Club Chairmanship

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Ricoby
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Lephalale Airport
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Club Chairmanship

Unread post by Ricoby » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Good day all.
Is it right that a Chairman of a SAMAA registered club can also be the Safety Officer of that club and fly at such club whereby such self appointed Chairman is not a paid up member of SAMAA and does not even hold a SAMAA or any other profiency??? Surely a Club Safety Officer is required to have at least a (hopefully higher than Solo) profiency and needs to be a paid up SAMAA member?
Unplanned 3D landings are not always fun.
Spektrum DX18 Gen 1 Limited Edition
35% Pilot RC Yak 54 DLE 111cc
Goldwing Ultimate 60cc EME
Sebart Sukhoi 29S 140 RCGF 30cc twin
74" 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540 V2 32cc RCGF
DJI Phantom 3 Professional
Piggy-Hawk
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Re: Club Chairmanship

Unread post by Piggy-Hawk » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 pm

Ricoby wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:12 pm
Good day all.
Is it right that a Chairman of a SAMAA registered club can also be the Safety Officer of that club and fly at such club whereby such self appointed Chairman is not a paid up member of SAMAA and does not even hold a SAMAA or any other profiency??? Surely a Club Safety Officer is required to have at least a (hopefully higher than Solo) profiency and needs to be a paid up SAMAA member?
"Is it right" is probably the wrong question.

If you want to know if it's "right", try Immanuel Kant's categorical imperative to determine if you can/should act on a maxim :D

Finding out if it's wrong would be the easier alternative.

Clubs are non profit organizations. That means that the chairperson is elected (not sure how he elected himself). If you don't agree with what is being done, elect someone else.

If you want to determine if what is being done is against the rules, read the club's code of good governance (keeping in mind that this has no legal standing).

In general, what you have a problem with won't be an issue. Normally there's only a problem when the CEO of a for profit company also acts as the chairperson (conflict of interest reasons).

Before doing anything, determine why you have a problem with that person fulfilling both roles. Being on a board, and even worse, acting as chairperson is the last thing I would sign up for. I have better ways to spend my time.

Be careful of getting rid of the chairperson. If I was part of the club, I would then vote for you to chair :lol:
SteveJay
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 0

Unread post by SteveJay » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:56 am

The Caption on the SAMAA heading is:

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time.

I am surprised that nobody from SAMAA has commented!!

Notwithstanding the one flamboyant, tautology laden reply, all the clubs that I know (and visit) expect all their members and visitors to be current SAMAA members. If the field is SAMAA registered, then this will be one of the SAMAA requirements.

It would thus be the one of the chairman’s’ duties to enforce this requirement.

Who is chairman and what other responsibilities he / she chooses to take on may be besides the point so long as he /she does not fly!
Piggy-Hawk
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Unread post by Piggy-Hawk » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:11 pm

I would have used "attention seeking flamboyant" to keep the tautology going... :wink:
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by danie.e » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 am

The Original Post smacks of "club politics" - usually the reason why so many people have left the hobby in the past and more will go in future.

Unless ALL club members put shoulder to the wheel and work together to run a successful club, topics such as the OP will continue and we will have nothing to discuss on AVCOM [-X :smt040
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for ASP Engines, CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Ricoby
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Lephalale Airport

Unread post by Ricoby » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:23 am

Guy's, I asked a simple question and looked for a simple answer.
After talking to Bob Skinner I have my answer, not the drivel some of you are posting here.
SAMMA rules that ALL members of a club, including ALL committee members be SAMAA members.
As it turns out, the club in question was listed by SAMAA but not registered as the person in question has not done all the required paperwork (after 6 years) and lied to the members that the club was registered and does not even have the permission of the landowner for the club to fly at the premises it is situated on. Case closed.
Please note that I am a paid up member of SAMAA and a paid up member of Umbila Radio Flyers, which is NOT the club in question here.
Jan Maree and his committee members do a great job at Umbila and expect all their members to abide by the club and SAMAA rules.
Unplanned 3D landings are not always fun.
Spektrum DX18 Gen 1 Limited Edition
35% Pilot RC Yak 54 DLE 111cc
Goldwing Ultimate 60cc EME
Sebart Sukhoi 29S 140 RCGF 30cc twin
74" 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540 V2 32cc RCGF
DJI Phantom 3 Professional

Return to “Ask SAMAA”