Extent of insurance cover.

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

KlapperKnop
Flaps set for Take off
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Extent of insurance cover.

Unread post by KlapperKnop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Lionel,

As a new person to this discipline, I would like to know how to proceed as the more I read on this forum, the more scared I am getting to actually fly my helicopter/s.

I would like to see which club is offering the best for my needs. So I go down to a club and pay my daily fee. In the daily fee is there any SAMAA insurance? Do I hover in SOLO if no club member is around? Next step, I join a club and would like to go to the field during working hours when most people are a work. Again, I am alone, no instructor, no club member to assist?

Was there ever an insurance claim through SAMAA? My apologies for all these questions, but I come from GAS CARS (SARDA) and the RISK with cars is no where near aircrafts, the Z dimension puts so much RISK to it.

I read some of the documents off the SAMAA website; very informative! Keep up the good work, I know the feeling when a person is on the committee and you get no recognition for your goodwill .....
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 am

KlapperKnop wrote:Hi Lionel,

As a new person to this discipline, I would like to know how to proceed as the more I read on this forum, the more scared I am getting to actually fly my helicopter/s.

I would like to see which club is offering the best for my needs. So I go down to a club and pay my daily fee. In the daily fee is there any SAMAA insurance? Do I hover in SOLO if no club member is around? Next step, I join a club and would like to go to the field during working hours when most people are a work. Again, I am alone, no instructor, no club member to assist?

Was there ever an insurance claim through SAMAA? My apologies for all these questions, but I come from GAS CARS (SARDA) and the RISK with cars is no where near aircrafts, the Z dimension puts so much RISK to it.

I read some of the documents off the SAMAA website; very informative! Keep up the good work, I know the feeling when a person is on the committee and you get no recognition for your goodwill .....
Hi,

By "daily fee", I assume you mean a landing fee which is typically payable if a person is not a member of a club & is the fee paid to the club for the use of their site/facilities. I must strongly suggest you leanr to fly with an instructor - from own experience, heli's can be somewhat expensive toys sans "assistance" ;)

At present, when flying in the presence of spectators, for insurance purposes you will need to be:

1. a SAMAA member (in good standing)
2. at least SOLO rated (heli's), or flying in the presence of a more experienced heli pilot (but no min. rating is specified at present for the "more experience" person)
3. flying at a registered site

If there are no spectators, it is unclear if claims will still be entertained by the insurer against other peoples property - a question that will need to be raised!

I assume that insurance claims have been forwarded to the insurer, but am not aware of any agreement between the insurer or insurered individual reached subsequently - I am still following this up.

Lionel
I just wanna fly
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 am

Lionel, I think you were maybe going into more detail than what I perceive KlapperKnop was looking for.

As I see it:
1. The club landing fee does not include SAMAA insurance. SAMAA insurance is included in your personal SAMAA membership. A SAMAA registered club is only meant to ensure that all members (and day members) have SAMAA membership.

2. If there are no other people around then there is no risk. SAMAA insurance only pay out 3rd party claims and unless you are flying from a club with very expensive stained glass windows you are not likely to break something expenses other than your motor car (which is not covered by SAMAA). Flying on your own needs to be advised against. If you injure yourself it would be nice to have someone to take you to the nearest hospital.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks Tanglefoot - 100%

Other negative aspects of flying alone are the security risks and the lack of social, which contributes to making this hobby truelly awesome!

Lionel
I just wanna fly
KlapperKnop
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by KlapperKnop » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks to both Lionel and Tanglefoot, much appreciated.
vlakvark1234
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: naaste grond pad
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by vlakvark1234 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:42 pm

is there a exess to be paid on a claim?
is there a minimum claim amount?

vark
You only live once!!!!
Live life!!!
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 am

Hi Vlakvark....

I believe the excess is between R10,000 - R15,000, but am not sure & will find out these numbers. There is no "minimum" amount as far as I know, with max cover up to R15 million I believe.

Regards
I just wanna fly
vlakvark1234
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: naaste grond pad
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by vlakvark1234 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 am

thanks

will wait for your response
You only live once!!!!
Live life!!!
l0n3i200n
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by l0n3i200n » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 am

LionelBrink wrote:

Hi,

By "daily fee", I assume you mean a landing fee which is typically payable if a person is not a member of a club & is the fee paid to the club for the use of their site/facilities. I must strongly suggest you leanr to fly with an instructor - from own experience, heli's can be somewhat expensive toys sans "assistance" ;)

At present, when flying in the presence of spectators, for insurance purposes you will need to be:

1. a SAMAA member (in good standing)
2. at least SOLO rated (heli's), or flying in the presence of a more experienced heli pilot (but no min. rating is specified at present for the "more experience" person)
3. flying at a registered site

If there are no spectators, it is unclear if claims will still be entertained by the insurer against other peoples property - a question that will need to be raised!

I assume that insurance claims have been forwarded to the insurer, but am not aware of any agreement between the insurer or insurered individual reached subsequently - I am still following this up.

Lionel
Lionel, just to be clear.

If a new heli pilot HAS:
1. A fully paid SAMAA subscription
2. Comes / join a SAMAA registered rc flying site
3. No instructors (advanced rated heli pilots) are present, a person with a SOLO would then be the higher qualified / more experienced person, thus allowing the new pilot to do hovering and allow the SOLO rated pilot to assist the new pilot?
4. If no one is present the pilot is allowed to fly on his/her own at the registered field?
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 pm

l0n3i200n wrote: Lionel, just to be clear.

If a new heli pilot HAS:
1. A fully paid SAMAA subscription
2. Comes / join a SAMAA registered rc flying site
3. No instructors (advanced rated heli pilots) are present, a person with a SOLO would then be the higher qualified / more experienced person, thus allowing the new pilot to do hovering and allow the SOLO rated pilot to assist the new pilot?
4. If no one is present the pilot is allowed to fly on his/her own at the registered field?
Hi,

I believe your points 1 & 2 are self explanatory... :-)

3. Yes. Since this is not specified in any documentation I have been able to find to date for helicopters, SAMAA would have to view SOLO as a higher proficiency than someone who does not yet have any proficiency rating. The specific club's local rules may dictate otherwise, in that it may require a min. proficiency for instructing a discipline?

4. The issue that I can see for this point would be that no insurance claim could be entertained in the event of property damage, etc. as a more experienced pilot was not present & assisting. This may also be affected by the registered club's local rules (which may also specify that anyone without a proficiency rating MUST be accompanied at all times during practice/flight). Also, depending on the field location, I would caution from a pure safety point of view of ever venturing out "alone" to practice?

Regards
I just wanna fly

Return to “Ask SAMAA”