What is SAMAA doing about lifting lockdown restrictions?

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 257 times

Re: What is SAMAA doing about lifting lockdown restrictions?

Unread post by danie.e » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Morne,

Jy is lid van Aero club - sekerlik moes hulle al iets reggekry het by dept transport ? - ek het met my laaste post gevra of Aero club nie dalk 'n rubber stempel is nie.

Gaan kyk op Govt se webbladsy dan kyk jy na die "amendments" vir lockdown tot sover in JUnie. Daar is 'n lang lys van liggame wat deur Govt genoem word maar lugvaart is eenvoudig net nie daar nie. Ek vra die vraag aangesien ek as 'n SAMAA lid afhanklik is van die Aero club maar as hulle niks kan regkry by dept van transport nie dan moet mens kyk of hulle enigsins inspraak lewer vir privaat lugvaart in S.A. (wat natuurlik ook RC insluit)

Ek vra hier omdat die grrotste meerderheid AVCOM lede volskaal vlieg en net 'n klein gedeelte RC. As lugvaart nie eers by Govt "feature" nie, dan moet daar sekerlik vrae gevra word? Ek weet hierdie is ne die beste forum daarvoor nie, maar tenminste kan dit my dalk help om meer inligting te bekom.
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
mnmodels
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAOH
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by mnmodels » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:05 pm

danie.e wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:46 pm
Morne,

Jy is lid van Aero club - sekerlik moes hulle al iets reggekry het by dept transport ? - ek het met my laaste post gevra of Aero club nie dalk 'n rubber stempel is nie.

Gaan kyk op Govt se webbladsy dan kyk jy na die "amendments" vir lockdown tot sover in JUnie. Daar is 'n lang lys van liggame wat deur Govt genoem word maar lugvaart is eenvoudig net nie daar nie. Ek vra die vraag aangesien ek as 'n SAMAA lid afhanklik is van die Aero club maar as hulle niks kan regkry by dept van transport nie dan moet mens kyk of hulle enigsins inspraak lewer vir privaat lugvaart in S.A. (wat natuurlik ook RC insluit)

Ek vra hier omdat die grootste meerderheid AVCOM lede volskaal vlieg en net 'n klein gedeelte RC. As lugvaart nie eers by Govt "feature" nie, dan moet daar sekerlik vrae gevra word? Ek weet hierdie is ne die beste forum daarvoor nie, maar tenminste kan dit my dalk help om meer inligting te bekom.
Danie,

Ek sal nie weet wat hulle maak nie. Die AeroClub het dit reggekry om Maintenance flights en Training flights oop te kry. Ek is nogsteeds geground in recreational met my full size.

Dit maak glad nie sin nie en dit is net so duister saak soos SAMAA.

Die vraag is: Het SAMAA direk aansoek gedoen by DoT? Of het hulle dit in die hande van die AeroClub gelos? Of het SAMAA besluit hulle los alles to LEVEL2?

SAMAA se track record om goed deur te voer onder vorige bestuur is nul! So ek hou nie my asem op....
Morné Nortier
ZU-IPH CX150
ZU-ILG Project
ZS-MWC C150
ZU-IOY X350
Marnu Bothma
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: Midwest model club Potch
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Marnu Bothma » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Why do we fall under sport I am sure that I buy my models at A HOBBY SHOP NOT A SPORT SHOP??
There is no regulation that says we are not allowed to participate in a Hobby.If so then my granny can't Knit at this stage of lockdwon!
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 344 times

Unread post by heisan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Marnu Bothma wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:16 pm
Why do we fall under sport I am sure that I buy my models at A HOBBY SHOP NOT A SPORT SHOP??
There is no regulation that says we are not allowed to participate in a Hobby.If so then my granny can't Knit at this stage of lockdwon!
But there is a regulation that says you are not allowed to leave home except for specific permitted reasons - and hobbies are not included. So you can knit at home, or even fly your RC at home - but you can't go to a club/field to do it.

At the moment, it looks more likely that sports will be permitted than hobbies, so maybe it is time to start thinking of it as a sport instead ;) .
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Alecgroen79
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Has liked: 0

Unread post by Alecgroen79 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Afternoon.

SAMAA takes note of the comments and frustrations highlighted in the trailing posts of this thread. This will be discussed in the meeting scheduled for Wednesday this week with relevant feedback to follow.

Have a great week.

Alec Groenewald obo the committee.
FHV
Engine full power confirmed
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by FHV » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 pm

=D> =D> =D>
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Trevorn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 am

Well done. Looks like our bicering may have yealded some results.

Also let's be realistic. I dont think SAMAA will be able to get us flying under level 3, but hopefully there will be better lines of communication from here on.

Maybe level two is only 2 weeks away.
Magnanimous
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: MMAC

Unread post by Magnanimous » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 am

I see we have a update from SAMAA.

RE: The latest Presidential speech held last night.

We take note of the announcement made last night, as from this morning, we are reviewing all options whilst consulting with relevant stakeholders. We will release a statement before EOB today.

Please refrain from spreading news on opening, thereby creating expectations based on own review of presidential speech.

Kind regards
Danie Potgieter
SAMAA Chairman
BobD
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: rand airport
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by BobD » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Big up to SAMAA for upping their communication game. Email received today that we don't fall under sports. Email below. Holding thumbs that they can get us flying soon.

SAMAA SMC Communiqué June 2020

Dear Members

The SMC had their first official meeting last night and felt that we needed to communicate with the members as soon as possible hence this communiqué which will be the first in what we plan to be a regular distribution to the SAMAA membership.

During the President’s speech last night he announced the opening of “Non-contact sports such as golf, tennis, cricket and others” subject to “specific and stringent safety requirements” and that “Announcements will be made in due course to detail these measures and indicate the date from which these activities will be permitted”.
 SAMAA are in now daily contact with the AeCSA regarding the matter to finalise the protocols and procedures required for the reopening of our clubs.

COVID-19 Lockdown and the grounding of model flying

SAMAA’s applications for earlier opening (from level 2 to the current level 3) to the Aeroclub of South Africa (AeCSA) and the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) was submitted via the appropriate communication channels on the 1st of May 2020 and the progress of our application has since been followed up weekly. On 15 June 2020 correspondence was received from the AeCSA (in response to rumours posted by SAMAA members that RC flying is allowed) informing the SMC that modelling activities remain restricted and that our application requesting the relaxation of the restrictions is being addressed by the SACAA.  

It is important to understand that the decision to ground model flying and close all clubs was NOT made by SAMAA or the AeCSA, this was a direct instruction from SACAA who class SAMAA’s activities as recreation in nature along with activities such as Sky Diving, paragliding, etc which all fall under the auspices of the AeCSA.
Other “terrestrial” sporting bodies such as tennis, rowing, etc, receive their directives from the Department of Art, Sports and Culture, however model Aviation falls under the auspices of the SACAA (via AeCSA) hence has  a very different set of criteria and requirements with regards the lockdown than other professional and recreational sport and hobby activities.

An explanation of the Regulatory and communications structure as it pertains to Model Aviation in SA is include at the end of this communiqué for your information along with a list of communications that were sent out during the lockdown period should you have missed some of them.

We await our next feedback session from AeCSA and SACAA with regards to the opening of our airspace and clubs and will revert soonest.

In the meantime, we urge all Chairpersons to maintain the lockdown of clubs and to encourage members to remain calm and patient, which is in the best interest of us all.

Official Communication Channels to SAMAA and the SMC

As in the past all official communications from SAMAA and the SMC to the membership will continue to be circulated via email as well as the SAMAA Magazine and the SAMAA Website.
We are pleased to announce that as from Monday the 22nd of June the SAMAA offices will once again be manned on a full time basis. However, due to COVID-19 restrictions, there may only be one person available at any given day so please continue to be patient should things take a little longer than usual.

As some of you may know your new SAMAA Management Committee was elected barely a week before the National COVID-19 lockdown was enforced and as such have faced some challenges finding their feet in their new roles on the committee but we are committed to returning our hobby and sport to normal.

We wish to thank the SAMAA membership for their patience and compliance with the limitations imposed on our beloved hobby during these trying times and we want to once again assure you that we are doing everything in our power to get us all back in the air again.

Please be safe out there,

Kind regards.

D Potgieter
These users liked the author BobD for the post:
SteveJay
Natural stupidity beats Artificial intelligence every time
rolfbartels
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: BRCC
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by rolfbartels » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Nice to see some clubs had their certificate of compliance expedited and others not, while a few clubs got to fly this weekend other just have to wait, would have be nice id SAMAA could have made sure it was fair to all ?
These users liked the author rolfbartels for the post:
Hybrydza
rolfbartels
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: BRCC
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by rolfbartels » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:57 pm

More clubs cleared to fly, including mine, thanks guys
Safetyman
Mags Dead Cut
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Safetyman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:24 am

Kudos to SAMAA for achieving this! I was wondering the same about not receiving a compliance certificate but I can assure you they are working very hard to get through all the applications. I received a call from Alec Groenewald (they are people - with families, who also need off time to rest / recover and spend time with their loved ones, yet they are sacrificing all of that so that we may fly once again...) this weekend to clarify some of the items in our application. I can assure you that they are very committed to ensure that all SAMAA clubs comply with the latest government regulations whilst providing us with the compliance certificates to fly.

On a side note - as we are racing towards 200k cases in South Africa, it is bizarre to see the contempt / ignorance / stupidity of some people out there wrt social distancing and basic precautions to limit the spread of COVID. These compliance procedures MAY (maybe not) seem like an unnecessary hurdle to some, but let’s comply and be professional and uphold the name of our game! 👍🏼

Return to “Ask SAMAA”