Rules regarding large models

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Rules regarding large models

Unread post by Trevorn » Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 am

What are the rules governing very large models?

I am considering building a 50% scale Fokker DR1.
wingspan 3,6m
weight around 50 to 60 kg
engine size 250 cc to 300 cc.

Would this be considered a light plane where EAA would have to get involved, or is it something that can be doen with SAMAA?
Heineman
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: MRF Pretoria
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Rules regarding large models

Unread post by Heineman » Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 am

Send a email to SAMAA the will respond immediately. I do not think they will reply via Avcom
Planes wirh Futaba
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Trevorn » Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am

I did. No reply from the email.
Looks like they only reply to subscription queries.
Multirotordronepilot
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Multirotordronepilot » Wed May 15, 2019 8:32 am

Trevor we have recently had this issue run through the jet fraternity and I thought someone else would add some detail here but I see not.

SAMAA have enforced the maximum weight of 25kg per aircraft. This does not mean that you cannot complete a aircraft which has a greater mass but as you have indicted this needs to have gone through an inspection and approval process. But I am not sure that the measures are in place for that at this moment, however I could be wrong and they have these in place.

I would suggest a direct call to their office
Trevor
Defense Contractor/Test Pilot
Commercial pilot,Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
TopRC HawkerHunter
JetLegend ViperJet
BVM F80 ShootingStar
1/3 J3 Cub
ZS-VVR
J3 Clipped Wing Cub Replica ZU-XXX
If flying slow isn't fun, you're doing it wrong
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by danie.e » Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 am

SAMAA enforced the weight limit so as not to upset the apple cart until such time as the new regulations comes into force.

New regulations was approved and only awaits publishing in the Government Gazette expected to be published June/July this year.
Once the new regs has been published it is law and all models weighing more than 25kg will have to be "licenced" (for lack of a better word) and a specific process will have to be followed to obtain a "licence" certificate (or permit?) to fly it. There is as I understand it, no specific weight limit.

In respect of a "scratch" built process, there will be inspections etc. required to establish that proper aerodynamic laws are adhered to, test flights performed etc. and that the aircraft will be safe to fly before a "permit" is issued.

In respect of a commercial "ARF" or factory "pre-built" type large scale, the regulator accepts that the aircraft has undergone the required development testing, scrutiny, and testing, so obtaining the "permit" will be in effect a fairly straightforward process to the owner.

SAMAA will handle the "licencing" process.
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for ASP Engines, CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Trevorn » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am

danie.e wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 am
SAMAA enforced the weight limit so as not to upset the apple cart until such time as the new regulations comes into force.

New regulations was approved and only awaits publishing in the Government Gazette expected to be published June/July this year.
Once the new regs has been published it is law and all models weighing more than 25kg will have to be "licenced" (for lack of a better word) and a specific process will have to be followed to obtain a "licence" certificate (or permit?) to fly it. There is as I understand it, no specific weight limit.

In respect of a "scratch" built process, there will be inspections etc. required to establish that proper aerodynamic laws are adhered to, test flights performed etc. and that the aircraft will be safe to fly before a "permit" is issued.

In respect of a commercial "ARF" or factory "pre-built" type large scale, the regulator accepts that the aircraft has undergone the required development testing, scrutiny, and testing, so obtaining the "permit" will be in effect a fairly straightforward process to the owner.

SAMAA will handle the "licencing" process.
I am fully in favor of this rule as it will enforce a safer large model. It seems as if the process is fairly similar to the old LSA home built catogory. My question would be who will SAMAA see as a "Competent person"? For now I would guess a EAA "competent person" would do.

Im sure there is a upper weight limit, but cannot find any official info on this. If there is no weight limit in theory one could fly a full size 747 as a rc model. I just hope it is around the 60 kg mark. (There should also be a speed limit.)

This project is probably a year away from starting. First I need to see if it would be legle. It seems as if it would be. Next is to get AIrcraft grade birch ply. That is going to be tricky. I guess one on the LHS who import container loads would be willing to include some for me. Any volenteers?

So it would seem as if there is a green light for this one.

Incidently if SAMAA is looking for "competent person" to do inspections, I would volenteer for wood structures as I have the requried expeince.
Last edited by Trevorn on Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
heisan
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by heisan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

From the SAMAA safety code:
Large model aircraft:
(i) Large scale model aircraft will be allowed to operate from the field provided they conform with all the requirements of the CAA and SAMAA as set out in the “Manual of Procedure” published by SAMAA. (present maximum weight permitted is 25 Kgs)
(ii) Valid exemption certificates issued by the CAA inspector (large scale inspector), will be required for any aircraft exceeding one or more of these requirements/limitations.
(iii) Special precautions may need to be enforced by the club when these aircraft are being operated, as they require longer runways for landing, and use up a huge amount of sky.
(iv) All pilots flying these model aircraft will have done a large conversion course (through the SIG) and will have achieved and be in possession of at least a SAMAA silver merit qualification.
(v) A pilot who wishes to fly, but does not have the required SAMAA rating must be accompanied by a suitably qualified SAMAA gold rated pilot when flying.
(vi) Large scale aircraft will always fly at least 50 meters from spectators, but for take off and landing this distance may be reduced to 30 meters.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Trevorn » Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am

Okay I got a mail from Bob.

There is a weight limit of 50 kg.(it seems as if jets are 35 kg) The build process is very similar to building a home built full size, where you need to registar the project and get a build number. Then keep a build record.

Pilot proficincy is also added.

I think this is a very good development fromSAMAA.

Well done to all who were involved.
fly scale
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: Home
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by fly scale » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:58 am

Good Morning Uncle Trevor,

Wow a 50% DR1, will be nice, so if i understand this corrcet, builds up to 25kg will be as normal and builds over 25kg up to 50kg, will be under the rules, build no and inspections and..... ?

And what about the planes thats over 25kg and are flying already ?

Regards

Vic
fly scale
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: Home
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by fly scale » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am

One last thing, whats the proficincy for a Scale plane up to 25kg and what will it be for up to 50kg?

Regards

Vic

Return to “Ask SAMAA”