SAMAA News and Views

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: SAMAA News and Views

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Mike Brews wrote:Daar is niks om weg te steek nie. Die volgende SMC vergaardering is 24 July. Ek persoonlik wil ook weet waar die uitgawes gaan en dit sal bespreek word. Tot ek self weet, kan ek nie komentaar lewe nie. Al wat ek vra is dat daar nie bespiegling te vore kom voor al die feite op die tafel is nie.

Groete

Mike
Thanks Mike.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 246 times

Unread post by Roger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 am

danie.e wrote:Aggenee man, ek kan nie my dem pc na die preemie dra elke keer as ek moet gaan nie. Ek verkies die harde kopie.

Daar is baie ou toppies wat nie met rekenaars werk nie en derhalwe sien julle nie hulle stem nie.

Nie almal is rekenaar vaardig nie al is dit 2014.

Ek betaal ten duurste vir MB's data en wil dit nie vermors op 'n dokument waarvan ek vir 60% van die inhoud nie belang stel nie.

Stuur vir my 'n boek wat ek in die kar kan lees of by Die kombuistafel terwyl ek besig is om ontbyt te eet ens ens ens ens.........

As dit 'n paar rand duurder is, " so be it" - ek verkies die gedrukte medium
A very valid point Danie, and with our 58 year old club, we have lots of mature individuals in our club, so was a huge concern. This was one of the reasons we offered the two alternatives, but as time passed and by about year 5 of the electronic offerings even these folk began to request the electronic version in lieu of paper based. I think we were down to about 10 copies of posted copies before we ceased the posted option.
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
In The Haze
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Brakkies
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by In The Haze » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 am

Well there have been 2 issues this year so far. Due to the postal strike (I hear there is one on the go) there have been no hard copies received through the postal system.

Without the ability to print out or download the electronic ones, I am sure the advertisers are ecstatic................... :evil:
ITH
------------------------------
I guess that flirting with death sometimes leads to a date - ITH
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 am

In The Haze wrote:Well there have been 2 issues this year so far. Due to the postal strike (I hear there is one on the go) there have been no hard copies received through the postal system.

Without the ability to print out or download the electronic ones, I am sure the advertisers are ecstatic................... :evil:
I've received my postal versions so the costs HAVE been incurred.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
In The Haze
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Brakkies
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by In The Haze » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Ok so following a call from Mr X, I followed his instructions to register:

http://issuu.com/samaanews/docs/samaa_n ... for_2014/1

Requires an e-mail address and password.

Once logged in was able to download the 2 magazines as a PDF. Can now print them and read them at leisure.

Try it, it works................
ITH
------------------------------
I guess that flirting with death sometimes leads to a date - ITH
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clivem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:46 pm

In The Haze wrote:Well there have been 2 issues this year so far. Due to the postal strike (I hear there is one on the go) there have been no hard copies received through the postal system.

\
its even more fun getting letters for overdue payments for ads not even requested.............with the current debacle i can't see any benefit in advertising in the mag. quite frankly have no idea why anyone would or does.
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:40 pm

clivem wrote:
its even more fun getting letters for overdue payments for ads not even requested.............with the current debacle i can't see any benefit in advertising in the mag. quite frankly have no idea why anyone would or does.
Are you talking about the last two issues or last year?
Mike Brews
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Barnstormers
Has liked: 0

Unread post by Mike Brews » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14 pm

If its any consultation, I live 15 km from the SAMAA office and I only have the mag because I dropped in to see how Bob is doing after his flu. Via the Postal system nada.
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clivem » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 am

tanglefoot wrote:
clivem wrote:
Are you talking about the last two issues or last year?
both
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Mike Brews wrote:Daar is niks om weg te steek nie. Die volgende SMC vergaardering is 24 July. Ek persoonlik wil ook weet waar die uitgawes gaan en dit sal bespreek word. Tot ek self weet, kan ek nie komentaar lewe nie. Al wat ek vra is dat daar nie bespiegling te vore kom voor al die feite op die tafel is nie.

Groete

Mike
Awfully quiet out there :? How long before we can start speculating again 8-[
Gary Lees
Lining Up - unmanned
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Gary Lees » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:49 pm

Speculate away :D
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by tanglefoot » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Gary Lees wrote:Speculate away :D
Thanks Gary,

I think that SAMAA have egg on their face. They have harmed the reputation of a valuable samaa member and brought the organisation into disrepute.

The new smc have the opportunity to suck up what is left of their pride and apologise to Peter Joffe and reappoint him as editor. They also should take the opportunity to come clean on the recent changes to the smc and discussions with aero club.

You can only sweep so much dirt under the carpet without creating an unsightly mountain of................

The alternative is that we continue hiding the real state of affairs until they are forgotten. A bit like the Nigerian girls that were abducted by boko haram not so long ago.

People have made mistakes. They are not always around to apologise but the organisation should take the high road and apologise and make good on their behalf.
Mike Brews
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Barnstormers

Unread post by Mike Brews » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 am

Hi Guys
As previously stated, there is nothing to hide. At the last committee meeting, this matter was discussed and until such time as the Aero Club has addressed this matter, the SMC is not at liberty to discuss the matter in open forum. In issue 2 of the SAMAA news letter, Marthinus addressed this matter in his chairman's report.

I am aware that there has been a meeting between Peter and the Aero Club, the result of that meeting is still to be disclosed to the SMC. So until the SMC has the letter from Aero Club setting out their findings, we have nothing further to add to a long and drawn out matter.

Kind regards
Mike Brews
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
Peter Joffe
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Durban Deep

Unread post by Peter Joffe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:39 pm

In the past SAMAA Members got their newsletters as part of their subscriptions. Advertising covered all the costs of the editor, adverts sales and printing so essentially it was free. Members paid toward the budget for mailing and portages of R8.00 per member per issue. As you have seen in the first two issues of 2014 there is little or no advertising at all so now you are asked to select between an Ezine and what was once a free newsletter totally supported by advert sales.
Let’s look at the two alternatives that are now being offered, (without the facts being presented to us by the SMC) as follows:-
In the good old days before the 'cost savings' instigated by the SAMAA SMC, the price was R8.00 per member for a 24 pager delivered to your door.
Here now are the new costs. 1) Bob Skinner is a paid employee of SAMAA and as such he gets R250,000 odd per annum plus other benefits. From having done the newsletter for many years I would say that conservatively it takes 10 days to put the publication together and prepare it for printing, adverts sales would take up much more time. That means that SAMAA has editorial costs of say R10,000.
Then there is the cost to print 500 copies for promotions and for members wishing to have a hard copy and that will be another R10,000 Total now R20,000.
The cost to email all the members with the Ezine is about R500. So far we have R20,500.00. Divided this by 3800 members and we have R5.40 per member.
Now the poor member has to download the newsletter every time he wants to read it so add R5.00 for that (each time) (which is too little). This is now R10,40 per member.
I am sure that you all know that the costs of ink jet or laser printing is not cheap but as I do not have the figures for that I got a quote from Minute Print to print 1 off of a 24 pager, A4 in colour and the price was R60.35 each plus Vat but let’s halve it for the sake of this illustration and the fact that you probably do not know what it costs you to print these things out anyway,, and make it R30.00. Total now is R40.40 per member per issue whereas the price with advert subsidies is R8.00 per issue per member.
So here is the choice that you are being asked to make. 1) Go back to the way it was and pay for a 24 pager in colour, delivered to your door and that you can refer to at any time at a cost of R8.00 or go to the new 'cost saving' method and pay R40.40 per issue per member if you print a copy yourself or R10.40 if you don't have a hard copy. In 2013 you paid R8.00 per member per issue for the postages and mailing and now you are going to have to pay a whole lot more or over 400% more. What a hard choice to make??
In summary. 1) Pay R10.40 and get to read the newsletter once.
2) Pay R40.40 and get to have your own hard copy printed from your own printer.
3) Pay R8.00 and have a high quality newsletter delivered to your door that you can refer to as often as you like BUT, this option is subject to advertisers becoming interested again as extensive damage has been done to them since Christmas 2013 and if you can find someone to do all the work at very low reward?
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit

Unread post by Klaas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Uitgawe 2 van 2014 was die beste SAMAA nuus in 'n lang tyd met interessante nuus oor wat aangaan. Ek sal verkies om 'n 10 bladsy tydskrif te hê met alles RC nuus daarin as 'n 24 bladsy tydskrif met 5 bladsye RC nuus en die res advertensies wat al reeds die afgelope jaar net so herhaal is. Buitendien, die laaste uitgawe het nie "geen" advertensies ingehad nie, daar was wel advertensies.

Ek is verseker dat die elektroniese weergawe in gewone PDF sal wees wat op enige rekenaar gestoor kan word, so dit sal beslis nie nodig wees om dit elke keer van die net af te laai nie. En dit kos nie R5 om af te laai nie, miskien 50c as dit so baie is. Om hier met fiktiewe syfers rond te speel maak nie sin nie. As ek dit reeds op my rekenaar het sal dit nie nodig wees om te druk nie, vir wat? Ek kan dit van die skerm af lees soos ek baie ander boeke en inligting lees. En om Minute Print se individuele druk koste te vergelyk maak in elk geval nie sin nie, al halveer jy dit.

Verder, om Bob se vergoeding hier om openbare forum te bespreek is nie goeie maniere nie. Die inligting is vir SAMAA lede beskikbaar maar nie algehele openbare inligting nie.
Last edited by Klaas on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC→AC™ Ω ♪♫♪ Hoë Spanning ♫♪♫ ℅ Elektries Onbeperk Δ → ∞ Voorsprong deur tegnologie ☼ №① ... ҉. ∞∞∞∞. ҉

Return to “Ask SAMAA”