What is SAMAA doing about lifting lockdown restrictions?

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

FHV
Engine full power confirmed
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

What is SAMAA doing about lifting lockdown restrictions?

Unread post by FHV » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:55 am

As a loyal fee paying SAMAA member I would really like to know what SAMAA , who are supposed to represent my interests, are doing about lobbying government to lift the restrictions on RC flying.

As I understand it full size aviation is opened up but even though our former chairman is now vice chairman of the Aeroclub, we hear nothing . Ever heard the term no taxation without representation ? Come on guys ! Do the job you were elected to do!

Don't send me flowery emails promising a wonderful SAMAA News edition, tell me what you're doing to get us all back in the air!

Just this morning I read on a jet forum that there is dissent brewing and talk of cancelling SAMAA membership. That would be disasterous to say the least because so far the pros of being a SAMAA member (as flawed as it is) have far outweighed the cons, but continued inaction will surely lead to an ever increasing exodus.

Respectfully
Francois Viljoen
SAMAA6289 (20 years+)
Fixed wing instructor and Vlamgat
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 344 times

Re: What is SAMAA doing about lifting lockdown restrictions?

Unread post by heisan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:58 am

FHV wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:55 am
As I understand it full size aviation is opened up...
Just a clarification - no recreational full size aviation is allowed at the moment - only commercial and business related flying.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by danie.e » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:46 pm

I have spoken to Bob Skinner earlier this week and they are awaiting response from Civil Aviation Authorities. Bob assured me that they have been trying to pressurize authorities since the start of stage four but so far no results.
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
FHV

Unread post by FHV » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate that you took the effort. Would be nice to get an occasional email update from SAMAA telling all members where we stand. Maybe this will encourage SAMAA to do to that.
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Trevorn » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:47 pm

As critical as I am sometimes towards SAMAA, there is not much they can do about lockdown restrictions.

Flying RC models is in the same category as social sports. They are not allowed. Professional sports yes, but not social sports.

Regarding special exemption, well on what grounds? There are no compelling reasons why RC flying should be treated differently to any other social activity where people come in contact with eachother.
FHV

Unread post by FHV » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:51 am

Of the three social activities I regularly play ; golf, tennis and rc flying, rc flying is the only one I don't hear anything about from my representatives (SAMAA)regularly about the lobbying and communication with the minister of sport.

It's pretty clear by now that the government is fixated on strongman power politics with regards to lockdown, but if our voices are not raised at ministerial level by our reps then someone's not doing their job.

As to the comment about why make exceptions; because that's what we hope intelligent enlightened people will do; look at the facts and asses the risks ,weigh them up against civil liberties and make a decision on a case by case basis instead of a one rule fits all approach . RC flying very clearly is able to be performed by sensible pilots applying sensible social distancing rules without BIG brother telling us we're too stupid to know what's good for us.

By the way if you think rc pilots are hard done by spare a thought for the 125 000 golfers who are being blocked by governmental intransigence. That is a loss to the economy of at least 100 million a month from a sport that is just about the most social distanced there is. A third of golf clubs are technically now bankrupt and will probably close down - a mirror of our attrociuosly mismanaged economy.
These users liked the author FHV for the post:
Mouser
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Trevorn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:52 am

FHV wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:51 am

As to the comment about why make exceptions; because that's what we hope intelligent enlightened people will do; look at the facts and asses the risks ,weigh them up against civil liberties and make a decision on a case by case basis instead of a one rule fits all approach . RC flying very clearly is able to be performed by sensible pilots applying sensible social distancing rules without BIG brother telling us we're too stupid to know what's good for us.
So you motivation is based on you hoping the hobby is made up of intelligent and enlightened people?

Unfortunately that does not present a compelling argument at all. Even on a case by case basis I can see no reason for RC flying to be granted an exemption. Even though it is possible to partake in rc flying while maintaing proper social distancing, that is no guarantee it will be like that. The whole aim of a lockdown is to reduce the risk exposure. Rc flying is just not that important to justify an exemption.

If you open up rc flying (or golf, tennis, and so one) you have to open up all non contact social activities. That by it's very nature and numbers will accelerate the spread of Covert 19. There are many other sectors of the economy that are still closed that present a greater risk to the livelihoods of those involved that our hobby. Film industry, hospitality and so on.

Just because a decision or ruling does not suit us, does not mean it is a baseless one. Sometimes we have to accept things we dont like.

Furthermore, given SAMAA's limited resources why squander them engaging the government on a issue you will not win, and is temporary in nature?

I would far rather SAMAA focused its limited resources on getting the regulations on large models propagated as that is something it stands a chance at and is long term in nature.

Having said all that SAMAA is not good at communication at all. If they had a monthly report they emailed to all members they could have addressed the situation. Then you would not have started this thread on the first place. Also a half page monthly report would take maybe an hour to compile and would add more visibility to its members giving them more acceptance within the rc community.
FHV

Unread post by FHV » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:15 pm

Sorry, my mistake.
wimares
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by wimares » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:53 pm

Fishing, hunting as well as self-drive visits to game reserves and national parks are permitted under lockdown Level 3, the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries said on Monday.

"All fishing, including recreational fishing, is permitted with the exception of charter fishing," Environment, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Barbara Creecy confirmed in a statement.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... 3-20200601

RC flying not recreational?
SAMAA, your guidance and feedback is in dire need here please.
mnmodels
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAOH
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by mnmodels » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53 pm

[/quote]
Having said all that SAMAA is not good at communication at all. If they had a monthly report they emailed to all members they could have addressed the situation. Then you would not have started this thread on the first place. Also a half page monthly report would take maybe an hour to compile and would add more visibility to its members giving them more acceptance within the rc community.
[/quote]

And herein lays the crux of the matter!

Why apologise Francois? You did nothing wrong! In fact this is the problem with our nation at this moment. We are so use to bad service that we even apologise if we are looking for answers.

I notice that Danie e is answering all questions raised about SAMAA. So maybe he knows more about the situation than the rest of us. In fact the only person that replies to e-mails is Bob. And if you look at the structure of SAMAA according to the constitution, it seems that there are multiple personnel driving this organisation.

So maybe a relevant question would be: Maybe SAMAA is “top heavy”? Just a basic observation considering the lack of report back.
Or maybe it is the fact that the X chairman of SAMAA is now seated on the AeroClub committee. So SAMAA chairman see no use to reply to its members? I do not know.

But according to the constitution, the chairman and the committee serves the paying members. And the no1 objective of the constitution is to promote the hobby. Maybe doing nothing and leaving it up to someone else is the answer?

If the chairman have reported and showed its members that they are serious and are willing to fight for our rights, I for one will have no problem with SAMAA. After all there is just so much you can do.

On TV we see governments giving feedback day in and day out to its citizens. The no 1 Municipality in South Africa ,Mossel Bay, gives weekly feedback to all tax payers regarding the situation in town. This is what we expect from organizations that are serving its members. Maybe it is asking too much?

I am a member of the AeroClub. So I get all the feedback. But most of the SAMAA members are not. So they are blinded. They see day by day other recreational organizations open up. Like RC Cars. But the poor RC flyer is discriminated against because he/she is associated with SAMAA.

Dannie e is quick to reference the law and court. But the number question a judge and the prosecution will ask: “was it fair?"

Definitely not. But we accept this.
These users liked the author mnmodels for the post (total 2):
V5 - LEOSteveJay
Morné Nortier
ZU-IPH CX150
ZU-ILG Project
ZS-MWC C150
ZU-IOY X350
FHV

Unread post by FHV » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 pm

PM sent to you Morne
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by danie.e » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 am

Two corrections:

1) I do not answer or even try to answer ALL questions about SAMAA
2) I have never touted SAMAA insurance

What I actually DO is comment like everyone else. My comment is pure and simple: Rather join SAMAA and be part of a collective that can go a long way in protecting the interest of RC in South Africa. Furthermore, the fact that there are insurance cover is neither here nor there. I have always recommended people to ensure they have their own liability cover.

The logic as far as legal matters is simple: If you do something idiotic, authorities will not only look at your actions in isolation but will start regulating the "sport" "hobby" which will affect all and not just the individual.

If you have a problem with the organisation, use your vote, canvass more votes, become involved and change what bugs you. If you just keep on posting in forums like this, you are achieving absolutely nothing except alienating prospective members. Even better still, form your own association and prove to authorities you can do it better. That way you can rid yourself of SAMAA and achieve your goals.

I do not condone the lack of correspondence from SAMAA but it is what we have. To constantly bicker and moan about it in social media will not fix the problems that exist. My suggestion is read the previous paragraph again.

The biggest problem we have in social media is that people read "selectively" and only attach value to portions that they either agree, have a problem with, or actually remember. The result is people are often labeled due to incorrect perceptions. Read whatever people write holistically and you may be quite surprised with what they are trying to bring across.

Finally, I took the trouble to phone SAMAA direct about what they are doing re the lock down. The reply was good enough for me and was in line with current lock down regulations. I talked to Bob Skinner for some time about the issue and requested they put in as much effort as possible to get us back flying and he gave me the assurance that they were trying their best.

People are comparing RC flying to the current easing of regulations for recreational angling, golf and even tennis. The number of people affiliated to their respective governing bodies tally in the tens and even hundreds of thousands and therefor have much more clout when lobbying authorities. SAMAA with fewer than 4000 members in my opinion does not really warrant the same attention as angling for instance.

It is my humble opinion that if RC enthusiasts all supported SAMAA, we may have had a stronger voice with authorities and possibly could even have been flying by now but alas............
Danie.e
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by danie.e » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:39 am

A Quick scan through the latest lock down regulations starting June 1, 2020 reveals that there is no mention of Recreational or Sport flying for full scale manned aircraft neither any mention of Radio Controlled aircraft. Just about every sport body one can think of is mentioned in the amended regulations. (except for sport like darts and snooker that is indoors which in itself is not contact sport but due to close proximity of contestants as in darts and and touching of snooker tables- which makes sense)

What bugs me of these regulations is that sport flying (which is a professional sport as well) does not feature anywhere. The regulations allows just about every other "NON CONTACT" sport and their respective controlling bodies to resume activities.

Now comes the real question: What clout does the "AERO CLUB" of S.A. have with the department of transport regarding all aspects of recreational flying in South Africa or is it just a "rubber stamp" authority for the department of transport.

Is this because we simply do not have sufficient numbers that participate or is this maybe because it is regarded as "a rich man" activity?

Is it not maybe time for all people involved in aviation to get together and form their own controlling body and lobby the dept until they are recognised as the only representative body for all aspects of recreational, sport, and professional flying in South Africa?
These users liked the author danie.e for the post:
mnmodels
Danie.e
mnmodels
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAOH
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by mnmodels » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:58 pm

danie.e wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:39 am
A Quick scan through the latest lock down regulations starting June 1, 2020 reveals that there is no mention of Recreational or Sport flying for full scale manned aircraft neither any mention of Radio Controlled aircraft. Just about every sport body one can think of is mentioned in the amended regulations. (except for sport like darts and snooker that is indoors which in itself is not contact sport but due to close proximity of contestants as in darts and and touching of snooker tables- which makes sense)

What bugs me of these regulations is that sport flying (which is a professional sport as well) does not feature anywhere. The regulations allows just about every other "NON CONTACT" sport and their respective controlling bodies to resume activities.

Now comes the real question: What clout does the "AERO CLUB" of S.A. have with the department of transport regarding all aspects of recreational flying in South Africa or is it just a "rubber stamp" authority for the department of transport.

Is this because we simply do not have sufficient numbers that participate or is this maybe because it is regarded as "a rich man" activity?

Is it not maybe time for all people involved in aviation to get together and form their own controlling body and lobby the dept until they are recognised as the only representative body for all aspects of recreational, sport, and professional flying in South Africa?
Danie e,

You have me confused now. You are the one that stated that this platform is useless and does not work!

I am glad you are beginning to see the light. If there is no law - then no law is broken. We are not puppets and pay for a service. The answer lie with the AeroClub of South Africa and SAMAA. I requested the names of the "SAMAA Management Team" as there is no mention of such team in the constitution. I also requested the application to fly under lock down to the DoT as the email state that SAMAA is monitoring the DoT.

We have heard that the 25kg rule was approved, waiting gazetting. It was 1 year ago.

As you stated, talking and writing on this platform will not change anything. Using the votes of paid up members will.
Morné Nortier
ZU-IPH CX150
ZU-ILG Project
ZS-MWC C150
ZU-IOY X350
Trevor Duane
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 79 times

Unread post by Trevor Duane » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:48 pm

mnmodels wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:58 pm
danie.e wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:39 am

Danie e,

You have me confused now. You are the one that stated that this platform is useless and does not work!

I am glad you are beginning to see the light. If there is no law - then no law is broken. We are not puppets and pay for a service. The answer lie with the AeroClub of South Africa and SAMAA. I requested the names of the "SAMAA Management Team" as there is no mention of such team in the constitution. I also requested the application to fly under lock down to the DoT as the email state that SAMAA is monitoring the DoT.

We have heard that the 25kg rule was approved, waiting gazetting. It was 1 year ago.

As you stated, talking and writing on this platform will not change anything. Using the votes of paid up members will.
As an indication of how quickly items can now be gazzetted the recent part 141 changes to the lockdown regulations were proposed on a Thursday and gazzetted the following Sunday. So questions regarding all other delays regarding the same become automatically valid.

What could be keeping this back 1 year later ?

Return to “Ask SAMAA”