CAA not responding to FAA foreign validation requests

Questions for the South African Civil Aviation Authority.

Moderator: Moderators

pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 15 times

CAA not responding to FAA foreign validation requests

Unread post by pwnel » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:02 pm

This is just shocking. In order to do a checkride in the US you need the foreign license validation. After waiting 5 months, this is the response from the FAA after inquiring. That means restarting the application yet again and waiting for CAA before I can do a checkride.
Good morning,

We sent a verification request to South Africa on 6 different occasions with no response. Unfortunately due to our regulations this current file will need to be closed due to no response and you will need to reapply. I have attached a new application for you.

Respectfully,
Daniel Weaver
FAA Airmen Certification Branch
Foreign Verification Department
E-mail: foreign-verification4@faa.gov
Phone: 405-954-1890
FAA ASEL COM (IF), MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
Mooney 231
Nicolaas206
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: VHHH
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: CAA not responding to FAA foreign validation requests

Unread post by Nicolaas206 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 am

Also waiting for a verification letter from the useless SACAA. There is a fee involved as well. Guys on my course from New Zealand who had to do the same got their letters the next day, for free. One of the things I'm definitely not going to miss from Efrica.
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
Jetblast
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Jetblast » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am

Nicolaas206 wrote:Also waiting for a verification letter from the useless SACAA. There is a fee involved as well. Guys on my course from New Zealand who had to do the same got their letters the next day, for free. One of the things I'm definitely not going to miss from Efrica.
I acquired a verification letter within the last 3 months. Best is to phone Hildegard Joubert. (011) 5451253 Thats her direct line. As with any CAA servant she's difficult to reach. Just be persistent.

If all else fails drive there. And go see her. Be friendly. She is very approachable. But dont have an attitude. She has enough work for 5 people. So take a nice Lindt Slab with. That got me my first verification letter there and then.
I take life with a grain of salt, a wedge of lime and a shot of Tequila!
Jetblast
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Jetblast » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 am

Oh yes. I never paid for a verification letter. Ive had two now.
I take life with a grain of salt, a wedge of lime and a shot of Tequila!
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by paulw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am

Is it possible to get such a letter before you travel and how long is such a letter valid?

When you emigrate, can you have your license converted and you never need such a letter again or would you require such a letter every 2 years or whatever time specified?
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
Insane
Engine re-started
Closest Airfield: Nearest gravel strip
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Insane » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Zim licence verification is no different. They will NOT send a letter of verification (or advise you that they have received a request) if you have not paid US$50.00, presented the receipt to licencing office (in person) which involves a trip to Harare International Airport, filled in the book quoting the receipt number, value and which country the verification is for. Only THEN will the confirmation be sent!!
Never under estimate the power of a small group of stupid people!!
CC
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Kidwell 1L4 Nevada USA
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by CC » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 am

pwnel wrote:This is just shocking. In order to do a checkride in the US you need the foreign license validation. After waiting 5 months, this is the response from the FAA after inquiring. That means restarting the application yet again and waiting for CAA before I can do a checkride.
Good morning,

We sent a verification request to South Africa on 6 different occasions with no response. Unfortunately due to our regulations this current file will need to be closed due to no response and you will need to reapply. I have attached a new application for you.

Respectfully,
Daniel Weaver
FAA Airmen Certification Branch
Foreign Verification Department
E-mail: foreign-verification4@faa.gov
Phone: 405-954-1890
Does anyone know if this is still a problem?
I also sent an email to foreign-verification4@faa.gov for info, as I need to inform my SA clients coming for training in the US.
Milne "CC" Pocock. FAA CFI. cc@bush-air.com
Advanced Bush & Mountain flying and Tailwheel training. Author of the Bush & Mountain Flying book.
AOPA "Distinguished Flight Instructor" Award 2018
www.Bush-Air.com
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by pwnel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 pm

CC wrote: Does anyone know if this is still a problem?
I also sent an email to foreign-verification4@faa.gov for info, as I need to inform my SA clients coming for training in the US.
CC the mistake in that example was that I didn't chase it down within the CAA like I did previously. Kind of just relied on them to do their job. The problem is that even the FAA states that this can take 90 days. If you trust the CAA and leave it that long, it may have disappeared and you just lost 3 months and have to start fresh.

I have had this done in two months in 2013, 2 weeks in 2015 and I've had it disappear after 5 months in 2016. (The validation is only valid for 6 months and you need it every time you do a new rating/license in the US)

So don't leave it till the last minute and then rely on the FAA and CAA to respond in 24 hrs - but DO follow up with them to check that it was received and submit it well in advance before you need it. Submit with FAA, give it two weeks, then confirm directly by email with the relevant CAA official that the request was received and is being attended to. These folks are all nice and helpful in my experience so don't fight with them - they're not Armstrong :D . As far is I have it, in ascending order of seniority:

Hildegarde Joubert <JoubertH@caa.co.za> - Licensing officer
Amanda Haverkamp <HaverkampAm@caa.co.za> - Senior Licensing officer
Mary Stephens <StephensMa@caa.co.za> - Senior Manager - Licensing
FAA ASEL COM (IF), MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
Mooney 231
CC
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by CC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:25 am

I recommend to everyone that once you have a validation you then go for a full US license. It is not difficult to obtain and you can do all the studying at home in South Africa including simulated FAA theory tests on your PC.

In addition if you have a validation based on an SA PPL, then I recommend you rather go straight for a US com. It is only one exam. Instrument rating another exam. You have two years after the theory test to do your oral and flight checkride with an examiner.

The nice part of having an FAA license is that it is issued for life so you never have to renew it. However to keep it valid you need to meet the flight review and medical requirements which you can also do in SA.

I think it is easier to get a foreign license validation elsewhere in the world based on an FAA license.

Also any pilot in SA not intending to do any commercial flying in SA should rather consider going this route, as the FAA Com is accepted in virtually all countries!
Advanced Bush & Mountain flying and Tailwheel training. Author of the Bush & Mountain Flying book.
www.Bush-Air.com
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:48 am

CC wrote:I recommend to everyone that once you have a validation you then go for a full US license. It is not difficult to obtain and you can do all the studying at home in South Africa including simulated FAA theory tests on your PC.
I have been thinking of doing this once I emigrate as it appeared to me as well that getting validations is a pain.

Can I take it that all your hours will count and you only need to do the practical and theory tests?

Do you still need the SA Validation?

Is it possible to get a validation before leaving the country or do you have to apply via FAA or Australia CAA or where ever you go?
CC wrote: Also any pilot in SA not intending to do any commercial flying in SA should rather consider going this route, as the FAA Com is accepted in virtually all countries!
If you get your FAA license but emigrate to Australia, will the FAA license be valid for normal day to day flying or would you still need to get an Australia license?
I assume if you fly a FAA registered aircraft it will be fine on FAA license, but what if you fly an Australia or other registered aircraft?
CC
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by CC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 am

Everyone reading this please note!

A U.S. pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license under 14 CFR 61.75 remains in effect as long as the foreign pilot license used to obtain the U.S. pilot certificate is valid! You only need to do the process once.( i.e the letter from the CAA).

Another very important note:
A flight review, required by 14 CFR 61.56, must be administered by an FAA flight instructor before the foreign pilot may exercise the privileges of the U.S. pilot validation. Flight Reviews / Proficiency checks by a foreign flight instructor or examiner do not count as meeting the FAA's flight review requirements of 14 CFR 61.56.
www.Bush-Air.com
CC
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by CC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 am

paulw wrote:
I have been thinking of doing this once I emigrate as it appeared to me as well that getting validations is a pain.

Can I take it that all your hours will count and you only need to do the practical and theory tests?

Do you still need the SA Validation?

Is it possible to get a validation before leaving the country or do you have to apply via FAA or Australia CAA or where ever you go?

If you get your FAA license but emigrate to Australia, will the FAA license be valid for normal day to day flying or would you still need to get an Australia license?
I assume if you fly a FAA registered aircraft it will be fine on FAA license, but what if you fly an Australia or other registered aircraft?
US validation is pretty straight forward and easy to obtain.
You should obtain the Foreign Pilot Validation based on your SA license prior to starting your flight training towards a US certificate. training.
You can apply for the validation 90 days prior to coming to the US but can only collect it at a local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) as you need to appear in person.
Yes all hours count toward a full FAA license however you will still need to do dual prep with a US instructor as per part 61 of the FARS.
You will have to check with the AUS CASA re the FAA license. I am not familiar with Australian aviation.
www.Bush-Air.com
Neville Ferreira
Helicopter getting close
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 am

I handed my CAA foreign validation paper in with USA application in during November 2017. Receiver FAA paperwork 2-3 Jan.
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:59 am

@CC: Thank you CC

@Neville, so you went the route: CAA Validation directly at CAA in SA while here -> FAA application and not FAA application -> letter to CAA from FAA and then wait yonks?
Hannes Moolman
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: EDKB
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Hannes Moolman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:00 am

Good day all

I am planning to do hourbuilding in the US in early Feb. Visa, flight school, accommodation all set, I sent my foreign licence + medical validation application in to the FAA yesterday, any chance of getting this within the next 4 weeks?

From the FAA website:
In addition to the procedures stated under Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating and Medical Certification above, airmen from Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand or the United Kingdom must contact their respective CAA to complete additional forms that are required PRIOR to providing the requested information to the Airmen Certification Branch. We have provided a link to each CAA for your convenience:

Did the FAA miss SA since I thought most of the British commonwealth countries are listed, how come SA is not listed?

Can anyone please advise on the procedure.

PS: I am in Germany and have to do any admin remotely.

Regards
Hannes
Freedom of speech.....unless you're not free to say it

Return to “CAA General Questions”