Do not trade using an e-wallet

Motorbikes, property, electronics and non flying kitchen sinks to be placed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
No commercial adverts please (If your intended post is of a commercial nature, then please follow this link and read BEFORE you post : http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=54617) .If you are advertising for a friend - the ad must contain the owners contact details. If you wish to advertise in the commercial section: - email ads@avcom.co.za for more information. Model Aircraft have their own section - any posted here will be deleted.
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 96 times

Do not trade using an e-wallet

Unread post by Roger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 am

There is a person who is frequenting a number of recreational forums classified sections and ripping community members off. There are about half a dozen reports in our own Trader Watch section.

The modus operandi is the same each time, where the person is not registered on any of the platforms and makes contact via whatsapp or any form of instant messaging and encourages the trade to be done via a e-wallet. (E-wallet is a means to send money to a cell phone number with a pin to withdraw funds directly from a bank ATM)

For now, we would strongly discourage any person from using an e-Wallet unless you are 100% certain about the person you are transacting with.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
witisdiekleur
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Centurion
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: Do not trade using an e-wallet

Unread post by witisdiekleur » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I used ewallet horrible way of doing business.
moe786
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: SSC
Has liked: 0

Unread post by moe786 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:41 am

I got conned by this scamster. Sap case opened and investigating officer assigned. bank has also been informed and also doc sent to bank.
Stearman
Mini ultra stik
Ugly stick
Eflite carbon z Yak
Discovery trainer
Eflite leader
Mini acro wot
Umx Trojan
Umx J3 Cub
UMX Pt 17
Umx Beast 3D
oosthunj
Reaching altitude

Unread post by oosthunj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:54 am

This person contacted me yesterday wanted me to make a cash wallet payment.... this is for a wanted add I put on Avcom for a Magnum 120FS head. When I asked him for banking details he insists that I do cash payment. He said he will forward banking details but till this morning nothing..... one must know your banking details by heart isn't it?

Gabriel Steenkamp
I'd no 6703155096087
175 Steenbrass Rd
Buffelsbaai
Knysna
witisdiekleur
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Centurion
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by witisdiekleur » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 am

Also had a problem earlier this week. The guy deposit R99 for a parcel I have to send. I withdraw 300 bucks after the help of the guard lekka in my pocket.
oosthunj
Reaching altitude

Unread post by oosthunj » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Nothing personal whatsoever....a lot of avcom people lost a lot of money with cash payments recently....this is a type of payment that rather needs to be avoided. In future better to only work via PM on Avcom.... my apology if it offended you but not meant like that....
Grobbies
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Richards Bay

Unread post by Grobbies » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:37 pm

No excuse its my own fault but I also got scammed by the same guy using the name, surname and ID of Gabriel Steenkamp.

Think its the same guy that's registered in this group with e-mail "Ben61".

Luckily its was only R400.00 but still....

The name Gabriel Steenkamp and his ID is legitimate. So it must be ID theft as well. The person Steenkamp resides in Strand, Cape Town.

How do one stop this guy.??
Grobbies
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Richards Bay

Unread post by Grobbies » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm

moe786 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:41 am
I got conned by this scamster. Sap case opened and investigating officer assigned. bank has also been informed and also doc sent to bank.
If its the guy using the name of Gabriel Steenkamp, you can add me on your case as additional evidence. R400 gone.
Vesparado
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Not saying
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Vesparado » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Grobbies wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm
moe786 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:41 am
If its the guy using the name of Gabriel Steenkamp, you can add me on your case as additional evidence. R400 gone.

I caught Gabriel out. Sorry to tell you your lunch money is gone.

Ves
I say,Fly It like you stole it!
ZUBZ
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by ZUBZ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:22 pm

Another thing to note is they try to hack your phone number and draw via or through e wallet, I personally have not went through this like you guys but I was relaxing on a Sunday night when I got a message saying password change or something to that effect I can’t remember now but when I called FNB they confirmed somebody tried accessing my e wallet and I blocked it .
RickduPreez
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAMO

Unread post by RickduPreez » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 pm

I recently got scammed by someone who used the name of Benjamin van Straaten (probably a stolen identity) I unfortunately gave this crook a copy of my driver's licence. He is now using my credentials to try and scam other victims. I bought a Bose A20 set from him, which was non existent.

I found a newly created profile closely matching mine. My profile is "RickduPreez" (created in 2016), the new profile uses a combination of my name and surname, but was created in 2019. I do not want to mention the possible scamming user directly, but I have opened up a case of fraud with the police.

I feel really dumb for falling for a deal that is too good to be true. I don't care about the money, but do care about protecting my name.

Please be on the lookout for anybody using my name to sell products and services on Avcom.

He will either use "Benjamin van Straaten" or my name "Rick du Preez". He will provide you with a copy of my driver's licence to secure the deal. Don't do it!
Frans Larkins
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Ngodwana

Unread post by Frans Larkins » Thu May 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Just to add another name. He goes by the name Eugene. He sold me a carburetor for my 3W157. Insisted that I use e-wallet. I read some other reviews from people that commended Eugene for good service. I believe he also read the reviews and used Eugene’s name. I was caught and lost R600. The number he used is now disconnected. So the warnings are real guys. He is scamming anybody.
Ultimate 42%
Chipmunk
Stop Sign
Mini Ultra Stick

Return to “Non aviation items”