samaa news poll

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

when did your copy of SAMAA news arrive

1st week in december
6%
2nd week in december
28%
3rd week in december
28%
4th week in dedember
39%

Total votes: 18
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: samaa news poll

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:58 pm

danie.e wrote:Thing is, its our cost not SAMAA. If you open it, Vodacom, MtN, Telkom etc start eating your bandwidth. Ever notice how the MB's disappear on your data bundle when you open and read e-books etc.?
So as for myself, the SAMAA newsletter does not exist anymore.
Well, I viewed it but didnt read the monologues. Can get them on avcom anyway.

Not worth the paper it wasn't written on.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Durban Deep
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Danie is right. The figures I present are based on the number of address labels I get from SAMAA. The print run has always included at least 150 overs at no extra charge and in any event the charge to members is still only R8.00 per member per issue.. The extra copies are supplied for SAMAA to use to promote SAMAA at no cost to them. The costing figuers show the actual newsller posted, not newsletters printed.
The members contribution is only applied to the posted copies so even if 4,500 copies were printed, as was the case for the promotional copies supplied for the F3A World championships, SAMAA members still only pay for the number posted and they get the extra for free, covered by the advert sales. If I am building a villa in Nkandla to rival that of our esteemed president, I would be hard pressed to do it out of the little I make to cover the following. Yes I make a bit out of this but it costs the members ZERO.
My time collecting copy, fixing pictures and editing, selling all the adverts, doing all the artwork with software on a Mac Computer that combined cost in excess of R50,000, preparing all the costing and charge sheets for those adverts. Proof reading, pay for all the phone calls and emails and internet download time, checking the advert invoices prepared by SAMAA. Sending all the invoices out to the advertisers and then chasing payments as well. I oversee the printing, pass the proofs, collect the printed newsletter, fold them, open envelopes, apply labels, insert the newsletter into the envelopes. I do all this at no extra charge to the members and would like to point out that the price to members is fixed and applies only to the mailing and postages of R8.00 per member per issue.
If for instance you find a another sucker who will do all that I do for less, production wise, the only difference to the members will be that they may get an extra page or two in the newsletter?
The trick here is to sell more advertising,( not less as the SMC want), make the newsletter bigger by adding more pages and then applying a percentage of the increase sales to reduce the members contribution. The November December newsletter only cost members R4.36 each. and the SMC is moaning?
This whole thing is totally ridiculous and shows a monumental lack of knowledge about how to run advert subsidised newsletters, newspapers or magazines. Ask yourself this simple question? Why do the number of pages in the Citizen, or the Times, or the Sunday Times vary so much as the cover price remains the same??? The answer is more adverts means more pages at no extra cost to the buyers. Except in SAMAA where the brainlesstrust in the SMC have seen it right to chop the income?
The SMC in their wisdom have 'fixed' something that we not broken and now it is well and truly stuffed and it will cost members a whole lot more for a whole lot less newsletter!! Lets get a new SMC as soon as possible before more damage is done..
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by danie.e » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 am

Still waiting for information from SAMAA management i.r.o. my questions. I did get some input from PJ but nothing from SAMAA.

I would now also like to see copies of SAMAA bank statements and dealer invoices for the last two financial years. I also need a firm answer as to who was responsible for generating dealer adverts. PJ or SAMAA office? As a SAMAA member, I have the right to this information.

In the absence of this information, I am forced to accept PJ's statements as I have no proof of the alternative.

Once again, like I said before. If there is proof of irregularities, it must be dealt with by the proper authorities
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 am

Well, I received a paper copy of the magazine about a week ago and now I am really confused? If SAMAA is still going to spend the R32,000 (R8-00 postage x 4000 members) and on top of that lose all the advertisers then where is the saving :? What was the printing cost of this issue and what was the income from advertisers?

Also, if Bob did the setting up in his spare time it would be really interesting to find out how long it took him. From speaking to him I have been led to believe that he barely has time to meet his existing commitments let alone publish the newsletter. If there was a cost to it then once again I fail to understand the purpose of removing PJ.

I presume that the income from the "annuals" on the back page was reflected as income in the previous year and won't suddenly be presented as income a second time :? That only leaves the one or two 'new' ads.

Also, I suspect that SAMAA will reflect a 'saving' by only sending out 4 issues (or less) instead of 6. This could potentially save them R64,000 (or more) but we must guard against this type manipulation of the figures.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 pm

The dealer adverts are paid annually but have not conformed with the SAMAA financial year end. But the accounts department was supposed to take care of this as advance payments adverts should be provided for in the accounts as future costs. In the account, one year will show a huge profits in the adverts as 6 would have been paid for but only 4 were produced. The invoice were raised in July so they ran through to June the next year. The editor does not do the accounts so he has no control over what happens there. For the issues where the dealers adverts have ‘disappeared’ according to the SMC and Brink were invoiced out in July 2012 and carried through until June 2013. Anyone wanting copies please email me at info@pjgroup.co.za and I will gladly send them to you together with an age analysis showing that they were paid. In addition another 4 adverts were invoiced out in November so bring the adverts into line with the year end. Please note that the editor raises the invoices but they are invoiced out by SAMAA and the editor has nothing to do with the income as it goes into the SAMAA bank account in Nedbank. In the past I never really worried about the dealer adverts of R1,050 per annum as there was, (in the balance sheet) too much income in one year there would be too little in the next years but it all balances out in the end as the adverts run for 6 issues and it just continued like this.
As far as cutting the number of newsletters to 4 issues per year, this would save members on the postages and mailing but why should we do this as the newsletter is free to members other than the R8.00. Anyway and further to the poll no members has expressed concern as to spending R8.00 per issue delivered. This is R48.00 per annum and really is all that members get to see from SAMAA. The other services are important but are no visible.
I have produced the figures for the 5 issues earlier in this blog but just for argument sake here is the figure for the November December issue again and as agrred to by Lionel and SAMAA. 1) The overall cost of the issue was R66,000. 2) the advertising income was R49,050. 3) The printing and production was R50,863 and 4) the postage and mailing was R15,163. Total 2) + 3) +4) = R66,000 in round figures. Nett cost to members is R16,000 or R4.23 per member mailed. And the SMC is upset??? If the editor had stuck to the stupid budget from Brink this newsletter could not have been produced as production costs were R50,863 whereas the budget was for only R16,666 (R100,000 divided by 6).
I estimate that the latest issue produced ‘in-house’ and far cheaper than for free will cost members around 17.00 per member posted.
If the SMC in general and Brink in particular want to trash dealer adverts and trade exchanges there is nothing I can do about that and despite asking for more than 5 months, as to what happened to the dealer advert income, that I have proved came into SAMAA , through the age analysis forms, I have received nothing from SAMAA. So where is the money? Please come to your own conclusion as I have proof that R33,600 came in but the bank accounts do not show it, according to Brink.
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by danie.e » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:39 pm

"""""If the SMC in general and Brink in particular want to trash dealer adverts and trade exchanges there is nothing I can do about that and despite asking for more than 5 months, as to what happened to the dealer advert income, that I have proved came into SAMAA , through the age analysis forms, I have received nothing from SAMAA. So where is the money? Please come to your own conclusion as I have proof that R33,600 came in but the bank accounts do not show it, according to Brink."""""

This is a serious allegation. PJ, do you have proof that this money was paid to SAMAA or do you have proof that Invoices for that amount was issued?? - there is a big difference.

I still wish to receive copies of the SAMAA bank statements for the last two financial years
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Danie, these are serious allegations as they go both ways. The first is that I have been falsifying the sales figures and the second is that Lionel has not told the truth about the dealer adverts by telling us all that he went through all the statements and could not find even one payment so obviously I must have falsified the sales.
Here is my proof that I am not at fault and despite my many attempts to get this matter rectified it has been simply ignored or left unattended and Lionel’s figures show that he still believes that the dealer adverts were falsified although he not said as much, but what other conclusion can there be? . How do you delete payments from Nedbank Bank Statements? I would be interested in finding out how to do that as I feel it is impossible.

1. I have copies of all the invoices that were prepared by SAMAA, sent to me to check and then forwarded onto the dealers , including you.
2. Subsequently I received and age analysis in July 2012 which listed all the sales of the dealer adverts. August 12012 and so on, from SAMAA accounts that showed the adverts listed in the age analysis but getting fewer and fewer as they were paid.
3. I have a copy of an age analysis dated November 2012 that shows that most the dealer adverts had dropped off the age analysis as they had been paid. What other reason for them being dropped off the analysis can there be? I do not go into the SAMAA offices and fiddle with the accounts and would not know where to start in any case!! By early 2013 there were none left on the schedule, which again I say, were not prepared by me so they must have been paid to SAMAA and not to anyone else.
4. If they have subsequently 'disappeared' from SAMAA accounts, where did they go. It is a matter of some R33,600 so WHERE IS IT?
5. I know where it is!! It is still in the books and still in the bank but Lionel did not see it, or did he purposely not see it as he has had nearly 6 months now to revised the bank statements.
6. Nearly six month ago I suggested that Lionel was mistaken but he and the SMC have done nothing other than to continue to blame me.
7. Any SAMAA member needing copies of all tje above need only ask and I will forward them to you.
8. Finally how can the dealer advert sales be recorded in the monthly or daily age analysis forms if they never occurred and PJ cooked the books?
Danie I have email you all of the dicuments but I do not rmeber if I senf you the orginal invoices, raised by SAMAA accounts department but as they are listed on the age analysis forms that I have forwared to you they should not be need but in any event I will send them to you today.
No this matter has been stinking for 6 months and it has to be deodorised and soon.

Peter Joffe
PJ's and Camera Press
011 795 4064 *084 794 9188
Fax 086 616 1548. Info@pjgroup.co.za
P.O. Box 73999, Fairland 2030
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:04 pm

To all the SAMAA members I wish to say a few things in my defence that needs to be said and should be born in mind for the future. Please think of these things when you elect a new SMC. We need people who listen to their peers and who do not make decisions on subjects about which they know nothing – that is why we have a board with each person doing something’s that they are good at. The chairman directs but in this SMC he instructs without checking with those with the knowledge.
1. I have disproved all the allegations made against me by the SAMAA SMC in general and Lionel Brink in particular.
2. I did not rig the dealer advert income as suggested by the Brink SMC.
3. Trade Exchanges were accepted long before Brink’s time in the SMC and I cleared the most recent one, African Pilot with Bob Skinner and addressed it to the entire SMC. The value of this for the period of my ‘inquisition’ was R4,000, but for the future it was R24,000 per annum, all lost by now I would suspect.
4. The Trade exchanges involve constant communication with the participants as they change their adverts every issue and always need reminding of the need for a new advert.
5. Lionel Brink has recently ‘allowed’ trade exchanges but I would suggest that the transactions were never recorded as if they were, my figures would tie in with the audit figures unless of course if the dealer advert income has been misappropriated by someone in the SMC?
6. My adverts sales sheets have always been supplied to the SMC for both invoicing and approval purposes, before publication whent ahead, so any accounting ‘irregularities’ are the fault of the bookkeeper and the SMC and have nothing to do with me. My figures are accurate and I have proved them time and again, but as Danie Esterhuizen says, he has asked questions of the SMC and he too gets no answers from them as they are totally incompetent.
7. My questions and objections to the ridiculous budget reduction, on the sales and production side from R200,000 to R100,000 remain unanswered as I would suspect that the SMC have now realised that by cutting income you do not ‘save’ anything and do, in fact cut the newsletter in half from 24 pages to 12 pages but Lionel Brink thinks that ½ this income can buy even more pages, he says even up to 32 pages. This is adequately demonstrated by the latest SAMAA News that will exceed the bughet by a large margin at a cost tio the members as there were few adverts sold to cover any costs..
8. I was privileged to have my 2 beautiful granddaughters with me, from Australia (8 and 10 years of age) and I asked them a question that I told them could not be answered in a club that I was a member of. I asked them as follows. “If you can buy 24 sweets for R20 then how many sweets can you get for R10.00”? The 8 year old answered, “Oh granddad don’t be silly you can only get 12 sweets for R10.00”. Not so in the SAMAA SMC as there you can get 32 sweets.
9. I wonder how many of you are aware that I built the newsletter up to what it was, a simple black and white 8 or less page publication, which was fully paid for by the members? And now the SMC have destroyed it, to ‘save ‘money and presumably because the editor was rigging the sales figures?
10. My average sales for the past 4 years is R1,039,690.00 or R256,000 per calendar year. This is equal to one full year’s contribution for the all members by means for their subscription, and of course this money is not part of the members subscription, it is totally from advertisers and costs the members NOTHING, but the SMC wants to save half of nothing?? Zero divided by 2 is still zero.
11. For this I have been unceremoniously fired as the editor without even the courtesy of an official notification, and of course the huge contribution to the cash flow of SAMAA that I am responsible for, has been trashed by people who do not know what they are doing.
12. With the new cost saving budget of the ‘Brains Trust’ that is the present Brink SMC they now want R100,000 per annum instead of the historic figure of R256,000.
13. In 6 months of trying to get them to justify this madness I still await an answer. How can you save something that you do not have??
I can only hope that with the new elections coming up on the 8th of May 2014 will usher in an SMC that will listen to the voices of experience and reason, instead of adopting their present attitude of outright dictatorship – right or wrong and also do the simple maths that even an 8 year old finds easy.
See you all at the Special general Meeting on the 8th of May and let us hope that sanity will prevail.
And yes to Danie, I do sell and update the dealer adverts all the time.
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by cabeng » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Interesting indeed , Would like to hear the other sides of the story :?
Well donr though PJ on improving the SAMAA news to what it has become , huge improvement from years gone by =D>
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
Jase
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Jase » Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm

While doing a search on Avcom I came across this. Was this ever sorted out and was the missing money ever found?

Return to “Ask SAMAA”