samaa news poll

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

when did your copy of SAMAA news arrive

1st week in december
6%
2nd week in december
28%
3rd week in december
28%
4th week in dedember
39%

Total votes: 18
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

samaa news poll

Unread post by clivem » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:53 pm

when did u recieve your latest copy of the SAMAA news ?? the november december issue.

i received mine today 24th december.

luckily my xmas shopping is complete
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: samaa news poll

Unread post by clivem » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:31 am

37 views and only 3 samaa people :roll:
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
Mike Brews
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Barnstormers
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Mike Brews » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:07 pm

I would hazard a guess that there are more non SAMAA RC Modellers than SAMAA members
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by cabeng » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:43 pm

seldom read here , also got mine just before the 24th , not cool i suspect for shops advertizing ??
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by danie.e » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Cannot vote, have not received one
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
vankie
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: PRF

Unread post by vankie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:09 pm

cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by cabeng » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Vankie . Interesting read indeed . But to make me all warm and fuzzy inside my R350 pa earns me the right to my piece of air free if the risk of flying into a full size aircraft. Once that is lost then SAMAA has lot their core business
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
vankie
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: PRF

Unread post by vankie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:48 am

Agree on the air space but think that is regulated by Aero Club? Just hoping that is pans out in such a way that the SAMAA news survive for all the right reasons. Printing a 16 page publication is almost not worth the paper as it will most probably only contain a few ads and limited articles or announcements which are available in the other electronic media in any case? Would add value of the articles can increase? Not sure, think they need to do some kind of a poll to see what the 4000 odd members require. These silly members are the customers one must keep happy to provide value add to and I feel this was missed in total. I believe that most would not mind paying R450 pa knowing the value add will be there and protected. All we see as tangible items are the card, SAMAA news and the postage that goes with that. The insurance is another story but valid. Would be terrible if the SAMAA News goes down.
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi,

During Oct 2013, we forecast that the Newsletter costs would overrun the budget approved at the 2013 AGM. An emergency meeting was held in Nov 2013 with the relevant parties & very strict targets were set for the Editor to achieve prior to approval for producing the Nov/Dec edition. These targets were eventually met & the approval to print went ahead, albeit delayed for various reasons - not all related to the targets. Another condition set during the Nov 2013 meeting was that printing of any Jan/Feb edition would require a detailed review after the Dec edition. A report has been drafted for the SMC & actions will be initiated shortly to address this.

As soon as the SMC have reviewed the report, a meeting will be scheduled with the Editor. Following this, a message outlining the findings & actions will be sent to all advertisers, members of the Association, registered dealers & also the auditors of the Association.

In terms of the printed Newsletter, we have received a number of emails & telephone calls from members, and including responses at the AGM, these have indicated a preference for the printed copy. A number of alternates are being considered, but AFAIK at no time was the Editor instructed to produce a 12pg version, so it is unclear where this comes from. The SMC have every intent to ensure continued production of the Newsletter, but given the historical performance against budget, the format/approach will need drastic change for this to remain viable.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Durban Deep

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 am

The Newsletter has always run on a split where the members pay for the postages and mailing at R8.00 per issue. I have always bettered this, despite constant interference from the SMC, and for the past 5 issues the costs to member's was reduced to R7.63. Advertising sales covers the cost of the newsletter and has always been open ended in that, the more advertising received, the more newsletter can be produced. In recent years the income from adverts has exceeded R200,000 per annum which gives us R33,334 per issue for production. We have even reached nearer R300,000 in previous years.
The membership, the postage's and the newsletter itself is a 'living thing in that it has variables and cannot work on a fixed budget, except for the unit cost to members for the only fixed cost and that is the postage's and mailing of R8.00 per member per issue. The average number of pages for the newsletter last year was 24 pages! The SMC in general and the Chairman in particular decided to 'save' members R100,000 on the newsletter so they cut the 'allowance' (income) for the production, from R200,000 to R100,000, not realizing that the advert sales income is not a 'cost' to members!
Anyone can work out that if you halve the money available to print, you halve the amount you can print! How the Chairman can possible not work out how the 12 pages comes about is for him to answer? To anyone halving your income must halve the amount you have to pay for products or services.
24 divided by 2 is 12. The fixed budget WAS exceeded by me but I more than covered that by increasing advert (income) sales so the members did not have to pay any more and, as can be seen above they actually saved. Most if not all publications of newsletters and magazines are subsidized by advert income and this has been the case with SAMAA News for many years, and started by me, until now, when the SMC in their wisdom decided to 'save' R100,000 by cutting income by R100,000 . Now the Editor, me, faces dismissal because I exceeded my sales budget by almost 200% and applied that increase to cover the increased production costs, but not increased costs to the membership.. The budget that was set and approved at the October AGM was apposed by me but I was instructed by the Chairman to 'shut up' because he was 'helping me'. Someone please explain to me how I and the members have been 'helped'?? If you want to see cost sheets then please email me at info@pjgroup.co.za and I will gladly supply them to you! A newsletter that is not subsided by advert income will cost the members all the production costs whereas at present it costs them nothing. Simply it will still cost them the R8.00 per member for the mailing but to this will have to be added all the costs that come with the production. I estimate that a non advert subsidized newsletter will in fact cost members about R12.00 to R14.00 per member per issue.
SteveJay
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by SteveJay » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:46 pm

I don't think you need to be defending yourself here Peter, many of us have marvelled for some time as to the level of commitment that you consistently throw at SAMAA News. I don't know how you find the time whilst trying to run a business as well. I have my view on how incompetence should be dealt with, but that is irrelevant here - lets hope some eyes are opened soon.

Between you and Bob, all the down and dirty gets done - thank you.

The rationale behind a national body cannot be questioned, it has much to offer including the security of our hobby – it is vital to the future of RC flying. I realize that there are other forms of aero modelling, but I see little risk to craft that are tethered or line controlled, they never go more than 30m from the modeller and pose no threat or risk to anyone.

What has been questioned many times and will be many times more, is what exactly is the SAMAA mission statement and are they (committee) headed the right way in the eyes of the modeller? Maybe there are other sources of funding, but the modellers are “the people” here, no modellers, no SAMAA, no income, no sponsors, no Lotto loot. (and no development)
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:30 am

Steve, thanks for your post. All I want and have ever wanted is for common sence to prevail but I have found it extemely difficult to deal with people who think that by reducing income you save?? How can you save, that which you do not have? And why are plain and simple questions not answered but then perhaps it takes time to dream up a suitable excuse? 'Ooops' I made a mistake would have sufficed but instead I was bombarded with unsubstantiated 'evidence' that I quickly proved to be wrong and now four and a half months have passed and no end is in sight other than the wish for me to 'go away' or quit and that I am a traitor for going into the open membership of SAMAA.
The constitution provides for a newsletter so if you want a copy of the constitution please email me and I will send a copy to you or, you can download it from the SAMAA Website just in case some people think that I would tamper with it as they think I have tampered with my sales figures. I am not having fun and all of us including me should learn from the saying - "Never argue with someone who does not know what they are talking about, as all you will do is annoy them and frustrate yourself". I have been publishing advert supported magazines and newspapers for more than 45 years so perhaps I do know a little about the process and that is how I built SAMAA News to a fully paid for, advert supported publication, except that is, for the mailing and postages which has been and still is a target for me, if I survive this mess.
I clearly do not understand basic sums where you halve your income and ‘save’ because you cannot spend that which you do not have. Teach this to your wife and save a fortune, cut her housekeeping in half and then blast her when you only get bread to eat! Instead of getting 24 loaves per month you only get 12 per month??? How does that work?? Please explain it to me??
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by danie.e » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Will dealers that paid fot the back page ads up front get a 2 month extension?
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am

Dear Danie, you paid for all the issues up to and including the January/February 2014 edition, which has not been published. I can assure you that if I have anything to do with it your next advert is paid for however, the Chairman says that you have not paid for your advert so it may never happen.?? As the Chairman personally went through a year’s worth of bank statements and could not find ANY dealer advert payments, one must suppose that the new ones too will have disappeared? You were in fact the first to pay to get the adverts up to coincide with the SAMAA Year End. So now you are in credit for one placement for 2014/2015. Please direct this question to the SAMAA Chairman, Lionel Brink and ask him if you have been favoured with the correct recording of your payment and if not, Where Is It and, send your proof of payment please as you are but one of 32 or 34 dealers who’s money has gone astray.
SteveJay
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by SteveJay » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Hier kom 'n ding!!

Return to “Ask SAMAA”