Who is on the SAMAA Committee?

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Brews
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Barnstormers
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Who is on the SAMAA Committee?

Unread post by Mike Brews » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:59 pm

AS the SAMAA Magazine has not been received, I would very much like to know who is actually on the SAMAA executive committee as present. Also of interest would be to know who are the current SIG committee members?

Kind regards

Mike Brews
SAMAA 9761
082 348 7404
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Who is on the SAMAA Committee?

Unread post by cabeng » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:08 am

http://www.samaa.co.za:89/
all you need is here , Click the "Management committee " on the left hand side

http://www.samaa.co.za:89/Web_BrowseSAMAAManagement
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
CECONITE
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: FHERF

Unread post by CECONITE » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Wow - Aeroclub members are also on the committee? I think not! List is totally outdated and incorrect as usual! Mike asked for the current stuation - if possible, please. :D :D :D
Aviation nut.
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi,

The complete list can be found at : https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5jgMFW ... edit?pli=1 and it is on the last page.

Regards
I just wanna fly
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:28 am

Hi Lionel,

While looking at the SAMAA web pages, I did not find your document under the minutes of committee meetings. In fact, if the web site is to be believed, there were no committe meetings held in 2013 as the last published minutes are dated July 2012 and the last AGM minutes are dated 2008.
The Organogram is dated 2008. There is no financial statement nor tally of what the 2014 budget is. And worst of all, today is the 8th of March and I have not received the Jan-Feb News Letter. Surely the eVersion could be published online on the SAMAA site.
I did read some interesting figures about the News Letter in that the print run is for 4200 and that the SAMAA database has some 10000 recorded names but only about 4000 paid up members. Even if half the number is deceased, that leaves 3000 flying members who are:
a) not paying subs
b) flying at fields not registered with SAMAA
c) are so disgruntled with SAMAA that they are flying during the week at the open clubs but not being members of that same club.

I know of at least 4 pilots that do this as they could just not be bothered with Club and SAMAA politics

Kind regards
Mike Brews
082 358 7404
brews.mike@gmail.com
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Mike,

I am not sure what document you are referring to, the link I published below provides access to the Dec 2013 SAMAA Newsletter & the backpage is the full list of SMC members as requested n this thread?

As already stated on AVCOM, the SAMAA Newsletter has been delayed due to severe cost overruns - we will produce & print a newsletter shortly. This will include a communication on the factual reasons for this delay & the actions the SMC have taken as a result. We have not been able to publish anything regarding this matter as yet, since the facts had to be investigated first, but we have completed the indepth investigation phase & are close to decision, following which we will publish an update.

The membership count is indeed interesting - for the past 8 - 12 years we have experienced a churn of approx 20%-25% (i.e. numbers leaving/joining SAMAA). It is particularly poignant that the vast majority of "leavers" are first year joiners/newbies - suggesting perhaps that the hobby was not for them, or that WE ALL simply did not do enough to make them feel welcome. These numbers have been aligned with AeroClub who confirm similar levels of attrition / churn in the full size aviation which is even more interesting given their considerably greater investment.

Yes, the Webpages are out of date in places. We are busy with a new webpage design & this needs to see the light soon. I understand that the new approach uses a "database" to drive updates to the webpage, so we do not need to rely on a web administrator or the likes, who also have day jobs. I have called out for assistance (paid) on this (Avcom, SARFLY & the Newsletter) to members, yet have been underwhelmed by the complete lack of response to date? Perhaps no-one is willing to take on the role because of the volume of criticism targeted at individuals who attempt to assist: its far easier to sit in an armchair & criticise all & sundry from the safety of a keyboard, but sadly we rarely witness the guts & determination it takes to assist clubs, committees & the SAMAA.

In terms of the club & SAMAA politics, all I can say is that is so sad! Whilst the vast majority of people in clubs & SAMAA sincerely try to assist, there will always be one or two that seem to sour the experience. Of course, you can choose to listen to those individuals, or actually look at the majority who simply get on enjoying themselves in the hobby, relatively unencumbered by hassles from outside organisations, & freedom to fly without excessive regulations at our registered sites etc. The choice remains with the individual - choose the lonely path of unhappiness out of the hobby, or enjoy the hobby together with like minded friends & acquaintances.

Lionel
I just wanna fly
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi Mike,

One more point to make: whilst we cannot dictate how individual clubs are managed, can you please identify specific details of the "SAMAA politics" you referred to. In the past the SAMAA have openly addressed issues raised, but I find it difficult to action heresay & rumours.

If you are concerned about privacy, then feel free to send me an email, PM or even call me about it.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Fri May 09, 2014 12:18 am

This evening at a Special General Meeting of SAMAA, a new management committee was elected. I will get Bob to post their names and contact details.
I would request that all members get behind the committee and let us together bring about meaningful change in the way we do things in our hobby.
I will start off by undertaking to visit as many clubs as I can and see how you the members want your concerns addressed. You are all welcome to contact me, my contact details are below.

Let's make it happen.

Kind regards
Mike Brews
brews.mike@gmail.com
082 358 7404
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Isn't it usual to elect a committee at the AGM?
samaa_agm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Ok, my bad. The smc is elected for two years.

Nevertheless, the constitution makes for interesting reading.
21. Special General Meeting
a) A Special general Meeting shall only be convened if the motion calling for such a meeting has been submitted in writing to the Chairman of the Management Committee, is accompanied by a brief description of the matter to be discussed and has been signed by at least 100 (one hundred) members in good standing with the Association.
b) The same requirements which apply to an Annual General Meeting in respect of Notice to members of such a meeting, will mutatis mutandis apply to the calling of a Special general Meeting.
c) A Special General Meeting shall be called within two calendar months from receipt of a motion complying with the requirements for such a request. The venue of the Special general Meeting shall be arranged in such a manner that it is accessible to a reasonable representation of members of the Association
d) The resolution of such a Special General Meeting must be ratified by the members of the Association by means of the voting process before such resolutions can be implemented
100 members signed the motion :shock: How many actually attended 8-[

What is also interesting is that you can't just elect new smc members. People who stood for election at the last elections are first in line. Wonder if there were any :?
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org

Return to “Ask SAMAA”