SAMAA News and Views

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Brews
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Barnstormers
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

SAMAA News and Views

Unread post by Mike Brews » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi to all Rc Pilots,

So we had our 1st SAMAA committee meeting with the new SMC (SAMAA Management Committee) on Thursday 29 June 2014.
Report back

1. ICASA has admitted to making a mistake about the 53/54 MHz channels and they recognise that they are legitimate RC Flying Model frequencies. So all who still have these frequencies on their radios, off to the mountain and have fun. US 2.4 geeks will stick to the old method of flying.
2. I can report that after a forensic audit of last year's World Champs, the actual loss is R41K. Always with the agreement with the SIGS to cover this loss over time, SAMAA has settled the account and we move on.
3. SAMAA FlyIn: OK so here I am looking for members ideas. The general opinion is that we gather ideas and then present a game plan for consideration. This FlyIn could be for all disciplines at one meeting, or a number of FlyIn's with a smaller amount of SIGS doing the demonstrations. It is after all your and my association so bring out the ideas.
4. The matter of the old news magazine is now with the Aero Club of SA. The previous editor has chosen this path so until such time as the Aero Club adjudicates on the matter, the will be no debate on this forum at all. Please consider that this matter is now out of our hands until a decision is forthcoming from the Aero Club.
5. News Magazine: We are going to hold a membership wide poll on a printed copy posted to each member or an e-copy being made on the web site for down load. Please do not get us wrong, this is a poll so test what the membership really wants when it comes to the News Magazine. When this poll takes place, please do vote as that will give the SMC the guidance as to the decision it will take.
6. Lastly, I have been given the privilege to be able to bring SAMAA news and views to all of you on AvCom. I really appeal to all to keep it open and fruitful with all the norms of decorum that we afford each other. Robust debate is not ruled out, but, any derogatory statements, demeaning of another's view point will just get deleted without any recourse. I have given my word to the SMC that I will treat this forum with respect and factual response. Please let us all keep it that way.

Happy flying out there, let's keep it safe,

Kind regards
Mike Brews
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
Gary Lees
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: SAMAA News and Views

Unread post by Gary Lees » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi Mike,
I am so glad that you are on the SMC and good luck to all the new committee members.

My thoughts on the Flyin: Lets get as many disciplines involved as possible with demonstrations, but we must also include the non-competitive pilots who have the skills to WOW the crowds. There are many guys out there who do great, safe displays, but are not part of the SIGs, they are SAMAA members and we must include them in the SAMAA show.
Please lets have this at a club that will grab the opportunity of assisting SAMAA fund raise, but they must also be given the opportunity to receive a portion of the profits.
I will gladly offer my services as commentator at these clubs, but not at the venue last used.
Should you need my assistance in the organising of the event, please let me know.
Regards
Gary Lees
Roger
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 301 times

Unread post by Roger » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi Mike.

Looks like you got your hands full, but direction is looking good.

A suggestion that may be worth some consideration on the electronic vs printed magazine is to offer the member a choice and that their subs reflect that choice. Ok, our club has only got around 300 members whereas SAMAA considerably more but I believe still a manageable option for SAMAA.

What we did was offer our 'electronic choice' members a discount on their subs in line with our savings achieved in sending them electronic copy. After about 4 years, the printed members were in the minority down to less than 1% and today I don't think we send any printed copy. We found no grumbles as everybody was given the free choice.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Skybound,
We did the same at the camera club. Now days we get the monthly news letter by email and at the monthly meeting there are 10 printed copies. First come first take. My personal opinion is to email a copy to each member and make a certain number of copies available at the LHS for give aways to those interested in the hobby. Could also have copies available at the clubs.

Happy flying and keep it same out there

Kind regards
Mike Brews :evil:
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
NicGryskop
Preflighting

Unread post by NicGryskop » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi SMC,
Please keep in mind...Communication is the all or nothing of any organisation....Keep it in the open and you ouks will have our blessings...!!!
Nic
Roger
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Roger » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:18 pm

You are correct Nic. The upside to electronic is that you may find the newsletter being forwarded to non members which is IMHO 'free' marketing for your organisation.
deonnel
Rolling
Closest Airfield: TRMC

Unread post by deonnel » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:05 am

I fully agree Skybound, thus the quality of the e-publication needs to be very good to be appealing to non-moddelers or rather soon to be moddelers. What I mean by very good, the publication needs to sell the things we expiereience as a family, also do not forget the national teams and competitions.
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit

Unread post by Klaas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Ek hou ook van die elektroniese nuusbrief idee. Soos gesê, dit kan makliker na nie-lede versprei word en op rekord gehou word. SAMAA kan steeds advertensie ruimte verkoop wat dan ook deur nie-lede gesien word. Voordele is baie.
DC→AC™ Ω ♪♫♪ Hoë Spanning ♫♪♫ ℅ Elektries Onbeperk Δ → ∞ Voorsprong deur tegnologie ☼ №① ... ҉. ∞∞∞∞. ҉
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi Everyone

I have just read the next SAMAA News. In it there is a survey question on the matter of a Printed SAMAA News or an Electronic version. Please complete and do not forget your SAMAA number. Only votes with your SAMAA number will count.

Kind regards

Mike :twisted:
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
In The Haze
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Brakkies
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by In The Haze » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 am

Electronic version is fine but I would really like to print it out or at least save it somehow for reading later.

How is that done....?

Trying to read the latest one on a computer monitor is a challenge to say the least
ITH
------------------------------
I guess that flirting with death sometimes leads to a date - ITH
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi In The Haze,

Most electronic versions are in the PDF format and are easily printed on a home printer. You can also save the file to its own folder, say SAMAA News. In this folder you would save each issue. You can print the whole file or just certain pages. My advice would be to print in Black & White as colour cartridges are too expensive even if you refill them.

When and if the time comes, by your location, we are neighbors so we could get together and I will talk you through the process.

Kind regards
Mike :twisted:
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
In The Haze
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by In The Haze » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:19 am

As usual great detailed response from Bob. I'll rather wait for my copy in the post, I don't do the tablet thing. :?
I fully understand the issue…I too still have difficulty navigating around, especially since one does not do it on a daily basis. I suppose it’s like most things…do it regularly and it may become easier!

The way that issuu publishes it, has several options for a reader: if you go to the activity/task bar at the bottom, click on the diagonal arrows icon…this enlarges the page/s to full screen size, and places the activity/task bar at the top. From the left: the round-button slider allows one to increase the page size. The little hand icon allows you to move the page to what you want to see. The two arrows allows for viewing the previous or next pages. The spyglass-thingy does nothing for me, except move the taskbar to the bottom again. The next icon allows you to view a single page, or a double page spread. The arrow coming out of the page allows linking to several of the social media pages, or to send an e-mail link to a friend.

All nice…but I have forgotten how to print! When I showed Johan Sieling a few weeks ago, I was able to print a specific page…now I cannot find the option! I’ll let you know once I’ve found it.
ITH
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne
Roger
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand

Unread post by Roger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 am

Agree the ISSU option that is currently used is not the friendliest, especially as a first stab at an electronic format. As suggested by Mike above, a simple pdf would be the best that can be mailed out.
In The Haze
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by In The Haze » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:06 am

Skybound wrote:Agree the ISSU option that is currently used is not the friendliest, especially as a first stab at an electronic format. As suggested by Mike above, a simple pdf would be the best that can be mailed out.
Pdf would be perfect..... 8)
ITH
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by clivem » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:09 pm

simple pdf would be awesome :D

its painful the way it is now
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za - South Africa
https://www.AerobatX.co.uk - UK

Return to “Ask SAMAA”