADING SAWS :?:

Here is a direct quote from their website http://www.futureforesight.com/#!vstc2=sa-bids. Best check it out soon because I foresee it being removed. (and I may need you to support me by confirming that it WAS there :shock: )
Futureforesight led MTN on several internaitonal (sic) GSM bids, the most notable being Iran which is now larger property than SA for MTN
It goes on to say
GSM bids are competed by the largest firms in the world, at the highest standards, and requires modelling of what is undisputably the most complex industry in the world
In terms of Skills provided by FF they say:
Business Modelling
Consortium compilation
Document compilation
Presentation and defence
Outrageous working hours under intense pressure
Last edited by tanglefoot on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Just for interest sake, FF have already started the process of distancing themselves from their MTN/Iran history.

On 27 October 2010 warbirdsfly created a thread on the general Aviation forum. He kindly posted a copy of FF's achievements in his first post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69854#p805592 INCLUDING "2004: MTN Iran bid lead" :!:

Here is another quote from warbirdsfly post to illustrate the depth of involvement of FF
FF worked on the lengthy internaitonal expansion drive for MTN. Numerous forrays including Algeria and Saudi culminated in securing the mobile license for Iran.

At one stage two FF partners landed in Iran as the sole, trusted, custodians of the bid document and bid fee, that at the time exceeded MTN's market cap in value and was of considerable value to oposition bidders.
I thought that FF had made mention of it in their achievements but when I looked this evening it was gone. Only by digging further into their website did I find the other reference (that they seem to have missed, so far) Thanks to warbirdsfly it is recorded for posterity......
2000andmore
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by 2000andmore » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Well done Warbirdsfly.........you have exposed these you know whats!

Lets hope we get SAWS back to what it was before they messed it up.
Gavin Lundie
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Found this on the Parliamentary monitoring Group website. The meeting was held on the 9th of May 2012

There is a specific reference to the renegotiation of FF's contract. I rather like the bit about SAWS (the client) having to meet targets and possibly facing a financial penalty. Shouldn't it be FF (The service provider) that should meet targets :? Sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog to me.

I've quoted some other paragraphs and highlighted some sentences that grabbed my attention.

http://www.pmg.org.za/report/20120509-a ... e-hearings
SAWS: Financial information
SAWS discussed its budget for 2012-13. The operating expenditure (opex) grant was reduced by R10 million from 2010/11 to 2011/12. SAWS had compensated for this by cutting on administrative expenses, as most money had been allocated towards the Waterkloof Land Development Project. SAWS was grateful for the funding it had received from Government, though it would work to urge the DEA and the National Treasury to increase funding so that SAWS operations could continue. SAWS relied heavily on aviation for its revenue, though it planned to generate more income through other commercial entities. Income on investment interest was said to decrease as capital had been withdrawn in order to roll out the numerous operations of SAWS. As a result of fewer grants, operational expenditure decreased as many operations had to be shelved, though these could not be delayed indefinitely.
Ms C Zikalala (IFP) said she was glad SAWS was dealing with the issue of a lack of scientists, as the organisation desperately needed people trained in maths and science. Also, it was good that schools and universities were being involved, as they were very valuable to SAWS.

She requested more information on the training of pilots and stressed the importance of informing aviation entities about weather conditions, as this ensured the safety of passengers on board flights.

Dr Winifred Jordaan, SAWS Head of Training, said that pilot training included the training of all aviation personnel. The training had been tightened over the last few years because during discussions between the National Civil Aviation Authority and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) it was said that SAWS was not strict enough on testing the competencies of aviation personnel. SAWS had thus updated its competency tests, which now formed part of the training of South African Air Force personnel. SAWS was not involved in the training of commercial pilots, which fell under the mandate of private pilot training schools. However, training of its personnel was a key priority area for SAWS.

SAWS responded to the issue of aviation dangers. Aircraft accidents were sometimes due to technical failures, but could also sometimes be caused by irresponsible behaviour of pilots. Meteorologists could only recommend where they thought pilots should or should not fly, but in the end the pilot would make up his or her own mind.
Mr Morgan asked SAWS to brief the Committee on the renegotiation of its contract with Future Foresight. Why was there a need to terminate the contract? Had a date been set to terminate the contract? Was there any update on the contract since the renegotiation took place?

SAWS replied that the organisation formed partnerships with other companies such as MTN and Vodacom. In terms of the commercial contracts with such companies, such as the one with Future Foresight, SAWS was required to meet certain targets. However, due to a lack of funding, SAWS was unable to meet these targets and thus liable to a financial penalty. Consequently, instead of terminating the contract entirely, it was decided to renegotiate the contract so that targets were set at lower levels.

Mr Morgan wanted to know whether SAWS charged an administrative cost for providing weather information to companies that used the data for their own commercial gain.

SAWS responded to this by saying that the fees charged for providing data depended on whether the data was raw or processed, the latter type being charged more. SAWS said, however, that data provided to university students for research was provided free of charge.

Mr Morgan asked how SAWS planned to increase its commercial revenue, whether it would hike existing prices or attempt to get new clients with new business opportunities.

To this issue, Dr Makuleni responded by saying that SAWS would not increase its prices. Instead, it would expand its business into untapped industries such as that of mining and construction. She mentioned how US weather services were able to ask low prices because they were fully subsidised by the US government, and seeing as these companies had access to South African markets, SAWS could thus not afford to increase its prices, due to the competition posed by alternative weather services.
Here's one that I rather like. I think it would be more suited to a FutureForesight type of contract. I'm sure that the community leader will need a Pajero 4x4 in addition to the cell phone that SAWS would obviously have to sponsor.

How about the idea to identify foggy areas and "harvest" the water sources (sic). Is there technology for harvesting low flying clouds 8) They would need to bottle it pretty quickly so that it doesn't evaporate when the air warms up :D
Dr Makuleni briefed the Committee on a new initiative of SAWS, namely community rainfall stations. She said this project was particularly important in rural areas near rivers where rainfall was abundant. Members of the community would identify a community leader who would assist the Disaster Management Authorities in monitoring rainfall levels. This information could then be communicated further via cellphones. However, funding was needed for SAWS to implement this pilot project. She said SAWS had managed to get R2.4 million in funding from the Water Research Commission to implement a project in collaboration with the University of Pretoria. The project entailed identifying foggy areas, for example Venda in Limpopo, and then harvesting the fog to collect water sources.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:09 pm

SAWS VISION - THEN AND NOW
Just another link http://www.mydigitallife.co.za/index.ph ... Itemid=150

It dates back to 2009. It is too long to post here but what I found interesting is that many of the things that he talked about then are still a dream. The quotes are all attributed to Chris Barker (Chris_WIS / Chris_WIS2)

I'm amazed that you can't zoom in on live thunderstorms :wink:
At the moment, the company is marketing the industry portal aspect of the weather site. Companies can subscribe to portals, which will provide information relevant to their location, and in as much detail as zooming in on a road constriction site, says Barker.
Wow, how many companies are there that STILL subscribe :?:
Subscription costs vary depending on the size of the area for which information is provided, but generally companies pay about R8 000 a month.
Google Earth Applications and 3D
He comments that companies will receive SMS or alarm alerts, and can then look up detailed information on the Web site. The information it provides – through the Google Earth application – is as detailed as to show wind speed and storm direction. It also gives views of recent lightening strikes.

The information is provided in a three-dimensional format and is interactive, he explains.
I hope he put as much pressure and dished out as much misinformation on the 'industrial' subscribers as he did on us at the end of 2010. Funny, it is now 2012 and SAWS says that Aviation still accounts for the majority of their revenue (previous post)
Barker says he aims to have industrial subscriptions account for half of the SA Weather Service`s revenue by the end of 2011. The balance is earned from supplying data to aviation companies.
Who thinks that FF sold any of these packages? Does anyone know of a golf course that subscribes to SAWS? Does anyone know of a golf course that installed a SAWS lightning siren (and has not yet put in a manual overide)
Another project is being pitched at the 463 golf courses in SA. Barker says golf courses can receive accurate SMS warnings of lightening, or they can install an alarm box for R2 600 to warn golfers.
In the previous post SAWS explained that the village chief would get a cell phone to phone SAWS if there was a flood warning to help SAWS extend their data collection network. 3yrs ago it was the other way around #-o
He explains that an SMS can be sent to a village chief to alert villagers that a flood is on its way in an hour. The warning is expected to save lives, as previous cautions were vague and most people did not leave the riverbank, he says. “You can`t say, for this whole month, keep away from the river.”
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 pm

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2012/0 ... side-story
An extensive paper trail reveals how Yusuf Saloojee, who was suspended this week from his position as ambassador of Oman, got R1,4m from MTN’s former Iran chief which he used to buy a house in Faerie Glen, Pretoria.
Barry Gonin's "operational experience" according to the futureforesight website. Although he claims to have been with Futureforesight since 2005 he only left MTN in May 2006.
12 years MTN, last role as GM and right hand man to MD MTN-SA, led strategy and acquisitions
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Well, guess what. I bought myself a new cell phone. A "smart phone" no less!!!

I was browsing through the Android Apps for my phone and I came across a "WeatherSA" App from our favourite supplier, Weather Intelligence Services (WIS) :!: Surprise surprise, the app is FREE :!: :!: :!:

Funny thing though. Under the developer the email address is given as wisops@futureforesight.com. No surprise there, but the webpage is given as http://africaweather.com :?

What is interesting is that the weathersa.co.za website is hosted by telkom (no surprise there) but the africaweather.com website is hosted by internet solutions.

Now, does WeatherSA know that WIS have their own "weathersa" website :?:
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun May 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Goodo, Glad the mining industry is falling head over heels for this lot. Keeps the pressure off aviation. Funny thing is that I can't find the name of any mining group that has signed up for WIS's service. Probably just poor advertising on the part of WIS.
http://www.miningweekly.com/topic/weath ... ce-systems
Site-specific weather forecasting impacts on mine safety
Weather forecast provider Weather Intelligence Systems (WIS) is providing site-specific, near-term, relevant weather forecasting to the mining industry through its WISPOP product, which enables mines to optimise production schedules and take...
By: Eleanor Seggie
14th May 2010
Company Announcement: Safety First with WIS Weather Detection System
“Weather Intelligence Systems’ web based early warning weather detection service sets new standards in forward planning, safety and productivity for mining operations,” according to the manager of a mining group.
By: Creamer Media Reporter
17th November 2011
Weather prediction systems to be launched across Africa
Weather forecast provider Weather Intelligence Systems (WIS) states that it will be expanding its web-based real-time early warning weather detection system and automated on-site weather station to include the rest of Africa by the end of the...
By: Yolandi Booyens
9th November 2012

Return to “SAWS”